HELP!! How do I add another civ to an existing scenario?

AGRICOLA

Warlord
1. In a scen (TOT) with 5 civs, I need to add another civ . . . the Dummies.

I've taken the original .scn file, changed its suffix to .sav, used hexedit to replace the name, adjective form and leader of an unused civ with the corresponding particulars for the Dummies, done the same in the Leaders section of Rules, and saved as a scenario. That didn't work.

Is there some easy way to do this? Starting from scratch is not an option.

2. Along the same lines, is it possible to add one or more maps to an existing single map TOT scen? If so, how?

1. Never tried it. I'm looking through the ToT saved game format. Try editing byte 686 which controls the tribes left in play. You may also have to hex edit the ownership of another tribe's city or settler unit.

2. Yes, Map menu → Import map. Map needs to be the same dimensions as the original. One caveat: doing so clears the ownership bits on all map tiles. One consequence of that is that if you allow goodie huts in the game, any popped ones will reappear. It's a bug.

Don't know if it works for ToT (does for civ classic and mge), but you could start the game and chose a weak civ and conquer the capitol (don't know if must be at least size 2) of a stronger civ (having 3 or more cities) by using cheatmenu to empty capitol and add unit of weaker civ near that city. This should cause splitting the stronger civ up in 2 civ's (the old one and a new one). Only problem is that some already placed cities will belong to the new civ

Have you tried Civtweak?

Thank you everybody for your help! :high5:

CivTweak is a dandy little application - just the ticket for adding a civ.

Fortunately, I was able to arrange things so that the key Dummy unit, an Engineer, is invisible, immobile and immortal without having to use a second map or impassable terrain.

Come to think of it, I have used CivTweak, but many years ago, to reset city styles. I hex edit that type of thing these days; it's faster when you've got several tasks to perform, not all of which can be carried out by utility software. It's terrific if you're not familiar with hex editing.

On the map importation issue: I checked a bug list I have, and other side effects of clearing the ownership bits include disappearing cities and messed up zones of control. It happened when Harlan Thompson and Techumseh imported extra maps into an unfinished LotR scenario of mine. One of them figured out that it could be reset by toggling goodie huts on and off under Scenario Parameters.

Come to think of it, I have used CivTweak, but many years ago, to reset city styles. I hex edit that type of thing these days; it's faster when you've got several tasks to perform, not all of which can be carried out by utility software. It's terrific if you're not familiar with hex editing.

On the map importation issue: I checked a bug list I have, and other side effects of clearing the ownership bits include disappearing cities and messed up zones of control. It happened when Harlan Thompson and Techumseh imported extra maps into an unfinished LotR scenario of mine. One of them figured out that it could be reset by toggling goodie huts on and off under Scenario Parameters.

There's a blast from the past! I still have all those old files. Sometime the convoluted and conflicted story of WOTR's genesis will have to be told. :popcorn:

Top Bottom