Help! Can't see research percentage or change its investment

Hussarknight

Warlord
The research percentage and plus and minus (also for espionage) does not show up at the top left corner or anywhere else on the screen. I really cannot find it. Why is this and how can I get it back?

EDIT: This is the same in vanilla

Last edited:
The research slider is hidden away until you reach Writing. The espionage slider is hidden until you reach Politics. I adapted the code that normally hides the Culture slider until Drama to apply to the other commerces as well.

I'm trying to convey the Ancient Era as being about survival, and having a lot of limitations that are removed as you progress through the tech tree. You don't just get everything at once.

I think it would be nice/wise to have a popup message at the star of the game that tells players about such important changes to save them from confusion.
A message like in C2C that tells players that "This mod is awesome!" :twitch:

Last edited:
Personally dont like this new feature but its easy to disable, just need to remove commerceinfos file in xml/gameinfo/

I think it would be nice/wise to have a popup message at the star of the game that tells players about such important changes to save them from confusion.
A message like in C2C that tells players that "This mod is awesome!" :twitch:

I might look into this if we can make a BUG option for it so you don't have to see popups you don't want. I really don't like any kind of forced tutorials, especially on replays.

Personally I dont like switching to the new Tribute Civic and being penalized for "Taxes" that I not only cant change, but cannot even see.

Seriously where was this new code to hide the slider added?

Last edited:
If you want to change it, edit or delete Assets\XML\GameInfo\Civ4CommerceInfo.xml. Deleting it will cause the sliders to revert to their default BTS behavior: Science slider unlocked from the start, and Espionage slider unlocked as long as you are in contact with at least one other civilization.

I didn't think the unhappiness from Tribute would be that much of a problem, but the next revision will move unlocking the Science slider at Code of Laws in the mid-Ancient, with Slavery tech and the Tribute civic not available until after CoL.

I didn't think the unhappiness from Tribute would be that much of a problem
Player receives penalty from X, player cannot interact with or see X. Its just a bit awkward really. Offputting to new or returning players. As others have mentioned not really a problem if addressed in a FAQ or if the change is communicated in some other way.

Top Bottom