1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on a religion mode

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Calavente, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

Hi, I'm old in civ, but very new at modding...
    And as I want to try something quite easy before going to more difficult things, I want to try altering religions.
    this may be once finished my first mod since civ2 (and that was easy with the civ editor)
    I will ask moderators to move it to the mod forum once I will have a file :)

I've got multiples questions:
    some will be technical ones, other polls on opinion about how to do it.

technically:
    I think that the question of changing buildings bonus may easily enough be made in xml, right?
    If I want to be able to remove religions from cities : will I be able to do it without going to python? Do you know simples modes that did it ? (the use of inquisitor in FfH1 is not a good exemple for me as I'm afraid the code will be too long for me to understand. but if someone want to explain how it works.. I may look at it.)

2. Calavente

Religions opinion poll :
    my changes are proposed to be linked to the religions, not to the tech they are discovered.

Religions:
    two main things :

#without state religion
    -a religion in a city : 1 slight malus
    -every religious building : std boni + 1 bonus + 1 malus , bonus and malus strenght varying with importance of building : temple < monestry < cathedrale < shrine.
    EDIT: no malus for temple as there is already a malus for the presence of the religion
    The bonus/ malus thing has two possibility :
    either they are the same for a given religion. or they can be different boni oriented in the same direction : e.g : religion Y : war effectiveness :
    temple :+X xp; monestry : +X building unit rate; cathedrale : -X war weariness.
    ==> what is the best in your opinion?
    (IMO : the second is better but maybe too complex to be coherent for 7 religion)

#With state religion:
    two ways :
    - the building is the same without the malus.
    - the malus stays, but the bonus increases.
    ==> what is the best in your opinion?
    I like the two of them...

the religion boni/malus thing without building is to rise the interest of trying to get ride of non state religions. (and not limiting it to no building construction)

3. Calavente

reserved to talk about inquisition

I see two ways of doing it :
    either a national wonder / buiding: it has X% chance to erase a non-state religion every turn.
    a unit.
    I'd rather like the unit but I do not know how to do it.
    my main idea is to make a zealot unit that is used like a missionary or a spy
    -either it disappear after his task and demands no cost for reducing a religion
    -either it has a X% chance of being disabled after his task, but the action uses gold.

erasing a non state religion has to resulte in at leaste 1 pop reduction

then, I do not know how best to do :
    -X% chance of erasing a non-state religion, random choice of religion
    -Y% chance of erasing a non-state religion, with a choice for the religion to erase, its costs in gold, its costs in pop, its chance of results
    the second one is best for strategic erasing of religion, but harder to code I think

this zealot unit will requires in city : "Order of Inquisition" to be build, and either it will need 5 "state religion temple" or it will be a national wonder that will need 5 "state religion temple"
    the zealot will be limited to a use of 5 per civ at any given time

4. Calavente

Ideas on building bonus

Buddhism: do not eat animals... no idea of bonus for the time being
    Religion effect: -1:health: for cow / sheep / pig, annulating the :health: effect
    Temple: +1 :health: rice/ corn / wheat
    Monestry: ?? bonus/
    Cathedrale: ?? bonus/
    Shrine:

Hinduism: no clear idea : maybe health or food (huge pop) and + culture or + building production / loss of ...
    Religion effect:
    Temple:
    Monestry:
    Cathedrale:
    Shrine:

Judaism: no real idea : maybe commerce improvement? or links to jewelry (no pun intended :p)
    Religion effect:
    Temple:
    Monestry:
    Cathedrale:
    Shrine:

Taoism: based on self interest and body knowledge: alchemy, medicines and acupuncture : better growth and lower state cohesion
    Religion effect:+10% city maintenance switched to -1 gold, +2 bucket if state religion
    Temple:+1 health
    Monestry:+10% science switched to 20% food stored after growth/ +5% city maintenance
    Cathedrale:+1 health on continent / +20% city maintenance
    Shrine:

Confucianism: religion based on legisme : High organisation, Big administration, low personnal freedom
    Religion effect: -5% science changed to -2 buckets / +1gold if state religion
    Temple:-10% city maintenance
    Monestry: +10% commerce changed to +3 gold / - 1happy face
    Cathedrale: works as a government center + -25%WW (the religion support the state in this city even in war) / -10% global GP production (to represent the low initiative allowed to people) + 4 temple needed for 1 Cathedrale instead of 3 for vanilla civ (to balance the government center thing..)
    TO TEST: can cathedrale be built in place with other gov center? ==> No ==> issue
    Shrine:

Christianism: not sure : help for building production, reduction of commerce ?
    Temple:
    Monestry:
    Cathedrale:
    Shrine:

Islam: warmongering
    (I know this will be discussed but I want it on at least one religion and even it does not fits best to islam, islam fits best to it.)
    Religion effect:malus
    Temple: +1 XP to land units
    Monestry: +25% production rate to archer units and mounted units (obsolet after most archer / mounted units) / malus ??
    Cathedrale: -25% war weariness /malus ??
    Shrine:

5. Calavente

reserved for talking about specific religion units, or other things related to religion (ex of spreading religion with founding settler...) to see to it after I become a little bit better a moding

6. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

I like the general plan but I would avoid actualy hard coding in the bonuses for specific religions. I have this idea for "stamping" each religion at the time of founding with a "flavor" that the player can choose from a list. So a religion of "Tolerance" could give more GreatPeople points and a religion of "Ritual" gives more happy faces. Any number of religions can adopt the same flavor and the player recives some bonuses in accordance with the flavor when they adopt that StateReligion, building bonuses are determined by the religions permenent flavor but they may or maynot function without the state religion.

Also I was looking towards changing the HolyCity concept, I could drop HolyCity requirments from all Shrines and remove the 1 holycity rule at the SDK level, rather the little star would become "Dominant" religion ofwhich a city can only have one. Dominant religions can change with missionaries (low probability of change) and just randomly over time. Religions buildings can have effects that activate only in the presence of their Dominant religion.