[help] mid- to late-game strategy

noontide

Warlord
Guys, thanks so much for your help a few days ago. I used to had trouble beating Noble, after reading your response to my first post here, and read some strategy articles, I consistently beat Noble now and am playing on Prince. But I seem to had problem manage the mid- and late-game.

Here is one of my saves. In a nutshell, this is the situation: I'm leading in score, but falling behind in technology. I'm flanked by two powerful nations, Charlemange on the left and Fredrick on the right. I can't seem to catch up with both so the only way seems to be declare war. I have enough military power to wipe out either one, but not enough to engage both in battle. I save-and-load quite a few times, but no matter who i engage in war, the other build up its military power and then declare war on me after I'm done with the other.
What should I do? Attached is the saved-game, please give advice. Thanks in advance!

What's the diplomatic situation? Would it be possible to bribe one of them to a war with the another one before you attack yourself? That way you have 2vs1 again, but this time you're in the team of 2 ;) .

Moderator Action: Threads merged and here's the attachment mentioned above. - Methos

Attachments

• Noontide AD-1969.CivBeyondSwordSave
    342.7 KB · Views: 59
Guys, thanks so much for your help a few days ago. I used to had trouble beating Noble, after reading your response to my first post here, and read some strategy articles, I consistently beat Noble now and am playing on Prince. But I seem to had problem manage the mid- and late-game.

Here is one of my saves. In a nutshell, this is the situation: I'm leading in score, but falling behind in technology. I'm flanked by two powerful nations, Charlemange on the left and Fredrick on the right. I can't seem to catch up with both so the only way seems to be declare war. I have enough military power to wipe out either one, but not enough to engage both in battle. I save-and-load quite a few times, but no matter who i engage in war, the other build up its military power and then declare war on me after I'm done with the other.
What should I do? Attached is the saved-game, please give advice. Thanks in advance!

The problem is that you insist on "wiping out" your neighbors. You should try merely to cripple the stronger one instead. Raze a few cities, destroy some key supply lines and resource improvements, then see what they'll give you for a peace treaty. Then immediately after, attack your other neighbor. You should build roads as your 1st army moves forward, for the purpose of instantly withdrawing your forces to the other front. You should prepare for this plan by having an advance attack detachment on the border of the 2nd civ make the first assault immediately upon peace with the 1st. This stack should set up a feint for a siege at a strategic city to draw the enemy's main attention. By the time the enemy's force is concentrated on defense of that original city, your main force will be arriving at another spot on the front to roll through undefended territory eventually flanking and encircling their army. Again, raze and destroy, not total annihilation, is your main objective. What you CANNOT allow to happen is that the bulk of your fighting force strays too far away from the other front. Obviously build NOTHING but units the entire time you are mobilized. No nation has ever built a university while at war. No advice is more important that this - a numbers advantage (always crucial) is exponentially more important when you are "out-teched."

Are you making fun? Take it easy, man. It was just a suggestion. I never said it would work. Although I do think it might.

Lose less troops, the AI is ******ed so if you defend border cities properly you should slaughter him or stall him until reinforcements arrive. Even when wiping out one neighbour and getting declared after, whipping/drafting an army on the cost of lots of pop and suing for peace as soon as you can will pay off because of your land advantage later. (Land is power! ;))

Top Bottom