Help customizing map scripts?

Silverence

Chieftain
I have this huge issue with civ IV that is so silly but really prevents me from enjoying the game. I wish there was a way to fix the probability of resources, specifically mineral resources like rock and iron, so that they significantly more often appear on hills. Also, wouldnt it make sense if many of the big food resources (rice, wheat etc...) could only appear on flat grassland? I know its stupid, but I hate getting burned in starting location, using the world builder, then not even feeling like continuing because I cheated.

1)Like all other C&C subforums, this area is for completed items, not questions.

2)There is no set way for a map to handle resources. You will need to look in the script(s) of interest to you and figure out what it does. Either that or try out some of the custom scripts posted here and see if perhaps one of them suits your needs.

I have this huge issue with civ IV that is so silly but really prevents me from enjoying the game. I wish there was a way to fix the probability of resources, specifically mineral resources like rock and iron, so that they significantly more often appear on hills. Also, wouldnt it make sense if many of the big food resources (rice, wheat etc...) could only appear on flat grassland? I know its stupid, but I hate getting burned in starting location, using the world builder, then not even feeling like continuing because I cheated.

Usually, crops like rice, wheat and corn are only supposed to appear on flat land. If you are seeing those on hills it's likely a bug in the map script or mod you are using. As for the metals, I think gold and silver are set to be only on hills in the BonusInfos.xml file. Iron and copper can appear almost anywhere though. That's actually kindof realistic I think. I know that large iron deposits can for in sedentary rock for example. There's a place by my house in MO where I found huge chunks of iron ore, and it's fairly flat.

Sorry, I didn't realize I posted my question in the wrong spot. I'm really new to posting on here even tho I've been using this site for a while. I'll search around in the bonusinfos.xml file and see what I can do. And btw, cephalo if PerfectWorld is your work, its amazing. You did an excellant job. I'll see what I can do to change this stuff a bit on my own, but I really don't know what I'm doing. And you are actually right about Iron and Copper being in sedentary rock, its not so much a realism thing with that for me as much as it is a preference thing. I hate seeing Iron and Copper (and stone, aluminum, uranium and obsidian for that matter) pop up next to a river through grass land which is prime for a cottage or farm.

It's been a while since I looked at the XML, but there should be a tag called isHills or something related to hills. Check the settings for gold and silver, they only appear on hills.

In Civ4 BonusInfos.xml you can use the bFlatlands field to cause the bonus to appear only on flatlands and bHills to cause it to only appear on hills. You can also specify individual terrain types using TerrainBooleans.

I'm not familiar with map scripts, but I'm guessing that they can ignore these values if they wish to. However I would think that most of them wouldn't do that without a reason.

Top Bottom