Help needed: Map Scripting

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Padmewan, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Padmewan

Padmewan King

For the SMAC remix mod, I have created terrain of the following type:

Terrain: F / P / C
    Wasteland, Snow: 0 / 0 / 0
    Packed SO2: -1 / 2 / 0
    Loose SO2: 0 / 1 / 0
    Tundra: 1 / 0 / 0
    Terran Drylands: 1 / 1 / 0
    Terran Grasslands: 2 / 0 / 0

I then modified the CvMapGeneratorUtil.py script so that it would only generate Wasteland, Snow, Packed, and Loose. The idea is that the civs must terraform these lands (or not, depending on their destiny) to Terran conditions.

I found that this works... IF I leave Drylands and Grasslands out of the Terrain.xml file. If I include them, then some normalization process converts the immediate surroundings of any civ into Grasslands, even though the map script does not include them.

To check that this isn't hard-coded by terrain name, I named Packed SO2 = TERRAIN_PLAINS, Loose SO2 = TERRAIN_GRASS, Terran Drylands = TERRAIN_TERRAN0, and Terran Grasslands = TERRAIN_TERRAN1. Thus, the normalizing script must be doing some kind of dynamic value calculation against all possible terrains.

Note that up to the Terran terrains, the total value of each tile is no greater than 1. However, the Terran terrains have a total value of 2. One possiblity I haven't yet tried is to set their totals to 1 as well, perhaps by giving them negative hammers or commerce. Another is to boost the alien terrain to 2. Neither of these sit well with me -- the latter because production is already rampant with possible +3 hammer tiles when working a Packed Hill.

Help, please, from any of the terrain script wizards???