Help me understand the British [Industrial Era]

kaspergm

Deity
So I'm playing a game where I wanted to do the "different affinity each era" achievement. As I have done Harrappans (food) > Greek (science) > Khmer (production) > Ming (influence), I was aiming for a commerce civ next (as I could use to get some gold districts going), but alas, turns out there is no such civ in the Industrial era, so I'm looking to the British who at least have an commercial EQ, but I'm not sure I really understand their bonuses.

First off, their trait says it adds "+10 gold/science per number of attached territories on Capital". Does that only count the territories actually attached directly to the capital, or is this a clobal counter, i.e. counts all attached territories within my empire and then adds the bonus on the capital? In case of the former, the bonus seems rather lacklustre when playing on a map that's not very big. Also, is the added bonus modified by for instance +X % modifiers that apply to the capital?

Secondly, the EQ says that it adds "+10 gold for Liege" - what does that mean? Do I understand it correctly that a Liege is a vassal civ? If so, then this bonus seems extremely marginal. And assuming I actually had a vassal civ (I don't, I wiped out both my neighbors in the early game :blush:), does the wording mean that I get 10 gold for each liege I have, or does it mean the liege gets 10 gold (why would I even want that?)?

Finally and most importantly, I see in the wiki description for the EQ that it "Can only be built in other Empire's territories when you are their liege" - does that mean "you can build it in your own territory and in territories of another civ that is your liege" or does it literally mean "you cannot build it in your own territory but only in the territory of a civ that is your liege"? Because if the latter is the case, why on earth would I ever want to pick this culture?

PS: I just realised there's no contemporary militaristic civ, so I guess I should go Germans/Zulu in industrial either way, but I'd like to know about the British anyway.

Last edited:
For the +10 gold and science, it's all your territories. So with 50 territories your capital will generate 500 gold and 500 science. It is modified by +%.

The liege is the superior in a feudal system, it is the civ that controls the vassal, usually the player. Basically, you can remotely build your EQ in your vassal's land, giving you the bonus. You cannot build it in your own land.

Both bonuses are very weak by the time you reach industrial. The idea is interesting but It feels like the bonuses were not balanced appropriately for the era.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying. I reckon that if the concept of minor civs/city states is fleshed out in this game at some point, the British could see a lot more potential if integrated properly in that system.

Top Bottom