1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help For Empress Boudicca

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by silverbullet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet King

Hi,
    I have been playing Monarch with quite consistent wins, and recently started to get some Emperor wins. I am struggling with this game.
    Please give suggestions for possible strategy.

I am thinking, settle in place, research fishing. Build partial worker until fishing is done, then 2 workboats while researching mining and bronze, then switch to worker to mine all those forest hills.

Attached Files:

2. silverbullet

silverbullet King

So, I have tried reloading the game and restarting it several times, and it always ends up badly.
    I would love it if one of the experts can give me some advice on winning this game or show me what I do wrong.

Spoiler :

I am in the same continent with Alexander and Sitting bull. There are no horses or bronze nearby, and I don't succeed to expand fast enough and avoid getting attacked by Alex later.
    The only good side of it is that it seems the other continent is very busy with wars. I was the first to philosophy, and in one try I was the first to code of laws.

3. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

I am thinking that you can beeline for iron working after your essential worker techs, should not waste time with religious techs, and attack Alex with your UUs and maybe some catapults (building duns for extra guerrilla promotion), leave Sitting Bull alone for now since he is protective and he is generally peaceful. Since it is a warmongering game, you can try running SE, emphasize production cities, and use whipping and chopping to get out your troops faster. After you are done with Alex or seriously cripple him, you can attack Sitting Bull once you have maceman and other medieval troops.

4. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

I agree. Avoid religion, tech IW. Sitting Bull ends up backwards later in the game 9/10 times, so I'd say stay peaceful with him then attack him later. If you can wipe out Alex and then expand peacefully for awhile then attack Sitting Bull when he's backward that would be a good plan. However, attacking Alex isn't always a walk in the park, esp if you have to tech through IW. I'm not sure how much room you have. If you had enough room to get 8 cities peacefully then I would do that and gun for advanced tech to compete (Alex and Sitting Bull are both slow-techers). If you could hit them with cavalry before they have rifling you could do a lot of damage in a short time frame.

5. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

This is a VERY hard map. I played up to 1440 AD. I can definitely win the liberalism race (the AI is that backwards on this map) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to out tech the other continent. If all goes well, I should be able to mop up my continent post-rifling but it's going to be a slog and I may just hunker down for the SS victory instead.

As the OP said, there is no bronze or horses nearby. Bronze is totally out of the question and horses are a stretch (I barely beat Alex to them). Alex is also close enough that you'll have to attack him, or he will attack you first. I ended up warring for a very long time and I was worried it would affect my tech rate but the other continent warred more than I did. Honestly if this is your first emperor game, I'd just boot it and start a new one. The land that you have available is not the greatest as the non-jungle land is all in the direction of Alex :(

Here's my tech screen. Yes this is emperor at 1440. Lots of warring = bad tech

6. silverbullet

silverbullet King

Well, it's my 3rd emperor game, so I thought I would actually give it a try rather than quit. Thanks for the responses. It seems that any kind of initial "peaceful" expansion is doomed on this map. Even when I got Alex to fight with sitting bull, he still ending up attacking me as well.
    As suggested I beelined to Iron Working after fishing and found some iron nearby (I was also lucky to pop mining from a hut, and with all the seafood research wasn't that slow). The map doesn't have a lot of bronze, so Alex had mostly chariots, and had just started building some phalanx and swordmen, so I attacked him, disconnecting one of his iron resources, and got some help from barbarians who pillaged his 2nd iron mine. I crippled him to 2 cities and went fast into builder mode, building all cottages and farms, whipping courthouse. I could finally bring my science slider back to 50%.

Sitting bull is expanding and building lots of wonders, but he is pleased and I think would not backstab. I won the liberalism race. The game is not won yet, but I think I have a good chance to take over my continent with rifles.

7. Florian

Florian Prince

Wow. There are currently FOUR threads on the front page that are all asking the question, "What do I do on Emperor?"

FOUR!

It's going around....