1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

help music/audio books

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by IAM, Mar 5, 2012.

1. IAM

IAM Chieftain

I am interested in acquiring a device for recording music to play back and play audio books.

I have looked online and gone to some brick and mortar stores. I prefer to buy stuff i have tried so i am wondering:

desire:
    -music
    i want maybe 1000 or so songs
    listed in catergories like classical music; 80's light rock, WP rock
    ability to play one song repeatedly
    -books
    audio books i want are older like aesops fables, book of five rings and turner diaries maybe 20 books to start

I want a device that is easy to use, compatible with lots of stuff, cheap to download stuff, long battery life etc.,

never had a device like this so doing research first, I can buy whatever i want but want to buy something that works and never buy this type of device again.

pesonal issues: if im working outside in the yard i want za device that can handle sweat and i can clip to my shorts or something

any advice is appreciated; i dont' even know if im asking the right questions so websites to visit etc would be appreciatesd.

edit: the ipod classics seems to fit these needs; ... any thoughts?

2. IAM

IAM Chieftain

update: well no responses but many views so I bought a $20 4 GB MP3 player to try out then maybe I'll get something to hold everything i want.

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

It'll probably do pretty much what you want. My first instinct would be to recommend an iPod classic too, but I should think more or less any MP3 player will probably suit.

4. IAM

IAM Chieftain

The $20 MP3 has some limits like short battery life (40 minutes), no audio books and only one music list.

Several people I have talked to say the Ipods have to use Itunes to load stuff so I'm leaning more towards some other brand MP3 now.

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

With the iPod classic you don't have to use iTunes. There are various open-source and freeware alternative music players that can be used with it, which allow you simply to drag and drop songs onto it rather than do the tedious syncing business that iTunes involves. However, if you do that, you can't use iTunes with it as well (it's one or the other). The iPod touch does require iTunes though.