1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help installing please

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by gerwalk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

I'm not a tech or computer person at all. I downloaded the rar file and used 7 zip to extract files to the BTS mod folder. And ROM folder is created with a BAK torrent and configuration file. I've loaded the mod from BTS but you can only play BTS despite the fact that it says ROM 2.92 is loaded.

Can anyone help please?

2. satrapper

satrapper Chieftain

it sounds like you havnt extracted it properly or that you havnt actually downloaded it at all. the full ROM folder when extracted will be almost 1GB in size. placing any kind of folder (with anything in it) in the mod folder will make it show up in the mod menu in bts.

your rom folder should look something like this:

Attached Files:

3. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

Thanks Satrapper. I downloaded and extracted 2.91, much easier. However, when I load the mod the BtS screen appears. When I check options it indicates that the Mod is loaded (as does the note in on the upper right section of the title page) but neither the Sevopedia nor any of the new civilizations are loaded.

4. satrapper

satrapper Chieftain

again, that implies that while you have a folder in beyond the sword\mods called rise of mankind (or something akin to that), you dont have any of the assets and so on extracted out. or that you have recursive folders.

i think :)

look at the folder path in that screenshot i posted. make sure you have similar. check for mods\RiseofMankind\RiseofMankind. check that you have all the stuff extracted out like in the screenie too, not just a rar file sitting on its own :)

(edit) i just noticed your post on the torrent thread. you seem to have extracted that fine from the rar file. however if i understand you correctly, you need a little help at that point. torrent files are like links to stuff held on other peoples computers. to download the items contained in a .torrent file you need to download a bit torrent client (program) and use that to run the torrent file. while it doesnt require major skills to do all this, i get the feeling you might be best served by just downloading RoM from the web here

5. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

What is a recursive folder or a screenie (screen shot)? Thanks for the link, the file I am discussing is the ROM 2.91 file from the Game Front website.

I've tried uploading pictures (pic and pic 2) to help you out, my first attempt. It looks like I'm missing a BAK (last) file and the file before that in pic one. However, they may be located one level up, see pic two. Sorry ,not sure how to embed them directly into this message.

Attached Files:

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Your problem is you have RiseofMankind2.91 as the Main folder for the Mod with the "Needed" Rise of Mankind folder inside of it.

Cut the Rise of Mankind Folder that is inside of the RiseofMankind2.91 folder and Paste it directly into your BtS\Mods Folder. Then Delete the now empty RiseofMankind2.91 folder.

You should be good to go after that.

Every time that you have 2 "Main" folders for a Mod, one inside the other you will have a Loading problem.

JosEPh

7. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

Thank you so much guys. Your suggestion worked JosEPh. I've been testing the game out and running into problems with the game crashing when loading a saved game. A bit frustrating. I've begun searching threads, including this one.

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Are you selecting Max Compat save game or standard BtS save game? Will make a difference. They don't like being interchanged.

If you want Max compat saves all the time without the expanded save pop up, change the value 0 to 1 on this line in A_NEW_DAWN_GlobalDefines found here \Assets\XML. It's at the bottom, above the last define, use notepad or wordpad to open with:
    Code:
    <Define>
    		<DefineName>ALWAYS_USE_MAX_COMPAT_SAVES</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>[color=red]0[/color]</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>

Otherwise iirc, the autosave will be regular BtS and be incompatible with the Max Compat save. Or vice versa. It's been awhile since I dealt with this but it was a common save game problem.

JosEPh

9. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

Thanks. I'm using ROM 2.91 not New Dawn if that matters.

What is a Max Compat save? I'm using the "Esc" key to bring up a menu then saving the game. The problem occurs in the high BC era 1500 to 0 BC. The saves before that actually load without crashing the program.

I searched the ROM Assets/XML folder and only found these references to saves:

Code:

GlobalDefines

<Define>
    		<DefineName>QUICKSAVE</DefineName>
    		<DefineTextVal>QuickSave</DefineTextVal>
    	</Define>

<Define>
    		<DefineName>SAVE_VERSION</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>302</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>

GlobalDefinesAlt

<Define>
    		<DefineName>BUG_BUILDING_SAVED_MAINTENANCE_HOVER</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>

Attached is my XML file. What am I missing? Thanks again.

Attached Files:

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

My bad I had AND on the Brain when I posted. Duoh! :p

So you can play up to ~1500BC, Hmm, What game Options did you select? Like REV? The version of REV in 2.91 had known Bugs. I advise new players to not use REV at all for RoM. With REV Off I don't recall having a save game issue with RoM2.91.

But there are many combinations of Options. Also iirc, using Limited Religions with Choose Religion caused problems too.

Was there a particular Tech, Wonder or Event that occurred and then this problem started?

Do you have another (older or earlier) version of RoM in your BtS\Mods folder? I don't think you do, but this can cause problems too.

Can you load a save game from the Auto save file and play from it?

JosEPh

11. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

No worries at all. Satrapper mentioned a problem with REV's and I have that aspect disabled. I had the ROM download in the MOD folder but removed it, I did not have an older ROM version in the MOD section.

I usually play a custom game with Pacal II, Tech Diffusion, Dynamic Names and Barbarian Civs enabled. I also play with Random personalities, No tech brokering, Random Seed Load, and City flipping after conquest. I'll play Gigantic (or the biggest maps) maps with Snail (or the slowest turn settings) settings with the default number of civs given.

I notice that there are options ticked on the Rev tab (opened by hitting esc and clicking on options) once the game starts. Do I need to un-click these options?

There does not seem to be an obvious trip aside from the time period that causes the problem. Usually the save-loads are used to save units/cities/civilizations in combat, and I'm successful most times.

Although it is possible that there is a trip that I just do not see (number of units produced, empire size, number of cities created, overall awesomeness of game play on my part, etc). Different wonders were produced in the two games. The first game save-load-fails started at 1500 BC and the second game save-load-fails started at 240 BC. I'm not sure about events, they seem to re-occur.

Anything look suspect? Besides my use of save-loads...

I'll try the auto save feature, thanks for the help.

12. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

I was thinking quick save when auto-save was mentioned but I've been using auto-save to try to load games.

I tried testing a game where I removed (unchecked) all Rev mod options. The rest of the options stand as mentioned before (Using Pacal II/Gigantic size/Snail speed/ Default # of civs/etc). I tried quick-saving loads in addition to auto-saving loads.

The saves stopped loading and ended with the game crashing (With the note Civ 4 has stopped working) at 420 BC, before that the loads worked. Shortly before that I noticed troubles with loading saved games, both auto and quick. I had recently developed Trade and was making Caravans. I noticed that the Sphinx was recently built. My research rate recently dropped to 35% because I built four cities. This is similar to my second game (number of cities built or seized/ tech level adjustment for income/ Wonder advancement). I'm not sure if the aforementioned means anything. Perhaps the save coding changes at a certain point during the game. Any ideas?

Oh I tried modifying video options (to low) for a few games but that did not work.

13. satrapper

satrapper Chieftain

you sure youve got enough RAM? (right-click "computer", then hit "properties").
    can you upload a save that causes problems?

14. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

What is the number of default Civs for Gigantic I've forgotten. Iirc is over 20 Civs.

Yes like satrapper said, this could be a Ram issue. Have you stated what OS you are running?

What are the sizes of your save games around this Crash time?

More details the better.

JosEPh

15. gerwalk

gerwalk Chieftain

Thanks again folks.

RAM 4 GB/3.75 GB available

Attached are two games that fail to load. The sizes are 600+/900+KB.

Default number of civs in Gigantic 15. I have played with more in a LOR game before.

Again thanks for the attention and help.

Attached Files:

16. satrapper

satrapper Chieftain

hey gerwalk,
    sorry i didnt get back to you sooner, not that this response will do much good:(
    those saves don't load for me either. i dont have a debug dll or source for this mod so i cant even say at what point its failing to load. nothing major in the logs. its only running at 500MB ram at that point so its not like its memory prob. only things that spring to mind are to check that civ is patch to 3.19 (should say on the main menu under advanced settings or words to that effect) and that when you do start a game dont change any settings in BUG or otherwise from what you started with.

oh and try AND latest svn instead:)

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

:D Yes Please do! :D

Do you like it so far satrapper?

JosEPh :)

18. satrapper

satrapper Chieftain

yep! sweeter than a sweet sweet thing :)

still sad that krome died though:(

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I like to think KROME is just hibernating. Maybe jtanner28 will show back up. And I need to PM Isabelxxx if she still has write access to KROME.

AND2.0's next major update will be a balancing of build times against gamespeeds. 45*38'N is working on that.

I might have a few small tweaks inbetween now and then.

JosEPh

20. 330H

330H Chieftain

and how does one get their folder to look like that?