[R&F] Help I'm addicted to the Aztecs- what other Civ should I play

gadgetfreaky

Chieftain
I used to really love Turtle Civs- espeically in Civ 5. I used to avoid wars and build my cities usually to a cultural or science victory.

However last few months I've been playing the Aztecs and I' can't get enough.

I love the ability of that Civ to use other Civs to build their empire. It's ridiculously fun even tho I know it's overpowered.

What other Civs would you guys recommend that have the same level of fun?

I love Scythia for the "Carpet the World with Cavalry" fun. Indonesia is pretty fun for the naval shenanigans. I still haven't been able to grok the Zulu but that's because I've also cranked the difficulty back up after just playing around in the kiddie pool after beating Deity.

I'd say you can have the same sort of fun with the Mapuche : using your enemy's strength for your benefit.

Forward settle, run a bread and circus project, declare war while it runs, and make the nearest cities fall like dominos by targeting the units.
I guess it's more easy on paper than in game, but with the right timing, you can grab a handful of cities with minor diplomatic repecussions.

I liked Scotland. It was fun trying to be happy and get great people. Sort of a neat puzzle

I'm normally a turtle-er, too. I randomly rolled Shaka in a recent game. Lemme' tell 'ya, the Zulu are awesome! The ability to upgrade melee units to Corps/Armies is ridiculous. Extra loyalty for garrisoned units just keeps the train rolling as you conquer cities. I went from a small gaggle of lowly spearmen to a juggernaut of unstoppable AT armies in the blink of an eye.

Yeah the Mapuche are my favorite new civ - the early combat loyalty flip seems like an interesting mechanic and I didn't really utilize it that well last time. Mongolia is a lot of fun too with their cavalry steal which is similar to the Aztecs. In my last game I was capturing war carts and varu - it's pretty cool that you can assimilate other UU that you can't even build. My personal favorite is Arabia - they have a lot of flexibility with all that faith and science rolling in, a powerful UU (which you still have to survive at least an era to get), and the benefits of a religion without having to cripple yourself early.

The Aztecs are super fun but they are too overpowered IMO - they make the game rather easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom