Help,advice needed about machine gunners!

Wardie9

Chieftain
heya

i in a bit of a problem in my game, and need some advice.
Its around 1800AD, i have infrantry etc etc and quite a lead in technology, but not a huge one. I am located on an island with only one other tiny civ, who i managed to bloke to only own around 10% of the island.

However on my part of the island there is no oil, not even any offshore. However there is one source located next to one of the AI's citys, i was wondering what to do, so i thought i need to for planes, other untis etc. So i thought yeh invade no problem, i took a few of his citys easily, as he was using mainly old units.

However, the city i need is defender by 2 machine gunners, i can bombard with artilley, included navel bombardments. But my best unit would be marine, but it would get mowned down by the MG's, any help/advice how to finally kill these MG's??!! or am i just going to have to get about 50 infrantry units and use brute force, with high amount of kils?!

cheers for reading
any help would be greatly accepted! :)

hey thanks!! i didnt realise, you have just saved many infrantrymens lifes :)

Bombard with artillery. Once city defend is down to 0%, attack the the artillery to cause collateral damage. Then send in the marines.....

Something else occurred to me too-MGs are classed as siege (artillery) units, not gunpowder units, even though they later upgrade to SAM infantry which are gunpowder units. Which makes waves of infantrymen going "over the top" against them a bad idea (the infantryman's +25% bonus is only against gunpowder, not artillery units). Marines, artillery barrage attacks & airpower (if oil available) are the way to go. Interestingly, when MGs were first developed they were so heavy they were often under the control of the artillery branch of many land armies pre-WWI...

and even now, if you ever take a machine gunner's course they teach you how to do indirect fire with GPMG+

(I thing they should be able to reduce city defenses)
(and flamethrowers units whould be in there to cause collateral dammage)

Top Bottom