Hello everyone!

Alexfrog

Warlord
Hi everyone, I've played Civ3 on and off since it came out, and recently got the expansions and have been playing it again recently.

I love a lot of the changes in it, and the new civs, new units, new wonders, etc.

Some thoughts:

Generally, I had played on Emperor mode, it did pretty well at it. I played a game as Sumeria on Demigod mode, and did well, managing to gain a tech lead in the middle ages, got tanks 4 techs ahead of anyone else, and conquered 60% of the world before running up against an opponent with tanks. It started out good, with me getting a scientific great leader in 2000 some BC and rushing the pyramids. And a settler off a goody hut around the same time...

Deity level just seems to crush me. I'm playing one now on Deity as the Celts. By the time I met the AIs, they had swapped all their techs, and I was left in the dust. I managed to trade the Americans a luxury for a tech. I got Iron, upgraded a number of Warriors to Gallic swordsmen with the money I'd saved all game, and built some more. When my luxury trade negotiation wit hthe americans came due again, I this time gave them two luxuries and gpt for 3 techs. I then demanded that they remove units from my territory (there were probably a dozen in my territory). The declared war.
I then used a few guys to kill a couple units in my territory, had moved 3-6 spearmen each to several threatened cities, and took two american border cities with stacks of 6 gallic swordsmen. Those cities were their Iron city and their Ivory city. :)

After fending off a couple dozen swordsmen for a few turns (a few at a time), I held everything, and got 2 techs in the peace deal, and gave them Iron and a couple luxuries to get me almost through the ancient age techs.

This is where I am now:
I am missing Currency and Construction in the ancient age. I bought Republic of fthe Mongols for Horses, Spices and a lot of gold, and switched to it. The AIs are a couple techs into the middle ages, so I am still 4 techs or so behind them. I am still smaller than both my neighbors, and Americans now have Pikemen and Midieval infantry. I'm worried that I wont be able to take much more of their stuff...though I desperately need to make another attack to get a couple more cities, and techs in peace to catch up.

Regarding the new civs: I think Agirculture is amazing! I'm feeling that Scientific and Agircultural are the best civ specialties (scientific better with the new scientific leaders). However, while I was able to make a great use of scientific trait on Demigod with the sumerians, now I cant manage to keep up in tech on Deity. Is scientific just worthless on deity, or is it possible to get ahead? If so, what do I need to do? Do I just need to find the AIs first before they find each other?
Any advice?

My thought on civ attributes is: Scientific, Agricultural, Religious: choose two. Celts and Sumerians are my new favorite civs, and both have good early UUs.

I love Pangea maps and I really dont like Archipelagos, because it annoys me to build and use ships. I tend to only build about 2 ships a game, to scout for distant civs. But then I read a comment that Deity is easier on Archipelago because the AIs dont find each other as fast? So maybe you dont get so far behind in techs, and its possible to keep up? Is this true? Do I need to try archipelago?

Thanks for reading & comments...

I can't answer your question as I struggle on Monarch, but I just wanted to say "Welcome to CFC!" :)

If you do try Archipelago, be the Byzantines (Scientific & Seafaring). Their Dromons are excellent at bombarding, have an extra attack, and seafaring gives them 4 moves.

You are doing better than me! The best level I've won at is Monarch. I also feel that Scientific is a good trait to have, and I am always a Scientific civ - there are so many to be and it has such good bonuses. Check out the CIV3 war academy there some good articles there on deity playing and warmongering.

Have fun!

Pangea maps are hard on deity and even harder on sid. Either go to contients or reduce the number of civs for the map size. Island maps are the easiest as you already heard.

I would go with tight placement and try to pick a UU that helps with the map. IOW on islands MW is good as it can come early and have 2 moves. This is useful vs barbs who are no push overs on deity and sid.

If you are on pangea, you maybe want to consider the impact of being forced to an early GA, but I like a strong ancient age attacker. Just use the tight spacing so if you do trigger the GA, it is not a big loss as you have more cities and tiles.

Alexfrog are you the Moo2 player? If so good to see you, otherwise ignore this post.
Sorry for the OT.

vmxa said:
Alexfrog are you the Moo2 player?

Yes.

So, maybe I'll have to learn to build naval units. :)
I also like good anicent UUs, and I just accept the early GA. Its worth it when by attacking you can take cities and territory and then get techs for peace...

All things are relevant and an early GA is surely one. It can save a game, even in despotism at the higher levels. Players seem to prefer to get one in the middle ages, when you have a good size empire and worked tiles are improved, especially for Emperor level. This gives you a huge boost. If you were to play on into Ind age you have an even bigger empire, but you make a trade off. Yes you get more out of it, but it does not have the impact.

I mostly play at sid for the last year and I want to hold off my GA, but on a pangea map at say Demi you can use the GA to hurt someone and get that buffer you need.

Like most things in civ, it all depends. Good to hear from.

My current game, I triggered my GA in turn 1 of my attack. 4 turns later got peace, got techs, traded for republic, revolution. 1 turn anarachy (religious) and then I got into Republic with 2/3 of my GA left.

Alexfrog said:
My current game, I triggered my GA in turn 1 of my attack. 4 turns later got peace, got techs, traded for republic, revolution. 1 turn anarachy (religious) and then I got into Republic with 2/3 of my GA left.
Unless you're in despotism, never, and I mean never, change governments during your GA. The lost of production isn't worth it, even if you're religious.

YNCS said:
Unless you're in despotism, never, and I mean never, change governments during your GA. The lost of production isn't worth it, even if you're religious.

Well, obviously I WAS in despotism...
Still, I think you could come up with times when the change during the GA is worth it for religious civs. Its just a cost/benefit analysis. If the amount gained from the government for the remaining turns of the GA is greater than the loss of 1 turn, then its worth it.

citizen001 said:
The higher the level, the more defense and artillery you need.

Usually I tend to attack with 2 movement units. Move from my territory into theirs, attack the city. Attack with plenty of guys to take it. Then, now that I control the roads, move in my slower defensive units (say, spearmen) into the city (and onto the space where some of my 2 move guys are 'stranded').

Or in my current game, just be Celts and have a 3/2/2 unit. :)

I have never used artillery units much. I guess I need to learn to use them more. But it means I have to stop for a turn next to their city. And I want to take their border cities in turn 1 of the war. (having brought the war about by demanding they leave my territory, then when they declare war, I attack their cities and a bunch of their units in my territory, that turn, before they get to react).

Alexfrog said:

That is making the best of bad situation. I am seldom religious, so I cannot risk a 9 turn anarchy.

Alexfrog said:
Do I need to try archipelago?

no. you dont. archipelago will be easier but you dont "need to try archipelago".

actually from the sounds of it you are doing quite well. get used to the idea of being behind in tech. it will happen more often than not. if you are not more than half an age behind when you reach the industrial age you will probably catch up during that time. furthermore it is not necessary to be even in tech to be able to win a war. this becomes especially true once youve got replaceable parts where with artillery (or if you are one of the heathen who prefers bombers) you can take on and win a war against someone with tanks. late in the industrial age espionage becomes an extremely efficient way to catch up in tech and you will eventually get the tanks that your enemy has.

so hang in there. yes i agree archipelago is easier. but you dont "need to try archipelago". play out your game and show us a win :goodjob:

may i remind you of this observation. in most games the ai research slows way down late in the game. first off they get caught up in fascism which while OK for large empires if hardly ideal they seem to like fascism even when their empires are small and that hurts them badly. secondly they usually get immersed in wars which hurts their research even more. then you have civs getting conquered which gives occasion for trade catch-up. then after they are conquered you have less ai to trade with each other and that helps you even more.

your game is fine. keep at it :)

Top Bottom