1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Civ II won't even install on Win7 64bit

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Mia_Wallace, May 26, 2010.

1. Mia_Wallace

Mia_Wallace Chieftain

I really really hope someone can help me here: I was so afraid of it, and now it has happened: no matter what I try, I cannot even run the setup of civ II on my new computer. Win7 tells me immediately, that this software might not be compatible with 64 bit, and that I should check with the software company...I tried different compatibility modes, I tried downloading some patches recommended here, but nothing worked so far...:cry:
    When I use the patch from Mastermind (civ2xp64patcher.zip) on the civ.exe file, I get this response:
    Creating file backup
    F:\CIV2\CIV2.TMMbak
    ERROR : File backup failed (F:\CIV2\CIV2.TMMbak)
    ERROR : Operation aborted
    Does anyone have any idea what I could do (or what I'm doing wrong?)?? I have to admit I am not very skilled in this computer-stuff, so please make it simple if you have any idea...I am desperate!!!!
    Mia

2. geofelt

geofelt Chieftain

civ2-2.42 is a 16 bit program that can't run on a 64 bit system. Civ2-MGE is a 32 bit version that will run, but there is a patch that is needed.

3. ralphbrown

ralphbrown Chieftain

GEOFELT said that civ II - MGE is a 32 bit version but how can I get it. Is a download available? aslo the patch?
    I have the 2.42 version but that will not even start the install under win 7 (even though it installs and works fine under Vista!!I tried on a friends machine.) so I cannot use the upgrade patch. Presumably the MGE will at least install, then if a patch is required I can do it.

4. geofelt

geofelt Chieftain

You can get civ2 MGE on e-bay for about $5.

5. SoulBlazer09

SoulBlazer09 Chieftain

If you find it that price, sell me a copy! :)

I have the same issue -- don't have MGE, just Civ 2.

Can't even install the game on my Win 7 64 bit system to patch it to get it running.

Anyplace I can find the game allready installed to download it?

6. geofelt

geofelt Chieftain

Well, maybe not $5 anymore.
    But here is a link that starts at $10:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Civilizatio...4984?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item43b05a9408

As far as I know, the only civ 2 product that will run on 64 bit is the mge or gold edition.
    And, it needs a patch to do so.
    The big problem is an insanely agressive AI, on any level that makes the game less fun.

I resorted to instaling XP 32 bit on a backup PC to get my civ2 2.42 fix. Actually, it is Future worlds which seems to run better.

7. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

Hello Guys! I'm a poster from Civ IV forums. Now I found old Civ II from garage. I'm not a computer wizard yet, but I have Asus Win 7 laptop with 64 bit system. I tried to play and here too it starts to complain about noobie 32 and 64 bit crappy things... I'm not even sure what type of Civ II it is. In the boxart there are: 1. White/Grey frame where is text: Best of infogrames and in down-corner: "Complete version". 2. Inside the frame is text: Sid Meier's CIVILIZATION II the ultimate version of best selling strategy game. 3. Picture of Statue of Liberty, elephants and ship. Okay thats it. So it won't even setup. If it totally won't work on my computer how about upgrading my game to MGE with Cedric's files and then use the Mastermind's application?? I tried it but I don't know where should I put the Cedrics files when there is not Civ II document b/c it doesn't run the setup. Same thing to Mastermind's application. New document? What to do? You might think that I'm just stupid but help is still appreciated. Thank you :worship:

8. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

Okay, I made a little progress here. Still I don't understand one thing: Where is the /Civ2 folder or document or whatever!!?? I can't find it. I mean: where to put the files made by Cedric??? Help appreciated :)

9. Blasph23

Blasph23 Terraformation Junkie

Your best chance is to emulate 32 bit windows, preferably XP, install the 2.42 or any earlier version version of the game, but I believe this one was the most common, patch executable with 3 patches described somewhere around this forum, all in proper order (last I remember it was MGE patch -> AI patch optional -> x64 compatibility patch), then just copy the installation to your win 7 x64 and run from there. No need to install it from scratch, a patched version just copied to whatever folder will work under x64, with CD in the drive or image emulated via virtual drive.
    I'm looking for that guide since I recently lost my patched version of civ2 and need to make a do-over, only having 64 bit systems available.

EDIT: To put it shortly, it's perfectly possible to run a stable Civ 2 MGE version on win 7 x64 with AI patched so that it's not permanently hostile anymore.