Help me do this@!

BigNHuge

This... Is your story...
Ok heres the plan. I have 6 nations on my continent. I have the most land but i dont have the tech lead. Im now researching Literature. I know for a fact that ill get gl first. But the problem is, i dont no if after i get the gl should i turn off all research until education is gotten by them or should i turn on research when mid age starts. Im going for space race on regent. Should i go monarchy or republic not knowing what i should do with so many nations on 1 land. thx a bunch:saiyan: :saiyan: :saiyan: Long live the true super saiyans.

My answer will be different than most of the advice you read here. Even when I get the Great Library I continue to research. I purposely avoid researching items the AI will probably research soon. I like to keep an advantage in techs. I play on Regent, and that makes a difference. On higher levels I assume it would be tough to keep a tech lead.

The most common answer would be to turn research down to 10% or 0%. With your research that low, you will have lots of gold to buy techs in the future, or rush a whole snot pot full of military units. It makes sense; I just can’t bring myself to do it. I like to play a certain way, and if that means I cannot advance to a higher difficulty level – oh well. I play to have fun not to advance and impress people. I have been playing for a year and a half and am just now up to Regent.

Turn off Research until Education is discovered. It makes no sense to put money into research when you are going to get the Techs for free until then. After Education is discovered, boost your Science Research as far as you can. This way you make a lot of gold while the other Civs do your Research. After you get Education, I would plan on attacking the weakest Civ on your continent. One that borders you. Take their cities, land, workers, (Techs if you can get them out of those cheap SOBs) :) luxuries, and resources. That way you have plenty to trade with the other Civs and you become more powerful. Hopefully one of the other Civs will Research Chivalry before Education. If not plan to Research Chivalry, then rush a bunch of Knights. You can make horseman now and then upgrade them. You should have plenty of Gold to do that. Then go on the Attack. This way you get a Great Leader too if you play your Elites right. With the GL you can build your Forbidden Palace in a nice spot and double your Civs output. Then you will be in a postition to Tech broker using Tech, luxuries, resources and gold. Go gettem tiger! :)

I agree with Minstrel - to make the best advantage out of the GL you need to use it as an opportunity to earn cash.
On the other hand, researching a different tech (like Printing Press) which the AI's do not prioritise on, is an excellent way to stunt the AI's research (by making them pay whopping gpt deals for it) and simultaneously stimulates your own bank account/research capabilitys.
So I would def. drop research spending down a lot, but not turn it off completely.

all the above and ...

When you get a free tech, see if some nation don't have ir yet. If so, try to get some more money, lux or resource for it.

Until education try to get the more gold/military you can ... Then attack. If your military is extensive try to attack the most advanced civ, probably they have some more tech. You can get that tech in a peace agreament and hurt one good civ:evil:

Hmmmm six other civs on one continent........ first thin the herd.....
What civ are you playing?
I'd likely continue to research at a minimal amout towards Currency for marketplaces. The AI's will provide you with Monarchy and Republic via GL, so don't waste time on those. My understanding from reading the posts here is that Currency is a low priority for the AI. If you get it first you can build the marketplaces (prebuild if you can) and trade the tech for more cash (not tech, let the GL do that for you). Set research low and add a scientist in a high corruption town to give the research a bit of a boost.

I will usually turn science off then buy improvements that I need in my core cities so I can then build up my military

I'm with Spike59. Keep research and go for the techs that have wonders so can get a head start on them all.

Trade a tech to a civ when you are half way through building the wonder that comes with it.

While putting science to 0% is a good idea I would say....

if you have a larger empire compared to your rivals, and if you are generating decent commerce, and because you are going for a space race and because you are playing regent you should put your science to 100% and leave the AI to dust.

When I sometimes play regent I build the GL so that no one can get the advantage of it and then go on doing my own research. I usually enter the modern age when my next nearest civ in tech is slowly hobbling onto the Industrial ages (and yes they include scientific civs too).

When I get the GL I continue research at full pace and go for the Monoteism - Theology - Printing Press line, then I change to Education/40t. This usually gives me techs up to Gunpowder, and sometimes I even got Astronomy.
When you have PP you still have a tech to bargain with together with Education if someone else research it before you do.

If you turn your research to 0% you can only hope to keep up, not pull ahead. I've found it best to research techs that the AI avoids, techs that lead to wonders(especially Invention), and higer costing techs(for instance Chemistry instead of Chivalry). You will still get plenty of free techs. Selling techs is a good way to make money in this situation, just don't sell those that will give your opponents an advantage. Giving techs to slower civs is nice and helps them stand up to your mutual enemies.

Top Bottom