1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Program cannot locate CD?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by protista, Oct 26, 2005.

1. protista

protista Chieftain

We installed the program, including the DX9.0c.

When we try to run the program, it gives a message "cannot locate the CD"?

We are assuming the program is looking for the "Play" (#2) CD?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Protista

2. rob.derosa

rob.derosa Chieftain

try the other cd? lol

3. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

Yeah, I've read you need the install CD.

4. Goombaz

Goombaz Chieftain

You do have... the actual CD's right?

DISREGARD BELOW THIS LINE IF YOU HAVE THE ACTUAL PROGRAM:

If you downloaded it I will just say this. This forum is linked to the official Civ 4 website, and would be a poor choice of places to ask what to do with a "creatively acquired" copy of Civ 4.

5. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

The CDs are mislabled. :shakehead The Play CD is actually not the play CD.

6. FlyPelican

FlyPelican Chieftain

No. CD2 is labelled as the play disk. You need to insert CD1 (Install) Disk for some reason.

Again, did anyone get there fold-outs in a foreign language?

7. paralipsis

paralipsis Chieftain

Copy-protection, of pretty much every flavour, has a nasty habit of interfering with some users ability to run their legally purchased games. It happened to me once with Knights of the Old Republic. Depends on your CD/DVD drive in combination with your other hardware.

When it happens, it really sucks. And what's worse, when you ask for help people assume, or at least imply, that you pirated the game

8. Mankster

Mankster Chieftain

I had the same problem. The disks are labeled Disk1/Install and Disk2/Play. Both are used during the install process. The manual says to put in Disk2/Play to play the game. This results in the error posted above. The game will only start with Disk1/Install in the drive. The manual and disk labels must be wrong.

9. ljknight 5

ljknight 5 Chieftain

F:mad: *** mine wont play either

10. crazybeard

crazybeard Chieftain

I hate to say this, but this is frequently a sign that you have a pirated edition.

On the other hand, since there are two CDs, you may simply have the wrong one in your drive.

11. ljknight 5

ljknight 5 Chieftain

this is the worse thing ever

12. Goombaz

Goombaz Chieftain

Oh I wasn't implying that anything bad would happen to him. It would just kind of be embarassing :D There is about 0 chance he would have any legal trouble. He wouldn't get any help at any rate.

But yeah, after I posted that I saw the bug report about the install disks so it is moot anyhow.

EDIT: Yes, it is good that the piracy didn't start before release. Post release piracy is, honestly, as inevitable as the morning sun. That is really all a game can ask for is that it not be pirated BEFORE it comes out, so I would say that battle is already won.

13. Dave22

Dave22 Chieftain

This seems fairly bad. Has anyone who had this problem been able to fix it? Is it just mislabeled disks, or is it a deeper problem?

14. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

15. wonderpug

wonderpug Chieftain

Like paralipsis said, sometimes copy protection is to blame. I couldn't get the game to read my discs, and I discovered that my DVD drive was set to "Slave" by accident, something that SecuROM has issues with. Changing the jumpers made it so the drive had no trouble reading the disc.

If that's not your issue, here's a SecuROM troubleshooting article that didn't help me, but may have your fix:

16. protista

protista Chieftain

Thank you for the detailed information!

We have purchased every version of Civ since the very first(Circa 1990?)! We do not copy software, nor would we. We do get upset when copy protection interferes with our use of a purchased program!!
    Thanks to your help, we have civ up and running!!

17. insydr

insydr Chieftain

I'm having the same problem... tried all your troubleshooting tips but no dice. And I can't change the jumpers since it's a laptop drive.

Anyone else find another way to fix this? I'm pretty annoyed that securom is preventing me from using the software that I PAID FOR. :mad:

18. Irk'd

Irk'd Chieftain

I'm not having this problem myself but I was able to duplicate it by accident. What I'm looking for was a work around for the rendering error and as a last ditch effort tried running in compatibility mode.

When I did that (Win 2000 compatibility mode), the launcher gave me the error your getting. So, if your runnin' in compatibility mode that might be your issue. If not, good luck with it, I know I need it for my problem.

19. insydr

insydr Chieftain

Nope, no compatibility settings whatsoever.

What annoys me the most is that if I was a cheapskate pirate and I chose to download this game, I'd probably be playing it right now instead of staring at a "cannot find CD" error screen. Way to go, copy protection jackasses! :rolleyes:

20. AlecTavi

AlecTavi Chieftain

I too have been having this problem on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. I solved it after rebooting Windows, having my hotpluggable CD drive in the entire time. Hope that helps!