1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Cant Win!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by emopants, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MAS

MAS Deity

If you have a problem right now, its usually because you did something wrong in the past. From your current position, it is impossible to win, but If you still have the 4000BC save... try again, and see if you can do better this time...

PS: please don't upload .bmp images. They are uselessly big in file-size, convert them to .jpg first...

2. emopants

emopants Chieftain

yea but still?

3. ignas

ignas kunigaikstis

I don't think it is impossible. It depends on many factors:how big is AI tech lead, is your reputation already trashed and etc, are you able to make peace now? If you are, make peace. Military build up, 20 vet archers and your island should be again YOURS. Then tech trading (2fers, 3fers) if you are not whole age behind, military alliances and so on. After all it's regent. I can try to play after i get home from work

4. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

The Vikings have Berserks and he has Spears to defend. ;) I'd say it's already lost by now.

5. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

I completely disagree that it's impossible to win.

it is hard, but possible.

There are 3 problems:

1) Behind in tech (by many techs)
    2) No barracks, so all forces are regular
    3) Berserkers are awesome.

There are several things that can help you, though

1) No iron means you can build warriors fast to act as MP
    2) Lots of money
    3) Berserkers are slow and the AI is terrible.
    4) It's regent, so the AI doesn't have any built in advantages
    5) You have horses

I picked up the save - by 1200 AD, I had 1 barracks producing vet horse, 1 city producing cats and 1 producing reg warriors for MP and had grabbed a couple of my cities back.

Game is still tough, cause the start position is bad and Russia is way behind in tech. With invention, longbows are as good as anything else. Once you get all your cities back, build a few aqueducts and get larger.

6. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ I was talking about the 1000 AD save. :) Did you use the 1000 AD or the 770 AD one?

7. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

You should post an earlier save or start over. That starting location is horrible.

8. AutomatedTeller

The 1000 AD save.

It helped that about 4 turns in, Japan declared war on Scandinavia all on their own.

9. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

I am also trying to recover from the 1000 AD save. Looks like a good challenge.
    I gifted Hamurabi to MA, but he got feudalism :( .
    I then gifted Joan to MA, then traded feudalism for republic and immediately switched (3 turn-anarchy :) ).
    Traded peace to Ragnar for almost all my gold + 1 gpt.
    The city placement was way too loose. I added 2 cities in my small territory.
    I then rushed libraries everywhere, hoping flips which didnt come :cry: .
    Built then barracks + horses, and some cats. Tokugawa attacked Ragnar a bit later than in AutomatedTeller's game, and captured almost all vikings towns in his continent, while Ragnar got all japanese cities in my island :D .

I declared war to Vikings in 1330 and recovered my whole island in 1370.:)
    I am currently in 1535, way behind in tech, but nothing is lost.

10. emopants

emopants Chieftain

wow your good. BTW the game settings are conquest only and flips are off

11. AutomatedTeller

btw - one thing that happened in this game is that you were unfortunate enough to get scandinavia as an opponent. Usually, the AI lands an archer and a maybe a spear on your land, maybe a sword, and it's kind of a pain.

I assume that the berserkers attacked from the sea and that's hard to deal with.

12. King Hannibal

King Hannibal Chieftain

You can only build archers? Then build heaps put them around the edge of your island problem solved if they cant load troops on your island they cant take your cities (this is nulled when marines can be built)

13. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Aargh! I saw in the F8 screen that it was conquest only, but didnt think flips were off. I see flips as important part of the game and never turn them off.

Well, that means that i wont be forced to raze the last viking cities if i can get them before Japan.:)

14. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Looks like an exploit. And since berzerkers are amphibious, it wont work against Vikings.

15. Rising Star

Rising Star Warlord

That won't work, he's competing against Scandinavia.

16. Rising Star

Rising Star Warlord

Double post

17. aluka

aluka Warlord

Berserkers have amphibious attack though?

I was watching something on tv hence the late crosspost :D

Maybe try for a better starting location that one is pretty bad especially if you're not comfortable at regent yet.

18. MAS

MAS Deity

Yup, build galleys, and sink their galleys before they reach your land.

19. Rising Star

Rising Star Warlord

He could do that without surrounding the entire island with archers. Quite frankly it would be better to simply do that, and use the archers for offensive war. But Scandinavia's Beserkers make it impossible for the simple D-Day prevention idea that King Hannibal stated. That would work with everyone else, but not the Vikings.

20. drakdan

drakdan Prince

I started from the 770 AD start, and it looks like it will be pretty easy to clear the Vikings from our island. The major obstacle here is that I can't do Spaceship or Diplo wins. Conquest only on a large map with a start that's ~150 turns behind the others? At least they won't be able to win.
    Histographic is a possibility I guess.

Made contact with Rome 900 AD, traded Currency/Monarchy for Republic, immediately revolted. Vikings down to 1 city on my island.
    950 AD: Entered Republic, cut my military down to 14 units (to be 10 units, for no unit support costs, in 2 turns.) I plan to make diplomatic embassies around the globe and ignite a world war, with Japan as my next target. Hopefully the Vikings will declare against Japan with me. (+53 GpT)
    980 AD: Japan declared on the Koreans, and I established an embassy with the Vikings in the hopes of getting them to attack Japan. I notice that Trondheim holds the Great Library. Good.
    1040 AD: I don't have a clean rep. Dammit. I make deals, end result being -43 GpT for Scandinavia fighting Japan and Inca fighting Rome. Normally I'd be sad but the way it looks that money probably can't do much else. At the moment I am massing galleys for trying to hop to Trondheim.
    1060 AD: Declare on the Byzantines. Get Babylon to Ally against them for Currency and Construction, gifting them into the Middle Ages. Trade Literature and Feudalism for Monotheism with Babylon. 92 gold and 2 GpT for America to Declare on Japan. 5 Gold for America Vs Byzantines.
    This is like conquering the world from Madagascar.
    I guess ROP Raping the Vikings is my only chance. Here's a diagram (attached), blue for units, red for ships, green for where I load units from ship to ship to shore all in 1 turn.
    1265: Capture Trondheim from a ROP Rape.
    1270: Great Library gives Chivalry, Engineering, Invention, Gunpowder, Theology, Printing Press, Banking, Astronomy, Chemistry. I have no iron or Saltpeter, but both are near Trondheim, if only I can drop a settler there before Japan grabs it away. For absolutely no reason at all I don't get Music Theory, which at least 2 civs had before this (Byzantines, Japan both building Bach's.) I trade my techs away for 3 luxuries, 2 from Babylon, 1 from France. 1 from Japan for 11GpT, less than the lux slider. 25 turns to research an unresearched tech, 14 for Music Theory. Damn this.

I see no way to curb Japan's empire. It also does not help that Japan has no dangerous civs on their border, with Korea holding a long, small, and weak empire that has been beat previously. Also there's nothing quite as fun as having 6 Samurais on mountains surrounding your vital resourcetown. Save attached if anyone cares to try it out.

Attached Files: