1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help saving my Faith?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kingofsealand, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

So picked up civ 6 and dlc during summer sale, still learning to play.

My question has to do with faith, my first game on prince difficulty I was too incompetent to even get a religion only a pantheon. I turned down the difficulty and managed to get a faith only for the AI to overwhelm my cities before I had enough apostles for defense.

My problem now is even my holy city has only a handful of my religion, and nearly double of one of the other factions. Many cities show my pantheon but the natural spread seems too slow to restore my faith in any of them, and I have no missionaries to do so. 10k faith banked and no way to spend it unless I'm missing some way around this.

I am suzerain of Jerusalem and this has resulted in it exerting power for my faith (orthodox) while not enough to have flipped my nearby 12 populace city, it DID manage to convert the nearby two population Greek city of Corinth.

I am considering assaulting pericles in the hopes of claiming Corinth, developing a temple there ASAP and using my massive faith bank to flood the map. This seems especially important since Arabia is halfway to religious victory. ( on settler? Insane.)

The issue is, will one of the citizens die when I assault the city? If so, is there any way to know if the follower will survive? Am I wasting my time here and unlikely to succeed, should I just beeline for tech victory instead ? Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Would help to have a map or screencapture so we can see your situation.

The citizen that dies from the assault may or may not be your own follower, so whether to attack depends on other factors.

Generally for a religious victory--work on holy districts and holy projects for those Great Prophet points (on lower difficulties Stonehenge may be worth going for if beelines), and use other cities to kill at least one nearby neighbor; makes religious victory much easier if you can take out an AI that often goes for religion (in my experience that's Pericles, oddly enough).

3. cll3

cll3 Chieftain

Inquisitors make it nearly impossible to lose to religion. Build a temple, buy apostle, launch inquisition, build inquisitor. They're cheaper than missionaries but can only use on your own cities. They instantly cleans your city of foreign religions and gives you about 1.5 to 2 worth of your own religion. Don't even bother playing goalie. One charge of cleansing is like 5x more efficient than what it costs enemies to try and convert you, so just let them waste their money.

If your temple seems like it might be in danger of getting converted to an enemy religion, you can make a wall of scouts around your city so they can't get to your inquisitor building temple. The rest of your cities you can just cleanse them no matter how dirty they get. Then when they're out of gas, roll up on them with your own missionaries and apostles. Or you can just declare war and smash them with military units, and then cleanse, no big deal.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  4. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

Thanks for the tips! Sorry on my phone. I'm not expecting I can win a religious victory in this game but am hoping maybe all my saved faith can push back Arabia before he does. May just end up going to war but think I will try seizing pericles city first.

Thank you for your advice. I unfortunately already let all my temples get converted this game, would it make sense to buy inquisitors of those faiths and use them on my cities even though it would remove my own? Would it make more sense to just buy missionaries and go swamp Arabia with them even though they aren't of my state founded faith?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2017
  5. VeronicaCardican

VeronicaCardican Chieftain

That depends on the specific situation. In general it's better to kill a civ that's close to religious victory rather than trying to convert them.

But if you are the last civ that hasn't been converted to their faith, yet, then conquering their cities can make their religion dominant in your civ and they will win the religious victory.

If you don't need your faith for religious units, you can either get yourself plenty of great persons to help with science or culture victory or you could go Theocracy and conjure a huge army out of thin air to wipe out Arabia (and a couple of other civs).

6. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I'm sorry, but can't resist:
    On topic. Yes, Inquisitors are a good way to protect your religion if you play defensively.
    Also, sometimes letting other civs convert your city is a good thing - it brings nice casus belli.

7. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

Your options aren't very good unfortunately. Relying on passive spread is not a good idea - it just takes too long even if you have Jerusalem. I'm assuming here that you founded the religion and now don't have possession of any cities where it has spread. I think you'd actually be better off pivoting to another victory type and using the faith to purchase Great People or adopting theocracy to churn out a bunch of units. In the future, It's far easier to take preventative measures and just declare war on someone who is trying to convert your cities to kill off their missionaries which reduces their influence, or as others have said start an inquisition if there is any doubt and then you have a surefire way to counter it. Another good way is to just keep some promoted apostles around on your home turf for religious combat when they are down to their final spread.

This happened to me in my recent game though I wasn't trying for RV - I just happened to found the last religion and then didn't realize Egypt already had a missionary in my territory and they removed it as the majority. I had no other cities with a Holy site and even building one didn't seed the city with my religion so I've basically just chalked it up as a sunk cost unless I happen to get passive spread.

Oh and I wouldn't worry too much about Arabia getting a RV. I've never seen the AI pull if off - they usually just stalemate with each other.

8. kingofsealand

kingofsealand Warlord

Thank you for all the good advice! This answers all my questions. I am planning for another victory at this point but was most worried about Arabia winning. It is good to hear it doesn't often happen he seems deadlocked with Montezuma over faith so hopefully gets nowhere. I am considering the theocracy army idea would get me a whole lots of units haha

Hahahaha good reference I thought of that as I was posting it but figured it just made sense. Thanks for the tips, I wish I had learned about the city conversion cassus belli before declaring war on Ghandi lol

Thanks for the tips I didn't realize it could be spent on great people ! The army option seems tempting also mwhahahaha so many units

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2017