1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Duplicating / Editing Units

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by JamesRoper1403, Jul 2, 2017.

1. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

*** UPDATE***

I'm having another go at trying to add some new units to my game prior to the expansion pack coming out. I figured out copying units from the base game, but I cannot figure out how to use the artdef from other sources...

I'm not sure if I have the folders setup incorrectly... But for example, I made the MOAR units a dependency, and copied the artdef for the Equite unit, but it still doesn't show up in my game.

What am I missing? Is anyone able to offer any assistance?

Thanks!

Spoiler Original Post :
    I had a simple little mod that I enjoyed in Civ 5 - I had added some extra naval units by duplicating existing units and tweaking their stats.

In the previous game I just altered a framework for changing a unit that someone posted on here. Can anyone give me a framework or assistance in doing the same thing in Civ 6?

I'm looking to change the combat stats / cost, change the melee naval units into naval ranged units, duplicate the battleship and tweak it to become a battlecruiser, things like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

3. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what to do exactly... I tried imitating the data of the Yamato from the moar units mod to add a Battlecruiser instead, but was not successful. This just seems way beyond my comprehension...

4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'm still looking/hoping for someone to come with an easy way to do it.

Or some kind of documentation for modbuddy, maybe there is already an easy way to do it...

raen likes this.
  5. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

There is a ProxyUnit entry in the Units entry in Units.artdef which I think can be used to reuse Unit graphics but you still need a separate entry for each new Unit so that isn't really a big improvement over copy/paste the Unit entry completely. Hopefully Firaxis will improve how this works at some point.

6. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome. It's a shame there isn't more support for you from the developers right now.

Is there anything that might help guide me through adding a duplicate unit to the game so I can change the stats and text details?

7. Deliverator

Modbuddy has an example template for creating a New Unit mod based on existing art. That should get you started. Other than that you'll just be copy/pasting values from Units.xml for the Gameplay data and Units.artdef for the art.

8. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

I've managed to get new units to show up in game with the icons and text that I'd like, but they are showing up as warriors when I build them.

For example, I've been working on the Cruiser artdef and making sure its matched up to the destroyer which I was basing it on, but it shows as a group of warriors. I'm not sure what the issue is... Is anyone able to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Update - Uploaded latest version of the mod

Update - Uploaded latest version of the mod again

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  9. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

I'm having another go at trying to add some new units to my game prior to the expansion pack coming out. I figured out copying units from the base game, but I cannot figure out how to use the artdef from other sources...

I'm not sure if I have the folders setup incorrectly... But for example, I made the MOAR units a dependency, and copied the artdef for the Equite unit, but it still doesn't show up in my game.

What am I missing? Is anyone able to offer any assistance?

Attached Files:

10. raen

raen Coat of Arms

I replicate units in my mod all the time, since i dont have the skills to fully import from civ 5's units at the moment....

I think the problem you having is related to the icon, but let me see later.

Edited: but i didnt tried from moar...but i want too

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  11. JamesRoper1403

JamesRoper1403 Chieftain

Icons seem to be ok - it’s just the unit art that doesn’t appear. When I try to use artdef from anything other than the base game I just get an invisible unit.

12. raen

raen Coat of Arms

Yeah, not the same problem I used to have, I actually don´t get any unit from moar or built any on modbuddy, still to get there yet...

13. Deliverator

14. raen

raen Coat of Arms

@Deliverator That tutorial is very nice! Its the same for ships? Or a manual for ships is to come out? THANKS

15. Deliverator

raen likes this.