1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help test Buffy 005 (Beta Gauntlet)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Hall Monitor Super Moderator

Only when I get the Vedic Aryan event, or the similar event that spawns an army of barbs at one's borders. I've been playing with the same version of BULL for years and I have never seen what you describe, unless it was a result of an event.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

It wasn't due to an event, as I'm not using events for this game. Not seen anything like that either before, so I was quite puzzled. The only thing I could think about is that there is no AI to the left (two north, one south), but there isn't a great deal of land over there either. And barbs usually don't mass-invade like that in either case.

I edited that post with two saves btw. And it was in T58, not 45-50.

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Hall Monitor Super Moderator

I shall peek at the saves. :)

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Nice :)

Don't know if this is an issue or not, but I'll mention it anyhow. Thought the barbs settled cities fairly aggressively here, given there isn't really that much land available. Two cities appeared in the south-south-west. One was recently captured by Hammurabi. Maybe the other has been too, but I don't get notified about that since I haven't uncovered the central city tile. Another appeared in the north-east, despite Asoka having several cities there. I just took it. This is my most recent save. Don't know what the rest of the world looks like, as I would need to check the World Builder for that (and I don't want to cheat).

Spoiler :

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Nothing seems unusual about the barb cities to me at all. Can't check the save for the other barb issue, as I don't have that version installed anymore, but I've seen barbs do that depending on the map and level. There's really not much that should have changed with respect to barb mechanics.

6. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thanks @Noble Zarkon, hopefully the saves and reports prove useful. Looks like nobody have checked out the worker double capture test saves, but maybe it's not needed as it's easy to replicate. It wasn't possible to attack a city after capturing a worker, but you can double-capture workers with the same unit. And presumably three times with a three-mover? :think:

Do anybody else make customised F1 screens?

I do, as I like to have the main information in one screen instead of across several. Noticed this was not present in the beta Buffy. Turns out it's stored in a file that you can just copy over, and it will work just as in .003. Go to (in my case) .../Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUFFY-3.19.003/UserSettings/CustomDomAdv and copy the file CustomDomAdv.txt to the same Buffy 005-beta location. Hey presto, and your custom F1 screens work again :)

8. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes I do and I haven't had any issues with them, didn't have to use your workaround??

Edit: Just checked and that file is present in the build already, not sure why you were missing it.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The file was there, that wasn't a problem. But it's also the file with default settings. The changes I made was in the Buffy 003 folder structure. That's why I had to copy over the above-mentioned file to the Buffy 005 folder. That way everything got back the way I like it. Thought I'd mention it in case others were missing stuff after trying out Buffy 005.

10. Noble Zarkon

Ah got you now - in fact copying that whole User Settings folder might be a good idea.

11. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

Umm, you already can do it in buffy 3 if you attack a unit at first and then capture a worker (which normally happens when you have just captured a city, and still have 1 movement point with your mounted unit). That also can mean that you can capture more than one workers even if they are on different plots.

12. Noble Zarkon

Oh that's interesting - I was positive that couldn't happen in Buffy 003.

13. SittinDown

SittinDown King Supporter

how much code was changed if this type of stuff is in question? :)

my play testing so far has been surface-level. i'm not sure i'm a refined enough player to notice little game changes like that. ...but it might be useful to diff your code base between .003 and .005 and do a code review.

14. Noble Zarkon

We've done the diff but there are substantial changes in the BUG/BULL code we are based on and we don't necessarily have the skills to fully understand the changes. We understand the BUFFY bits the add the HOF code obviously.

15. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I'm also positive that can't happen.

16. SittinDown

SittinDown King Supporter

that makes sense.

17. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I tested worker capture in 003, and was not able to after killing a unit. However, I did not test capturing a city and then capturing a worker. I don't think you should be able to, but it should probably be tested in both vanilla and 003 to be sure.

18. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

I did that a lot of times for current g-major game... It was especially useful to do this when I only have damaged immortals and wanted to make peace or vassalize an AI anyway (and they were willing to accept it). However, if I captured a worker at first, I couldn't attack a unit in that turn.

19. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

did you play using .004b ?

20. kovacsflo

kovacsflo scientist

Yes, actually it is 0.04 b and not 0.03 as I wrote before...