Help needed for Mac version of Civ2

Newbie#2

Chieftain
My question is regarding Civ2 for the Mac.
When attempting installation, an error occurs early on when installing an Icon. It says "Error opening file: Icon" "1008:6, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)"
After I manually copy the folder "Civilization II Files (Small)" and the applications "Civilization II" and "Civ II Map Editor" onto my hard drive, I am able to start the program, but an error prevents me from playing the game.
After double-clicking on the application "Civilization II" an error occurs, saying "The file ' ' is open." I am able to press "Ok" and the opening cinemas for the game play. After the opening cinemas, another error occurs, which says "Unknown error (4) has occured". Pressing "Ok" here only causes another of the same errors to come up, and I am forced to preform a "force quit" using command-option-esc.
Also, once an error "The folder containing the file ':Art:p000:85.PICT' could not be found." occured.

My computer is a Power Macintosh 7600 running OS 8.1

*On an aside note: thanks to Thunderfall, of the civfanatics messageboard, for helping confirm my registration so that I may post this question.

Glad you got logged in & can make your first post! Welcome to CFC! Be sure to look at the various Civ 2 forums if (when!) you game runs right... there are a lot Civ 2 games & variations to play and discuss, and new people are welcome!

I'm not a Mac user, and in fact have no experience installing Mac stuff, including Civ 2. But you gave enough detail that I might can help a little bit.

What you describe is obviously a result of something going wrong in the install process, and it looks like either a directory/file(s) is/are the wrong name, or there is a video driver problem. The driver in question may be in conflict because of other 3rd party software you've installed, like possibly QuickTime (just a guess.... but any DVD, AVI, etc. software may have installed something that Civ2 does not like when it runs the videos and heralds, and maybe even graphics).

Well, hopefully a Mac person can spot this and help more. I'd just examine what software you have installed, and visit their sites to make sure you have the best/updated drivers from them.

Thanks for your tips, and for the welcoming. I just hope that someone who knows something about macs comes along... if not, could you (or someone else who reads this) give me a link to some sort of official support? Someone who could help me here?

The only thing civ2 seems to require is a version of quicktime (it has a very old version on the disk), and I know I don't have the newest version of quicktime, but it is newer than the version on the disk so it shouldn't make a difference.

For Civ II (not Civ 2 MGE!!!), Officially and according to Infogrames, here:

Minimum System Requirements
The minimum system requirements for Civilization II are:

* Any 68030 or faster Macintosh
* A CD-ROM drive
* At least 8MB RAM
* System 7 or higher
* A color monitor
* It is accelerated for Power Macintosh, and will work with System 8.
* Screen savers and Virus Scanning software should be turned off before play

Please note: If your system meets but does not exceed these requirements, Civilization II may have choppy animation, or the sound or video may hesitate.

Installation
To install the game on your system:

* Close all open windows on your screen, then
* Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
* Double-click on the Civilization II icon to open the CD-ROM window, and then
* Double-click on the Civilization II Installer icon to install the game.
* Then simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Uninstallation

To remove the game from your system, double click on your hard drive, then drag the Civilization II folder to the Trash.

Troubleshooting
Following are some issues that occasionally happen when Civilization II in installed or running on a Mac. Below are some more resources.

Error Type 1

Civilization II must be installed onto the same hard drive as your system files, rather than on an external hard drive. Remove Civilization II from the external hard drive and reinstall on the main one.

Error Type 2

This error is usually caused by lack of available memory, or an extension conflict. Please refer to Other Troubleshooting below for details on how to retrieve specific instructions.

Error Type 11

This error is generally caused by an extension conflict. Please refer to Other Troubleshooting below for details on how to retrieve specific instructions.

Error Type 15

This error is generally caused by an extension conflict. You will need to disable all extensions except CD-ROM, QuickTime, and Sprockets. Please refer to Other Troubleshooting below for details on how to retrieve specific instructions.

Advances Window Issues

This problem is caused by a system that barely meets the system requirements. The temporary solutions include turning off the Advances Window and using the default map, or turning off extensions and optimizing memory. Please refer to Other Troubleshooting below for details on how to retrieve specific instructions.

To turn off the Advances Window, click on File, then Graphic Options, and finally Turn Off Civilization Advances.

A more permanent solution is to upgrade the computer's memory. This can be done through your local Apple retailer.

Huge Fonts

There are some fonts which, when installed on a system, will interfere with the game. Create a new folder on the desktop, and drag 10 fonts into it. Then restart the computer and the game. Keep doing this with a different batch of 10 fonts each time, until the game goes back to its default font, Helvetica.

Other Troubleshooting

There are no other known problems with Civilization II. If you are having any other problems, try the following solutions:

* Check to make sure that your system meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for Civilization II. If your system meets these requirements, but does not exceed them, video or sound may be hesitant.
* Make sure that all other programs, including screen savers and virus scanning software, are turned off.
* Make sure virtual memory is turned off.
* Some software titles may have extension conflicts with Civilization II. Turn off all extensions that you are not currently using.

They also say:

Macintosh General Troubleshooting

Macsoft General Troubleshooting | OS X Compatability Tables

MacSoft General Information

In order for any software to work properly on your system, your Mac MUST meet or exceed the software's minimum system requirements as listed on the box or in the manual.

You must also shut down all of your other programs before running our software. Other programs can use up too much of your system's resources, leaving less than our program needs to operate.

OSX General Troubleshooting

I have Macintosh OSX and none of my previous applications work properly. What do I do to remedy this?

If you are having trouble with all or most of your software on Mac OSX, you should contact Apple at www.apple.com or 1-800-SOS-APPLE.

Most applications carbonized for OSX will run under OS9. If your application will not run under OSX, please restart your computer in OS9 in order to run the application.

If you do not know whether you have OS9 installed on your system, please contact Apple using one of the contact methods above.

Okay, so how do I switch to Macintosh OS9?

To restart your computer in OS9, click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences. Double-click on the Startup Disk icon and choose the OS9.2 disk. Then click the Restart button to restart your computer in OS9.

What if my application requires Macintosh OSX?

We don't currently have any applications that require OSX available, but when we do, we'll update this section with general troubleshooting steps for those products that require OSX.

Standard Mac Troubleshooting

Following are some of the problems that can occur in any Mac program, and the recommended solution(s) for each.

How do I close my other Applications?

* Click the Finder icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen. This will show you a listing of all programs currently running on your computer.
* Click the first program in the list.
* Close the program or window that appears.
* Repeat this process until all programs have been shut down.

Once you are sure that your system meets the minimum system requirements for the software and that your other programs are all shut down, you are ready to begin troubleshooting the problem.

The program reports an "Insufficient Memory", "Out of Memory" or similar error, and will not run.

If your computer has enough physical RAM installed to run the software, then you probably just need to optimize your Mac's memory settings like this:

* Click the on the Apple menu.
* Select Control Panel.
* Select Memory.
* If you are NOT using a Power PC, then turn virtual memory and 32-bit addressing or modern memory management to OFF.
OR:
If your ARE using a power PC, leave turn these features ON, and set Virtual Memory to 1 megabyte.
* On all Macs, set RAM disk to OFF.
* Restart your computer after changing any settings so that your changes can take effect.

NOTE: If you still get "Out of Memory" errors on a Power PC after changing these settings, raise the Virtual Memory setting and try again. If this doesn't work either, see the section on "Disabling Extensions" below.

The program crashes unexpectedly, locks up, reports an error, or just runs poorly.

Many problems in Macintosh programs can be the result of conflicts between the software and one or more system extensions.

The majority of our programs require only the Apple CD-ROM and Quicktime extensions to run. Check the program's manual to see what other extensions, if any, your software requires. All other extensions should be disabled while you play, and then re-enabled afterwards.

NOTE: If you have already disabled all but the necessary extensions for the program, but you are still having trouble, see the section on "Insufficient Memory" errors above.

How do I disable unnecessary extensions?

* Restart your Macintosh.
* When the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen appears, press and hold down the <Spacebar>.
* Continue holding down the spacebar until the Extensions manager appears.
* Uncheck all extensions except the ones needed by the software you are trying to run. Most games only require the following:

Apple CD-ROM
Quicktime

Some game also require Quicktime PowerCheck the manual or readme file for the program you are trying to run to see what other extensions, if any, are needed.

* Click and hold down the SETS button at the top of the box, then click on SAVE SET.
* Give the set a name like "Games Configuration" so you can use it again later.
* When done, click on the box in the top corner. Your MAC will start up normally.
* When you are finished playing your game, restart your computer again and follow steps 3 and 4.
* Click and hold down on the SETS box. Click on your normal configuration file. Then restart your computer again and everything will be restored to normal.

My Mac runs OS 8, and I'm having problems with a game that uses QuickTime.

The version of QuickTime that is included with this operating system is not totally compatible with some of our older software. Try installing the version of QuickTime that is included on the program CD before running it again.

The program was working fine before, but now I'm having problems with it.

You may have installed some other software since the last time you ran this product that is conflicting with our product. See the sections above on shutting down other programs and disabling unnecessary extensions.

If you have not installed any other software, or you have already tried those solutions, then the preferences folder for this product may have become corrupted. You can force our software to create a new preferences folder like this:

* Open the Mac System folder.
* Open the preferences folder.
* Look for a folder that has same or similar name as the software you are having trouble with.
* Drag this folder to the trash.
* Restart your computer.
* Try running our software again.

Please note that this action may erase any setup information that exists for this product and possibly any other products that use the same preferences folder, so use this only as a last resort.

If the problem still occurs, one or more of the program's files may have been accidentally deleted or corrupted. Try this:

* Double click your hard drive icon.
* Find the folder where you installed our software.
* Drag this folder to the trash.
* Reinstall according to the instructions in your manual.

If you have any problems while trying to re-install, or the same problem still exists after re-installation, your CD-ROM drive may be having trouble reading the CD. Inspect the shiny underside of the CD for fingerprints, smudges, and scratches. If the CD is dirty or scratched, see the section below labeled "What can I do if my CD is Dirty or Scratched?"

My CD-ROM drive reports a "Disk Unreadable" error, or just seems to be having trouble reading a CD.

A "Disk Unreadable" error could mean that you have purchased the PC version of your game. Check the box to see if it specifically says that it will run on a Macintosh. If it does not, then you will need to return it to the store you purchased it from for an exchange.

If the CD you have does in fact contain the Mac version of the product, but your drive just has trouble reading it, the CD may have become dirty, or even scratched. Inspect the shiny underside of the CD for fingerprints, smudges, or scratches.

What can I do if my CD is Dirty or Scratched?

If your CD is dirty, but not scratched:

Most computer stores carry inexpensive CD-ROM cleaning kits that will safely restore your CD. If you want to try cleaning the CD without a kit, you can wash the CD using lukewarm water, MILD NON-ABRASIVE dish soap, and a very soft and clean COTTON cloth. Do NOT use any kind of paper product or abrasive soap to clean the CD, as these WILL scratch! Once the CD is clean, be sure to let the CD dry completely before inserting it into your CD-ROM, or damage may result.

If your CD is scratched or damaged in any way:

If your CD is scratched, you may need to send it in for replacement. Even small scratches can prevent your drive from reading data. To find out how to send your CD in for replacement, please see Infogrames Consumer Service Policies and Information.

The colors in the game are all wrong?

If you are using contextual menus on your system, you will need to disable them before playing our games. Contextual menus can cause a shift in your systems color palette that can disturb the game's color scheme. In order to turn these menus off, you will need the Contextual Menu Extension version 1.0.2 from Apple. Check Apple's website or call 1-800-SOS-APPLE for assistance.

I have a new Blue-and-White Power Macintosh G3, but the video quality is poor.

Poor video quality on the newer "Blue-and-white" G3 computers can usually be fixed by downloading the update for the video chip that is standard in this machine. Go to http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11262 to download this update.

If you are running Civilization II - Gold Edition for Mac:

Minimum System Requirements
The minimum system requirements for Civilization II Gold Edition are:

* A Power PC
* A CD-ROM drive
* At least 10MB free RAM
* System 7.5.3 or higher
* A color monitor
* Screen savers and Virus Scanning software should be turned off before play
* Open Transport in required for multi-player options

Please note: If your system meets but does not exceed these requirements, Civilization II Gold Edition may have choppy animation, or the sound or video may hesitate.

Installation
To install the game on your system:

* Close all open windows on your screen, then
* Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
* Double-click on the Civilization II Gold Edition icon to open the CD-ROM window, and then
* Double-click on the Installer icon to install the game.
* Then simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Uninstallation

To remove the game from your system, double click on your hard drive, then drag the Civilization II Gold Edition folder to the Trash.

The latest version of this game fixes a variety of problems that exist in the initial release, including multiplayer freezes and crashes, failure to (or error messages while trying to) load saved games, and others.

For a full listing of the fixes in the latest release or to download the patch itself, please click here.

If you've already installed the latest version and the problem occurs anyway, read on:

Note: this game has an extensive manual that should be able to help you with most problems common to running games on Macintosh computers.

"I get an error message when I try to load a game or a scenario."

The newest patch will fix this problem. For more information and download links for the patch, please click here.

"I can't find the new scenarios."

When you choose "Begin Scenario" from the game menu, a dialog box will appear. With the Civ II Gold CD-ROM in the drive, change the drive in the dialog box to Civ II Gold, and open the "Civilization II Files" folder. You can open the folders there for the scenarios, but it is recommended that you copy the scenarios you wish to play on to your hard drive. They should go into the "Scenarios" folder inside the "Civilization II Files" folder inside the "Civilization II Gold" folder on your hard drive. You may also wish to reinstall the game, choosing either the "Large Install" or "Standard Install + Scenarios" option from the "Custom Install" menu.

"I can't see some of the unit icons or art for the Fantastic Worlds scenarios."

You need to copy the scenarios you wish to play on to your hard drive. They should go into the "Scenarios" folder inside the "Civilization II Files" folder inside the "Civilization II Gold" folder on your hard drive. You may also wish to reinstall the game, choosing either the "Large Install" or "Standard Install + Scenarios" option from the "Custom Install" menu.

"When I try to start a multiplayer game, I see an error message containing the phrase 'netclient.lib'."

This error indicates that you do not have the correct protocol loaded.

* If you already have Open Transport loaded and running, just change your Network protocol from Mac TCP to TCP/IP.
* If you are using OS 7.6 or lower, you will need to install Open Transport first.
* To do this, go to http://asu.info.apple.com/ and search for Open Transport.
* Follow the instructions on the page.
* This will install Open Transport 1.1.1, and enable network play.
* Then upgrade to Open Transport 1.1.2 to fix the NetClient.lib error.

General Troubleshooting:
There are no other known problems with Civilization II Gold Edition. If you are having any other problems, try the following solutions:

* Check to make sure that your system meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for Civilization II Gold Edition. If your system meets these requirements, but does not exceed them, video or sound may be hesitant.
* Make sure that all other programs, including screen savers and virus scanning software, are turned off.
* Make sure virtual memory is turned off.
* Some software titles may have extension conflicts with Civilization II Gold Edition. Turn off all extensions that you are not using for the Civilization II game.

For detailed written instructions on how to accomplish the any of the above, check out our Macintosh General Troubleshooting FAQ

Multiplayer
To use the Multiplayer options, you must first have Open Transport up and running on all machines involved. Contact your IS person for help with this problem. Also, please refer to page 161 in your manual - "Multiplayer Games"

Civilization II Gold Edition can be played in multiplayer mode against PC players of Civilization II - as long as the PC version is the original and has not been modified or patched. When there is a patch available so that the Mac version is the same as the patched PC version, it will be posted here.
Scenarios & Fantastic Worlds
For details on running these maps and scenarios, in addition to the originals, check out page 117 in your manual - "Playing Scenarios".

For Civilization II - Gold Edition - Mac, you should upgrade to 1.1.1 via download:

Patch

Civilization II Gold Edition V1.1.1 Update - (1.27 Mb)

Download and Install Instructions Back to Top

* Click the link above. This will download a file called "Civilization II Gold to version 1.1.1" to your desktop.
* Double-click this file and follow the onscreen instructions to update Civilization II Gold to version 1.1.1.

Patch History

This update updates the application file to 1.1.1 and updates some of the files in the "Support" folder (located inside the "Civilization II Files" folder.)

Changes For v1.1.1 Back to Top

* Fixed byte swapping bug caused by inline assembly change.
* Fixed bug in the code which displays the initial civilization advances.

Changes For v1.1 Back to Top

* Fixed game profile bug in Hot Seat games.
* Added missing menu resource for Apple Menu.
* Insured that the port is always set on window switch.
* Fixed scenario code so it isn't case sensitive.
* Fixed scenario editor so it defaults correctly on save.
* Added sanity checking for unit stacks network games.
* Further improved byte swapping code by making it inline assembly.

Changes For v1.1b4 Back to Top

* Fixed locks in Tax Rate dialog so they work correctly.
* Fixed chatlog so it correctly reflects the status of the chat text.
* Fixed scenario event editor bugs.
* Fixed list item selection bug.
* Fixed alternate scenario (.alt) support so the ROME and WWII scenarios load correctly.
* Fixed bugs with keyboard shortcut support in city windows.
* Fixed city radius display bug when creating new cities with the map grid turned on.
* Fixed a bug when exchanging map data with AI players.

Changes For v1.1b3 Back to Top

* Fixed multiple object deletions when exiting the application.
* Fixed bug in the import icon feature which caused bad buttons and eventually crashes.
* Fixed bad numeric values in popup dialogs when playing cross platform network games.
* Fixed suppression of Casualty Timeline report so it appears correctly in network games.
* Fixed color palette problems with endgame sequence.
* Fixed bug causing Casualty Timeline to appear multiple times during one turn.
* Fixed Casualty Timeline so it is cleared when loading and reverting games.
* Fixed numeric entry fields so they will accept negative numbers.
* Fixed network messaging bug causing improper buffer allocation in certain cases.
* Improved error handling for network game problems.
* Fixed unit movement network message which wasn't properly byte swapped.
* Increased rate of network polling.
* Fixed unit movement network message which wasn't handled correctly.

Changes For v1.1b2 Back to Top

* Added Navigation Services support.
* Fixed cancel from Select Custom Features dialog for single player game.
* Fixed uninitialized values in game description dialog when starting net games.
* Fixed random text appearing in missile attack dialog.
* Removed debugging logs from release build.
* Fixed Status window so it resizes correctly when Arrange Windows is used.
* Changed window locations and sizes so they fill the screen.
* Shrunk "current player" color box in Status window so size is in line with the PC version.
* Made "current player" color box work on client machines (previously only worked on host.)
* Fixed crash when quitting a game.
* Fixed import icon feature in scenario editor.
* Improved icon editor window placements in scenario editor.
* Fixed memory leak when loading scenarios.
* Fixed placement of close button in certain Civilopedia screens.
* Added user preference to "Game Options" for disabling Casualty Timeline report.
* Fixed scary window hack in the chat dialogs.
* Fixed font problems in buttons on the City and Advisor report windows.
* Fixed problem with bad save game dates when scenarios use alternate timelines.
* Fixed TextEdit bug causing crashes in "Chat with Kings" and "Diplomacy dialog".
* Fixed bugs which caused Cancel buttons to not appear in some dialogs.

Changes For v1.1b1 Back to Top

* Fixed failure to load saved games when file sharing is enabled.
* Fixed failure to load custom graphics from the CD.
* Fixed failure to save unit graphics changes when editing scenarios.
* Fixed color palette problems with edited scenarios.
* Fixed crashes & freezes in multiplayer games.
* Fixed problems when quitting the application.
* Fixed problems with the Diplomacy Screen.
* Fixed problems with the Caravan dialogs.
* Re-implemented the ?Revert? menu item so it works as one would expect it to.
* Fixed all PC bugs addressed by PC patches 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

Well, that's about all I know about Civ 2 & Civ 2 Gold for Mac. Good luck.

I was reading your original problem one last time before leaving ths thread, and suddenly, now I know what your problem is. Your detail is your post is what enabled it. I have boldfaced the critical part:
When attempting installation, an error occurs early on when installing an Icon. It says "Error opening file: Icon" "1008:6, -36 IO Error (Bad Disk)"

All your other problems after this point can be attributed to not having a proper file installed. It was not installed because is could not be read at install time, likely because of a defective or scratched or damaged disk. You need a new disk, or to get the defective files from someone else.

If you are running Civ 2 Gold, then try installing the 1.1.1 patch, and hope that it contains the files that are bad on your disk.

To any Mac user: Post the 'fileArt:p000:85.PICT' for him.

There will likely be more missing files, and as you run it, a similar error will occur, but for a different filename. Evidently, you are also missing the directory, too.

There is one more possibility that I can see. Your disk is, in fact, perfectly good.... but something prevented the creating of the art file's directory, and thus install could not copy the appropriate files into it... and therefore they are not present when you run the game.

You might search you hard drive for the missing file to see if it somehow landed in another bizzarre dirctory somehow. If it did, then create the appropriate directory by hand and copy the wayward file(s) into it and repeat process until you locat and transfer them all by hand.

Well, I can test none of the above myself, but that is the general outline of what you might try.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for all your research :D because of you, I was able to identify what was causing the Bad Disk error, and have since made a successful installation on my main hard drive (leaving that HD with a whopping 2MB left ;) ). If I ever have anymore trouble, I'll check back to this thread for the information you dug up.

Originally posted by starlifter
Error Type 1

Civilization II must be installed onto the same hard drive as your system files, rather than on an external hard drive. Remove Civilization II from the external hard drive and reinstall on the main one.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Well, I'm gald that helped... it was a shotgun approach, and all that pasted stuff was from the link. Looks like what I "knew" actaully turned out to be a little different! But I may well get a Mac in the future, so I might some day experience this, too :).

Top Bottom