1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me improve my game!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by godevils, Nov 22, 2009.

1. godevils

godevils Chieftain

Long time lurker of this forum. Would like to learn the skills to take me from Noble to higher levels. I try to mimic games but never can sustain others' strategies. I think my problem is managing my cities opitimally. Would really appreciate any of your wisdom and ideas given this game. The settings for this game are as follows:
    Noble
    Shuffle map
    Epic

My random leader is from Khmer.

My tech path was agri/ah/wheel/writing/masonry/pottery/math/archery
    Barb huts gave me bw and mysticism.

Axe rushed Zara, and currently my three workers are 1 chop away

image one0000.JPG

image 20000.JPG

image 30000.JPG

Here is the save
    View attachment Zara's gone.CivBeyondSwordSave

2. kossin

kossin Deity

You need granaries in every city, before libraries. Whipping without them is very inefficient. You also have enough military for now, the next thing you'll want are workers and settlers.

You make too many roads for this early in the game, early wasted worker turns are costly.

Try not to build cities 1 tile from the coast - your dotmap is full of them.

With marble and this being Noble, you could have directed your research towards Priesthood to nab The Oracle and an expensive tech (likely Civil Service with careful planning). Now though, you'll need IW before too long.

3. CouNterOrdeR

CouNterOrdeR Chieftain

Lots of land there for the easy taking. Why is your capital only pop2 so late in the game? Should be alot bigger than that.

Grow capital. Chop settlers. You got lots forest that you havnt touched!

4. McThomas

McThomas Creative Warrior

sometimes i reckon that you have to whip you'r capital... for early wonders or last chance defenders (if you're playing on Deity)

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Similar thoughts as above.

Its 1450bc and you have no city over size 3. You only have 3 cities. Ackkk.

For me the alternative to whipping is chopping forest. Much more efficient.

Remember a city of size 5/6 has a much higher production and can churn out workers/settlers much quicker. A city of size 2-3 with 3 unhappy faces will kill your growth for 10+turns.

The captured Aksum is only size one! All that effort for a small city.

Overall stop building the library. Granaries and 2-3 more workers then a settler rex. Grow the capital then start pumping out the workers and settler. Meanwhile let your other cities grow and start fog busting for barbs.

6. siggboy

siggboy Monarch/Epic

Yeah, but that's mainly because of the early rush. Early expansion has been traded off for a lot of open land.

I wouldn't say that chopping is much more efficient that whipping. Population grows back while forests don't (or only very occasionally); also, to chop you need workers who might be better off building improvements instead.

The effort wasn't for the city but for the open land that lies behind it (and is now not going to be occupied by dead Zara).

Yes, and keep in mind that one unit keeps barbarians from spawning in a FULL 5x5 tile area around them -- it doesn't matter if the fog is there or not. It's always 5x5 tiles around any unit and a 2 tile ring around your borders where no barbs will spawn. This also works on water (so a warrior near the coast will keep barb galleys from spawning there).

More than one worker per city is advised, around 3-4 workers per 2 cities is a good number for rapid expansion. You have a lot of jungle so you'll need plenty of workers to clear it all.

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Agreed he has a lot of empty land that can be slow time filled. The issues he will face is barb cities will pop up in the fog. Also barbs generally from such a large area of fog.

I dont see the point in keeping the forest. Might as well be used for sppeding up the rex. I normally start off with 1-2 workers as first builds so workers are not normally an issue for me. Unless you are planning to use it for something. Pyramids? GLH? Possible options is not already built.

That being said a size 5-6 capital would of left this game in much better stead than a whipped size 2 capital.