Help me, I can't finish a game anymore!!

Starting saves?

I don't finish games because a) Civilization IV gets really tedious once you have a lot of cities and units and b) the first 100 turns are the most fun. There's nothing like the novelty and excitement of rolling a new map with random settings.

I also find that playing openings out to about Currency or so can be more fun than the late game slog, as clearly evidenced by my lesser grasp of the game the longer it goes on :p Winning with Tanks or the Spaceship is still winning, but it feels less impressive...especially when I'm just clicking end turn a lot. But yeah, I agree that a lot of fun can be had in the puzzle of making the best of your start. I stopped picking my civ for that reason in my random games.

However I find that to be a motivation to try to win earlier, so one can avoid that stagnation that creeps up. It feels more satisfying and like you're more in control of things to win in a timely manner. When I first started playing my goal was always to beat the 50% mark (1700AD or T250 Normal speed). I don't think I'll ever post up some of the crazy finish times that (for one example) I've seen Gumbolt do, but any game where I don't have to go to Space or Tanks to win is more fun to me.

I don't finish games because a) Civilization IV gets really tedious once you have a lot of cities and units and b) the first 100 turns are the most fun. There's nothing like the novelty and excitement of rolling a new map with random settings.

I agree to a very large extent! It can get quite tedious shuffling a gazillion units around and micromanage a ton of cities.
The start of the game is full of excitement, exploring the land and staking our a part of it, getting introduced to your neighbours, making tough choices with techpath and so on.

But I have (sort of recently?) learned to appreciate the late game more and more.

There's nothing wrong with restarting new games again, and again. You'll acquire good fundamentals and game mechanics a lot quicker the more starts, and or turns you play (assuming you play with a specific purpose in mind each turnset). The most important part of the game is the initial turns, which in turn automatically sets up your end game into a much stronger position. This also means you should embrace the Reload option because it will also facilitate a much steeper and quicker learning curve. No doubt, reloading is the best way to learn.

I have always been the kind of player that usually plays the first map (without regenerating) and play it to the end. But nowadays I can't finish a game anymore. Now I play for a while and when the AI settles in one of my spots I just create a new game, if I start playing and there are not near perfect spots to settle my cities I start a new game, if I start a war against someone and get backstabbed by Catherine I start a new game, any stupid thing is a reason to start a new game. What have happened to me? Has anyone gone through this before?

I've played CIV for years, and I have countless games that I have failed to finish. From day one.

Although I never start a new game if I don't get a perfect spot.

The best thing for me and always has been, is the earlier parts of the game.

Top Bottom