Help! Every turn Gold is Dropping!!

flyingawaytoday77

Chieftain
Hi

I was playing civ and i was somewhere at 100AD, the tech research percentage started to drop when my gold reached 0. Why did i lose gold? how can i make gold rise not fall. i had a few cottages being worked on, but still it continued to drop. Can someone tell me what to do?

Thanks

david1128nova said:
Hi

I was playing civ and i was somewhere at 100AD, the tech research percentage started to drop when my gold reached 0. Why did i lose gold? how can i make gold rise not fall. i had a few cottages being worked on, but still it continued to drop. Can someone tell me what to do?

Thanks

Too many cities.

I've done that before.

Around how many cottages should i have in each city? and also when necrolyte said " too many cities ", i had 4 cities and it continued to drop. what are the things that even cost maintanance?

thanks

courthouses help alot with that, plus markets and stuff like that, that will improve how much gold you gain per turn

Cities in general cost maintenance, get Courthouses/markets/grocers up.
and for the cottages, an easy way, to remember is Cottage all grassland/Floodplains, and 1/2 of plains.
This is a general guidline, before people start saying i'm wrong, it's a good way to begin with, because the amount cottaging depends on your cities.

If you only had 4 cities, then I suspect you had a bunch of units.

In the early game, when you are not making a lot of gold, there are several things that can kill your economy. Namely:

Too many cities (and their associated maintenance costs)
And with the cities, they cost more the bigger they get, so over time expect same number of cities to cost you more and more.

Too many units (and their support costs)
And with the units, they cost a lot more when they are in enemy territory, so going to war and moving 15 units into AI territory will instantly create a gold shortage.

Generally, my pre-courthouses war is one where I raze most cities (keeping only capital or holy city, and maybe one other)

After couthouses, I can keep a few more.

After currency, even more.

After Guilds even more, etc, etc.

There are several distinct techs that will help your gold intake, and you should always be careful about expanding too much when you are not close to one of these tech points. (CoL, Currency, Guilds in the early going. Banking, Printing press, Liberalism in the mid-game.)

dalessi12 said:
If you only had 4 cities, then I suspect you had a bunch of units.

In the early game, when you are not making a lot of gold, there are several things that can kill your economy. Namely:

Too many cities (and their associated maintenance costs)
And with the cities, they cost more the bigger they get, so over time expect same number of cities to cost you more and more.

Too many units (and their support costs)
And with the units, they cost a lot more when they are in enemy territory, so going to war and moving 15 units into AI territory will instantly create a gold shortage.

Generally, my pre-courthouses war is one where I raze most cities (keeping only capital or holy city, and maybe one other)

After couthouses, I can keep a few more.

After currency, even more.

After Guilds even more, etc, etc.

There are several distinct techs that will help your gold intake, and you should always be careful about expanding too much when you are not close to one of these tech points. (CoL, Currency, Guilds in the early going. Banking, Printing press, Liberalism in the mid-game.)

as you said that "if i had too many units and their support costs", what does that mean? what are support costs? where can i view them?

Depending on lvl of difficulty you can build a number of units with out a support cost.After that set number you have to start paying gold to support any uints above the number of free units you are allowed to build at that difficulty level.You should be able to find the number of free units under the difficulty settings section in the manual.As for unit support cost I think you will find that under the section for units.If I remember correctly any unit built over the number of support free you units you are allowed to build will cost 1 gold per unit.At settler lvl you may get 10 free units.So 15 units at that lvl will cost you 5 gold per turn because 15-10=5.Hope this helps.

COUGAR69 said:
As for unit support cost I think you will find that under the section for units.If I remember correctly any unit built over the number of support free you units you are allowed to build will cost 1 gold per unit.At settler lvl you may get 10 free units.So 15 units at that lvl will cost you 5 gold per turn because 15-10=5.Hope this helps.

Sorry but i don't understand what you mean:(

david1128nova said:
Sorry but i don't understand what you mean:(

You have to pay 1 gold for every unit you have. Depending on the difficulty, you get a certain number of free units. At high difficulty, you get very few free units, at low difficulty, you get a large amount of free units.

david1128nova said:
Oh I see. by the way do you have to route every cottage?

Nope; you just have to have citizens working them.

david1128nova said:
Oh I see. by the way do you have to route every cottage?
You only need routes from developed resources to your city and from city to city. Rivers act as routes if the resource or city is on the river bank, but only between cities on the banks of the same river; linking two rivers by road does not work.
To see what's costing you gold, either press F2 or click the "dollar" button at top right of the campaign screen. (Try the other buttons there as well, to get more info.)

Also check your civics. Some of them have high costs.

Top Bottom