help - lost autosaves on cotm3

rrau

Emperor
Help - I was playing cotm3 and got to 1200bc and stopped, but just left the autosaves. Later in the day, a shogun scenario was started and I lost my cotm3 autosaves :( . Is there any way to get it back?

It sounds like you have overwritten the saves from the COTM with those from the shogun game. If you have you might have blown it.

If you haven't overwritten them ie. you didn't play up to 1220 BC in the shogun game. There are programs that can allow you to recover dumped or deleted files.

There is a utility that I used once called Rundelete - there are probably many others. I used it to see if accidently deleted data was still on disk. In my case it wasn't and had been overwritten. I'm no expert but I believe when a file is deleted the executable is removed and it can be subsequently over written but until this happens it is still there and can be restored by these sort of utilities.

IIRC you run it. Look in the autosaves folder of conquests and the deleted files will be flagged with a red marker by rundelete. Whether you want to recover it is up to you - I think there is a risk of overwriting existing files with the recovered ones or in the case of large chunks of data wiping your entire drive.

Well, I downloaded it and tried it, but it had already been overwritten, so I guess I won't be playing and submitting cotm3 :(

rrau,

I have written an tool that transfers autosav files automatically to a designated backup folder.

I use this tool when playing the cotms.

However you need VB.net to properly run it. If you don't have VB.net, tell me which excell-version you have. I can propably create the same tool in excel.

KingAlbert - thanks for the offer, but I don't have either. I only have microsoft works spreadsheet (came with the computer). I just need to not stay up to get the game and start playing at 4am to about 6 am then quitting and going to bed without saving (Isn't there an often repeated chant about not playing after midnight? - I think it applies here :crazyeye: ) This was a one time freak accident caused by lack of :sleep:

rrau said:
Help - I was playing cotm3 and got to 1200bc and stopped, but just left the autosaves. Later in the day, a shogun scenario was started and I lost my cotm3 autosaves :( . Is there any way to get it back?
I don't know if it's different in C3C, but if you didn't play the shogun scenario to 1200 BC it shouldn't have overwritten that autosave.

Unfortuately it was played to 1450 by the time I noticed it :(

I have a java utility which copies autosaves to a backup folder. It's not pretty but might do the trick. Probably ought to put in at least some text help on how to use it though. :)

If you are using Norton AntiVirus Professional Edtion you can get the auto save back.
I've never done it but when I empty my trash can all the auto saves are there so I know this may work.

If you are reloading a game, then it will only overwrite when the turns match up. If you start a fresh game though, it flushes the autosave dir...

For what do you need autosaves at all. Just save your COTM if you are done.

As long as you do not overwrite THIS savegame, you do not need the autosaves.

Is it necessary to submit the latest row of autosaves, too? I thought the final turn, e.g. the one and only save, is enough.

Longasc said:
For what do you need autosaves at all.
Well, you could run them through my CRpStats program and create some graphs from the data produced. I also tend to generate all of my screenshots for the spoilers using the autosaves rather than creating screenshots as I play.

thanks tarkeel, I didn't know that. I've had 2 different games going at the same time with autosaves on both before. However, one was always a cotm or gotm that was just a load game function and not a start new game function. Now I know where the mistake happened at and will make sure it doesn't happen again :)

Dianthus, how does your program work exactly. I have installed it, but not really used so far.

I have only around 5-6 autosaves, and those are the last 5-6 turns. Is this not too few data for a graph that makes sense? Or must I run the program all 5-6 turns or in the background. Sorry if this gets a bit off topic, but you pointed out a use I did not notice up to now.

Longasc said:
Dianthus, how does your program work exactly. I have installed it, but not really used so far.
There are 2 parts relevant to your question.
  1. Run CRpMapStat while you're playing, and enable options in the preferences to monitor autosave directories and to copy autosaves.
  2. Run CRpMapStat when writing up your spoilers to extract data from the autosaves. Use the "File->Load .sav files" menu item, then select all of the .sav files you want to load (Hint, use Ctrl and or Shift).

[Edit: Once loaded the data for the currently visible tab can be copied to the clipboard using the "Edit->Copy" menu item, then pasted into your favourite spreadsheet application (I.e. Excell)]

Longasc said:
I have only around 5-6 autosaves, and those are the last 5-6 turns. Is this not too few data for a graph that makes sense?
It'll produce data that makes sense, but it would be much more interesting to have ALL of the autosaves ;).

Top Bottom