1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help w/ CPU to HDTV

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by ADP101, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

Well i need some help, my computer is fairly new we bought it in 2003. I wanna hook it up to my new HDTV using an S-video cable thing. I only want to see my cpu stuff on the tv not capture anything or put files on my tv, just to see it. How would i go on doing this. I looked this up online but everyone wanted to capture stuff on tv to their cpu and i dont want that just plain seeing it. Anyy suggestions?

2. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

If you have the right cables, there are two steps:
    1) Set up your comp for an external display. Different for different computers so you might have to ask someone else. Usually Right-click on desktop>properties>settings tab.
    2) On the tv there should be an input setting somewhere, just keep going through all the different inputs until you see your comp screen.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

4. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

k ill have to check

5. illram

illram Deity

You don't need TV out, you just need compatible inputs and outputs on your TV and your Video card, as your HDTV can just function as a monitor. Most HDTVs are plug and play. Also make sure you use a resolution compatible with your monitor, particularly if the TV is plasma as those are rather finicky with resolutions.

If your HDTV has an RGB or DVI input and your video card has those outputs (they always have one or the other), use either of those instead of S-Video, as the quality will be far better. Also remember you'll need to hook up your PC to speakers to hear anything.

If it's a laptop, there is usually a function button that allows you to change screens by pushing it and the corresponding F-key. If not, check display properties for different monitors and select your HDTV.

If the image looks messed up it's probably a resolution issue. Change resolution until you find one that looks good, but remember to use resolutions compatible with the TV. They'll be listed in your TVs manual or just google the model number.

Hope it works out, if you have problems post the models of your TV and your video card.

6. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

My tv is a sanyo 32" DP32647
    When u say video card i think u mean graphic card, mine is: ATI Radeon X300

I found an S-video thingy in teh back om my cpu. Im thinking of buying an S-Video/stereo audio cable http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_SWV3524_17_US_CONSUMER/S-video---stereo-audio-cable+SWV3524-17
    A universal HDTV S-Video adapter made by philips (i couldnt find the link online but i saw it walmart). The s-video will go into there then ill buy this http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_SWV3374_17_US_CONSUMER/Premium-A-V-cable+SWV3374-17

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's what tv-out is.

8. illram

illram Deity

The specs for your TV says it has an S-Video input, so no need to get an adapter. Also, your video card (graphics card, same thing) might have come with an RGB --> component adapter, if so use that to hook up your PC and TV with component cables you'll get a better picture than with S-Video.

9. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

i know my TV has an S-video output, but ill i think ill get better picture if i use the RGB cords, (And BTW, lol i think ill need the adapter, it serves like an extension cord) ;)

10. illram

illram Deity

Actually no. Quality of picture depends on where your video is being outputted from. If you're using the S-Video output from your PC, using a component cable adapter won't get you a better picture than what S-Video is capable of. If you want the best possible picture you need to use the VGA output from the PC and the component inputs on your TV. Something like the following:

http://www.google.com/products?q=vga+to+component+cables&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd

You're not worried about audio, right? Because that will need separate cables.

11. illram

illram Deity

Just tryin to be specific.

12. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

OMG thanks so much thats perfect and i have my speakers for audio so its fine, and if i did want separate cords for audio what would they be.

EDIT: K im thinking of buying this http://www.digital4cheap.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/31341/vpid/2376450/vpcsid/0/rid/123199 that will work right?

13. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

14. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

k ty all of u

15. Mike Hussey

Mike Hussey Cricketer

Hey guys, how do you watch HDTV on your PC? What cards and stuff do you have to buy. Right now I have a PC and a video card.

16. illram

illram Deity

Those look good. For audio, all you need is a Y-Connector to go from your audio-out on the back of your PC to your stereo receiver. Like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641072&Tpk=audio+y-cable

You can pick them up pretty much anywhere that sells electronics. Same cable you would use to connect an iPod/MP3 Player to your stereo, so you might already have some lying around. Good luck!

17. illram

illram Deity

I haven't done this myself yet, but here are some places that might be of interest to you:

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-4-17.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33-212.html

As far as I know it basically involves getting an HD TV tuner card and installing it in your PC or hooking it up externally, and then hooking up your Cable/satellite to that. (And then obviously hooking up your PC to an HD capable monitor with either component, VGA, DVI or HDMI cables.) The card would come with programs and instructions on how to watch TV via your PC and probably capture programs like a DVR. Essentially the same way you would do it with a regular PC TV card.

18. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

K i have the VGA to 5 component cables, now im still a lil confused about setting up. After i hook up the VGA from my cpu to the HDTV, how do i get the picture to come up on the tv? Cuz i really need this, any1 have any ideas?

19. mdwh

mdwh Deity

You probably mean VGA or DVI here - but yes, I was under the impression these would be better than TV Out (and not all graphics cards have TV Out, anyway).

If it doesn't have those, perhaps another route would be a DVI to HDMI adapter? I'm not sure how that works though.

20. illram

illram Deity

Your TV should have an input setting for "component" on your remote or something similar. (Like "DVD/VCR" or something.) Just shuffle through your inputs with your remote until you see your PC screen. (Make sure your PC is on.) Your manual should tell you how to do that if you are having trouble.