1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Help test Buffy 005 (Beta Gauntlet)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

As far as I am aware there are no changes from Buffy 3 with events or Global Warming.

I'm not aware of these, are they documented somewhere?

2. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I 2nd the inquiry on whether global warming might be back.

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Just checked and the Global Warming Mod is still active like Buffy 003, I do have a Marathon / Time game on the go to check though.

Would be good to get others testing as well though!

4. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

OMG! I'm doing the BUFFY Beta gauntlet with Willem. I just got dogpiled by Shaka, Victoria, and Zara and I have no hope of pulling out of it.

What a shining example of sub-optimal play. :lol:

5. Noble Zarkon

These issues are present in 003 but it would be great if we could resolve in 005.

6. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Hmm before i start, what are some recommended settings for the most useful testing needed?
    With events & barbs for example? Any map scripts, size or other settings?

7. Noble Zarkon

Thanks!

Events and Barbs would be useful. I've done a fair bit of testing on Tiny and Small maps with Pangaea and Big & Small so anything other than those would be great.

8. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

I found no new bugs, played around a bit on random deity games (could not get motivated much for Monarch, sorry :)).
    Seems all stable and good from what i can tell.

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Smarticus Pantsidae Moderator

I haven't found any glaring issues. In fact none at all. I'm trying to fix the bug where the sea sentry icon and function doesn't show up. I'll let you know.

10. Noble Zarkon

I was the only person to submit for the Gauntlet and we really need more people to test it out so please have a go at the new one:-

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Any
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Speed: Normal
    • Map Type: Continents
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians, Random Personalities, No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
    • Civ: Any
    • Opponents: Must include Ethiopia (Zara Yaqob), Mali (Mansa Musa), Mongolia (Genghis Khan), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Russia (Stalin), Zulu (Shaka)
    • Version: 3.19.005 Beta
    • Date: 10th January to 9th February 2018
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

11. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

installed it, and trying it out.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  12. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

First a disclaimer about Buffy .005: I've not actually tried it out yet, as I'm busy playing some BUG and more importantly competitive Buffy .003 games.

That said, I played a Creative civilization in normal BUG, and noticed a little quirk. The free culture is called "free commerce" for some reason (see picture). Is this possible to fix?

A usability thing: In .003 and BUG, if you click on a tech icon in the tech screen, under the column of "can tech" (or whatever it's called), you get to the Civilopedia entry for this tech. However, if you try the same on a tech that is located on the column of can't trade or refuses to trade, nothing happens. It would be nice if this was sorted, so the behaviour was the same.

(Tiny crap that I just happened to notice, obviously not a game breaker... :lol: Somebody happened to build a national wonder in 1AD, yet in the wonders screen it was listed as 0AD. That's a little odd. For world wonders it lists them correctly as 1AD.)

More generally, it will be great to have all the diplo modifiers in Buffy too, as BUG have had them for ages, in addition to the better Espionage screen.

Attached Files:

13. Noble Zarkon

These are in Buffy 005.

As for your other points we will see what we can do but really need them verified in 005 first please.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Aye, that comment was with "will" ;)

The "free commerce" for free culture is in .005 too btw, I noticed it earlier as I happened to get Pericles. Don't know about the 0AD one, but I would assume so. Hardly game-breakers, and not sure if it can be fixed either, or if it's a game issue.

As for this:
    ...and from the Rules in the HoF:
    Presumably, since we're past January 10th, games with .005 would be accepted to the HoF?

15. Noble Zarkon

No - I'll update that, we need much more testing before we can release it from Beta status, as mentioned no one except for me has posted any games. We know there is an issue with sea sentry but we are also looking for feedback on whether or not anyone is able to attack an enemy unit and capture a worker in the same turn (without the blitz promotion) and also any issues encountered with siege weapons - details of defences not matching between the city display and the message log.

kovacsflo likes this.
  16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thanks for confirming (and updating) that. Especially given my snail pace, could have wasted a lot of time with a "can't-be-accepted" game ;)

Since I won't be able to finish a space game in time, maybe I'll try a game in the next beta gauntlet instead, if you put one more together.

17. Noble Zarkon

Cheers, I have an idea people might find fun :)

18. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Seem to recall there was talk way back about buildings in the city screen showing when they were built (on hover), so you could easier tell when their culture would double (after 1000 years). Am playing a Buffy .005 game right now, and don't see this, so was it dropped? Or maybe my memory is faulty.

Seems to play well from what I've seen so far though, and wasn't able to double- capture workers (edit: see below). Maybe you need a very specific situation for it to occur?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Did a test of the worker capture in both Buffy 003 and Buffy 005. In 005 I can declare and steal a worker with a HA, then steal another one. Fired up a similar test game with Buffy 003, and here it doesn't work. You steal the first worker, then get a "can't move" red circle for the 2nd one. Hopefully these games can help identify the issue, and if nothing else you can at least see the behaviour/bug.

Addendum: Placed an archer in the 005 save to see if it didn't work to double-capture workers after combat, but it was still possible. Try it out yourself by placing an archer in the nearest tile.

20. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

About barbs, I don't know if it was a mad coincidence due to the map or something, but I am playing a game with barbs on (but not aggressive) and they totally mauled me. Two trains of them assaulted early cities, and I lost one of them. The Great Wall hadn't been built yet, and this happened around T45 (maybe 50). I've not seen this in normal games, you tend to just get one now and then if they stray close to the border. But here they were actively invading. Could just be a coincidence, but I did find it unusual. Anyone seen something like this?

Bugger, I really should check if I have relevant saves before posting :lol: It was in T58. More came in after these, including a spear, and soon after this point I had lost one city and killed 11 barbs.

Attaching T58 and T0 saves. Totally random Fractal map, first I rolled, and with gems and a good leader I wanted to test it out. Colour me surprised and giddy when yet another gem popped up :goodjob:. It saved my bum in this game, no doubt about it. Barbs messed one of them up, but it also meant it was possible to tech to HAs in decent time and pay Asoka a not-so-friendly visit, despite having only two cities for 3000 years.

Attached Files: