Help getting a difficult leader to capitulate

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mariogreymist, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

The setup: I am Ragnar of the vikings, in the midst of Medieval carnage galore. I have already subdued all the major powers on my half of the Large Terra continent on which I started (Prince, Marathon). I am out to bring Justinian to his knees, so I may snicker as he kisses my ring, but alas...the bastard won't capitulate. I am sure the fact that I've been razing his cities left and right isn't helping matters much, but there must come a point when he realizes it's capitulation or death, right? Can anyone give me a better idea than killing his people until his pride fails?

(Image is showing my largest stack moving towards the next target, which is laughably about the average level of resistance I stand to face as this continues)

2. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

The problem is Julius Caesar. He's dragging the average power down and Justinian is feeling stronger than he is. TMIT mentioned a game where an AI wouldn't cap. Then he deleted his weakest vassal in WB and the other one was immediately willing to surrender. Gift JC your old troops and some cash so that he upgrades them.

3. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Good advice, though he capped as soon as I captured the city I was approaching, losing a whopping two Berserkers in a frontal assault. I think I may be able to finish off a conquest before the industrial period - something I've never done on a large map before. Depending on how quick Elizabeth is, I might get it done before anyone (except me) even makes a musket.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If you can get someone else into war that borders your target, that helps capitulation tremendously also. Just be sure they don't vassal to your war ally.

5. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

That wasn't really an option here, as the only neighbor who wasn't my vassal was England, and Betty hated me nearly as much as did Justinian. (Though she bowed to me as soon as I captured her capital)

And I finished before anyone had gunpowder or developed liberalism...never done that in a conquest win before.

6. Psimon

Psimon Chieftain

Congrats. I'm playing on the same level (noble, right?) and have used Praetorian and Keshik rushes, but not finished a game off before Industrial. Currently playing a religious/cultural with Ghandi, but next I just might try the Vikings.

7. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Thanks. It was actually Prince, but the strategy works fine for Noble too. I actually wrote up a lengthier description of the game if you want to see how the overall strategy was executed.