1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My empire is very unhappy!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by BobTheDude, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BobTheDude

BobTheDude Chieftain

Hey, so I'm playing as militaristic Japan. I sort of bee-lined through the tech tree and got Samurai very early, and used this to my advantage. I completely conquered Rome (3 cities), and Nottingham. However, my aggression and lying apparently angered the rest of the world, because EVERY civilization declared war on me afterwards, except for Russia (who is hostile with me.) Every city-state I have met is at war with me as well.

So I've been managing to hold the entire world off with my samurai just fine, however, I'm suffering a LOT of unhappiness. I'm currently at -6. My advisors tell me to get more luxury resources - but there aren't any! I already have the ones within my territory. I've puppeted every city I've conquered, but they still add a lot of unhappiness. Should I annex one and and build a courthouse? I've already built colosseums in my two non-puppet cities. Should I:

1. Annex Rome and build a courthouse, increasing unhappiness short-term but hopefully reducing it long-term.
    2. Raze one of my cities
    3. Go for Piety for my next policy
    4. Wait until Autocracy
    5. Just continue to conquer EVERYTHING??

2. Sable

Sable Chieftain

You're gaining unhappiness from population as well as from number of cities. My guess is that with all your cities, your population's skyrocketed. Pick a city that isn't as valuable and raze it, then grab Piety. Or just ignore unhappiness and go on a blitz and hope you take everyone else out before your unhappiness cripples your offensive capabilities.

3. BobTheDude

BobTheDude Chieftain

I sort of don't want to raze a city though, and I heard that makes the AI reflect negatively on you. Well.. they are all at war with me...

4. rune42

rune42 Chieftain

You're looking at the -6 happiness in the wrong light.
    All it does is slow down population growth. But if you've gained population in the form of conquered cities, then you've actually gained an advantage.

Also, anexxing a city and building a courthouse will produce the exact same unhappiness as a puppet city. Pointless. Just wait a bit for the puppet city to start building happiness buildings. They tend to prioritize them once they've built a monument if you're below 0 happiness.

5. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Unhappiness slow civ growth to 25% and discount unit strength 33%. You can still advance your troops if you have enough gold and units. I never raze. You can trade your cities or gift them to a low scored civ to make things interesting...

Also, ally with city states that have luxury resources that you don't have near. They add 5 to happiness.

6. BobTheDude

BobTheDude Chieftain

I can't ally with City-states because they're all at war with me because they're allied to my enemy civs, and I can't seem to negotiate peace with the other civs. I guess I should've pursued a relationship with them earlier.

7. cembandit

cembandit Warlord

Your fine, just wait for the puppets to build a few happy buildings. In the mean time kill off some enemies for xp and what not.

8. haroon

haroon Deity

Anti-social citizen, who cant live with other, and lazy labor who build the building so lame, corupt employee who increase the maintence of building and crazy AI and diplomacy nature who act irrational on everything and bloodthrist, is an issue on civ 5 world my friend. I already walk your road, it painful indeed, i got 30 unhappy people to chop event i already have 12 luxury. But i already settle it now base on recomendation and tips by good fellow citizen in this civfanatic forum.

1. In order to please your citizen, they need expensive (high maintennce, and cost lots of time and money in production) entertaiment, build them, but it will consume your gpt to maintence.

2. Worker are less need and have high maintence then the earlier civ. One worker cost -8 gpt, like other unit. Minimize the worker, make it efficient, in later game u wont hard to get any woker, there will be million and billion of it walking on your territory as your foe, u just need to catch them for free and disband them if they already do your work.

3. Raze the city. And raze some of your city that are less in production and commerce, and have no important building like wonder. Raze them, it make your people happy, remember they are anti-social zombie. If u really badly want the location, build settler, and settle your new city after u raze it.

4. Choose piety instead rationalism if you want to expand your empire.

5. Choose the closest and weaker foe, attack them when u ready, and dont stop until they vanish or beg your mercy, and raze their city. Because, they wont negotiate with u, and if u keep the city, your citizen wont negotiate with u. So this game push u into evil leader. I really hate it.

6. U can read more of the tips on my thread, following their recomendation i can chop -30 unhappy bastard into 10 happy people, and recovering my economy depression from -100 to +100 gpt. It just amazing when u know how. But yeah, there are many thing that make this game look bad, but i really like how the combat goes so far.

Good luck! ;)

9. aisle5

aisle5 Chieftain

Raze cities that aren't connected to luxury resources.

10. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

...what? Resources are automatically connected to your empire when they're in your borders and improved.

11. winthrowe

winthrowe Warlord

in other words, if a city has no luxury resources in it's workable area, burn it and move on.

12. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Oh, I see.

13. BobTheDude

BobTheDude Chieftain

I haven't been able to play today, but I'd just like to say that I'm pretty sure only very unhappy populations cause a decrease in fighting ability amongst your troops - unhappiness only stops population growth. So having -6 happiness isn't that bad.

14. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Start preparing for conquests early by starting coliseums and theaters in all cities not producing more vital buildings/units. If you have a strong economy you can also just buy them at need.

15. IvanCG

IvanCG Chieftain

My understanding is unhappiness effects are neither static not linear, but vary in intervals.

Can somebody confirm that, and perhaps let me know where the thresholds are and what is the effect of unhappiness for each interval?

16. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Prince

Happiness above 0 adds to the golden age pool.
    Happiness below 0 and above -10 reduces population growth.
    Happiness of -10 and lower reduces production and gives your troops a 33% combat penalty.

17. MickyLuv

MickyLuv Chieftain

This is what I do and it works fine.

Build your economy to finance not just your units but also your happy building maintenance.

Then go to war.:banana::banana:

18. IvanCG

IvanCG Chieftain

Thanks Johan.
    In the mean time I read the topic with the "ignore happiness" strategy and I concluded the unhappiness penalties are too weak.

Sorry for the hijack.

19. BobTheDude

BobTheDude Chieftain

Well guys, I sorta... lost. Got completely destroyed by Hiawatha, I didn't even see it coming. I had samurai, and and he had RIFLEMEN. 8 of them. Plus other various units. I got destroyed... ugh.

I guess I didn't tech up fast enough.. >_> I guess I'm not good enough to win on Prince.

20. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

(0,-10) -75% growth
    [-10, -oo) -100% growth, -33% military strength, -50% city production.