Help Build a Wonder

Trekkie Spice

Chieftain
One of my caravans was passing through a city which did not want it's goods. You normally get two options either continue journey or sell goods there anyway, but this time I had a third option of Help Build a Wonder. I was building a Wonder in the city. If my caravan terminates there what benefit do I get, it didn't complete the wonder.

If you use a caravan to help build a Wonder it puts the full 50 sheilds you used to create the van towards whatever Wonder you are building. You only get this option when building a wonder. This lets other cities in your realm help contribute to the building of your wonder. (the thought is that they send materials or workers to help build the wonder). If you were to "disband" units, you only get half the sheilds, but Caravans and freight you get the full amount of sheilds preserved.

One quirk later in the game. The game considers Wonders and Space ship parts to be of the same "category" so there is no penalty to switch production between these types (there is a 50% penalty to switch between Units, Improvements and Wonders). You don't get the option to apply a freight to a space ship part, but you can put a freight toward a wonder, then switch to a SS part with no penalty. A lot of players will stockpile dozens of freights prior to starting the Space race due to this ability to use freights to speed production.

Many thanks. I've seen it several times and not done anything about it, now I know what it does, I can put it to good use. :) :)

Before you discover Trade you can stockpile Diplomats (assuming you have Writing...) to move shields without paying the unit support costs, but you lose half of the Dip's shields when you disband him to help the building. Also note that Caravans only contribute half their shields if you use them to help build City Improvements or Military Units.

Also if you are planning to stockpile caravans/freight for Wonder building it is useful to deploy them as food so that you do not use up one of your cities commodities.

;) :cool:

Top Bottom