Help me create a mod?

John Mason

Chieftain
Any takers?

This is my first time posting on CivFanatics so please be gentle!

I have been looking for a long time for a great LOTR mod for Civ 5. I have one that I like a lot, Middle Earth Civilizations (credit to SSU yenyang) but there are some changes I'd like to make to it, especially after playing Winter is Coming to Civ Deluxe (credit to VirtuaBoza, Amp; Luir, Nokmirt, Sebitudoreci) which is amazing.

So, to put it bluntly, I'd like to incorporate WiC to Civ into an LOTR setting. Is it simply possible to rename/edit the races within WiC to be LOTR oriented? I love that in WiC you have wonders that only that race can build. I love that they start out with tech (trapping for House Stark, masonry for House Arryn as examples) that I think would add a great touch to the LOTR realm.

So, I'd like to create that, and frankly I'd like some help. That help can be "here's how you do it, silly" to "pay me and I'll swap them out for you"
You modders have my respect, and any help that turns into a workable mod I will give you the credit for it.

And, if this is the wrong spot to post this, simply let me know where to put it and i'll delete and repost it elsewhere.
Thank you in advance ladies and gentlemen.

Hello.
Firstly, I think, you should to decide, what exactly you want to make.

Ofcource, many things will come in the process. But what should be the main in your mod?

for example:
- Reskin of terrain
- Names of units, cities, biuldings, techs
- Leader, factions names and perks
- Models of units and objects
- Storyline and special maps

Thanks for your response Progenitor Race.

What I'm looking for in particular is the basic play of the Winter is Coming to Civ deluxe but with a Lord of the Rings theme.
I have a pretty good idea of which race i'd like to sub from LOTR to WiC. The terrain can be the same, the techs can (and I definitely want them to be .. WiC really is a masterclass in how to mod he left nothing out honestly) be the same.
Cities I'm familiar with how to change.. I do it now. Names of Units and the units themselves can be tricky for me I've only done it once and it was a lot of trial and error.
Leaders and races will obviously change but the existing perks in WiC I would just keep for LoTR.
Models of units I would keep, objects are fine, I could rename the World Wonders and re-picture those? Like when the picture comes up when you build it. Not sure how to do that, but it must be in a database. I've changed the Leader skin for Dorne to so I'm somewhat familiar in how to change the skins. Not at all a pro at it.

Storyline and Maps? maybe that's more for a scenario setting if I'm understanding right? I could and would change the write up for each race and maybe even record my own voice as I read it.

So, in a nutshell, I'd basically be remaking WiC with a LoTR theme and changing as little as possible.

How's that sound? Appreciate your advice.

Top Bottom