help on regent

Can you give us an idea of what type of tips you need? Any specific weaknesses you are trying to address?

The best advice I received was to play a game for 100 turns or so and then post a save. There are some very helpful experienced players that will look at your save and then will comment about what you're doing correctly and what needs improvement.

My best single tip is to think about the victory condition you want to win by early in the game. I played many games with no victory conditon in mind before I found this forum. I played to just have fun. As you move up levels, what you do early in the game (i.e. what improvements you build) becomes more important.

First big difference is 2 vs. 3 content citizens. You will need more MP's.

2nd is that the AI will seem to spread and tech like weeds, at least in comparison to what you are used to. The AI now works without any penalties.

war will be tougher - the AI will have more culture and more defenders and can create an offensive stack.

And the AI is more likely to trade with each other, too.

You may be used to being in complete control of the game - you probably won't be on regent, not right off.

If you want to know what to expect look for a Regent SG Training game and read it. There is a nice list of the training SG's. I don't think my tutorial is all that close to a normal game. It will give you some idea.

The major thing that I noticed on moving to regent (back when I could play regent) was how ready the AI was to make demands and declare war. it just surprised me is all.

Don't delay on defense if you can avoid it. A good offense is still the best defense. If you can, build archers to send out with settlers. They make better scarecrows for the AI than spears do.

The major thing that I noticed on moving to regent (back when I could play regent) was how ready the AI was to make demands and declare war. it just surprised me is all.

Don't delay on defense if you can avoid it. A good offense is still the best defense. If you can, build archers to send out with settlers. They make better scarecrows for the AI than spears do.

This^^^. Remember, the AI assesses your strength more on offensive units than defensive units. In deciding to go to war, the AI is more afraid of archers than spearmen. Also, since the offensive units are in your territory, they don't have to stay as a static defense - kill the stack with your offensive units and you don't need many defenders inside your borders.

If you are a PC using WinXP or Win7 you just hit the Print Screen key. That will put it in the clipboard. You can then import it with somethign like paint.

I often use Irfanview (free) to capture and resize or crop.

Two things come to mind that I had to adjust for at Regent and higher.

1. You will need to trade techs. At chieften and warlord, you are used to selling the AI your old techs from past ages because they can't keep up. Now you will need to know which Techs have trade value, which ones you are likely to get first - and then be willing to trade them so you can keep current on what the AI has researched. You will still pull ahead - eventually - but it won't be as easy.

2. I'm a builder. At chieften and Warlord you can build just about everything in every city and still beat the AI to every wonder and every tech. At regent is when you will first find that you can't always have all those wonders. You pick the ones that suit your goal and pursue them agressively (either by research or :hammer:). The AI gets the rest. Cities will only get the buildings that they need and can use. Most buildings that produce nothing but happiness (temples, cathedrals and colosseums) are not built at all - though I do produce temples if I am a religious civ looking for cheap culture to close gaps in my borders.

i started the game on a tiny map im Babylon and im about equal with the other civs in science (its about 2500 B.C.) and im about to build up my military and attack the Inca.

Ive been having trouble withscreenshots I keep on pressing print screen key and nothing happens

Use the "post reply" and scroll down to the "manage attachment" and browse you disk for the sav to upload.

Top Bottom