Help! Where should I settle?

FlyinJohnnyL

You need more workers....
This is going to be my first try at Monarch. After my Toku game in NC I think I'm ready to try. Picked Random leaders and ended up with Willem :D Ironic since I got my first Prince win with him. Anyhow, I've always been a "settle in place" guy for the most part. So what would you do with this start?

Is it just me, or is there no screen shot?

I see it. First impression... THAT IS ALOT OF FOOD.

Does one still receive the freshwater health bonus if you move 1S to grab the second fish in the BFC?

I smell Representation and scientists galore.

I see it. First impression... THAT IS ALOT OF FOOD.

Does one still receive the freshwater health bonus if you move 1S to grab the second fish in the BFC?

I smell Representation and scientists galore.

Unfortunately, no, it's not freshwater if I move 1S. That is what is making this a more diffucult decision for me.

Sorry about the screenshot, I'm still learning how to do that. I guess it's working now.

I'd move the warrior 1SW, if that's a peninsula down south, settle 1S-SW (where the warrior is now). That way you get fresh water from the river, plus another super city north of the starting position (perhaps 2 NE of starting point)

In place, IMO.

Early on poach the seafood with another city to the south possibly. Later on you have a sick GP farm.

The :) and even the HEALTH caps will give you problems if you go 1 south. Anywhere else seems a weaker capitol than in place ATM. You may want to move your palace for bureaucracy but either way in place is workable/pretty strong!

Isn't it annoying when the best seafood tile is just out of reach, fish always seems to end up that way for me ;)

Anyway, in place looks good, it can be a killer GP farm or even a production monster late game (all that food, plenty of plains to workshop + the hills). If you're really lucky the grassland south of the settler will turn up a horse to make it a very good start.

Another option would be to settle where your warrior is and make room for another city to work the corn, clam, pig. It'll still be a pretty good capital with lot's of food, riverside this time and some hills for production.

Something worth mentioning: if you settle 1 south, you can open with a workboat on fish (5 food), considering William of Orange starts with Fishing. I have to add to this that a workboat opening is weakened by the fact that there are no forrested plains hills about.

You can still open with Worker -> Corn anyway, considering he ALSO starts with Agriculture. Settled in place, you'd have the corn improved 1 turn sooner considering the worker can begin working as soon as it is out, instead of needing to move 1 turn to get to the corn tile.

I'd say you want to settle in place so you can build a city to the south to share the seafood with.

settle in place so you can put a decent city to the south that claims the fish/sugar, as has already been suggested.

Settling in place leaves you with only one option for a city to grab the fish, a location could be sub-optimal if there's seafood on the other coast (what can I say, I'm an optimist), and it means you can't really loan out the northern clams or the corn to a northern city.

I'd still probably settle in place, though - you can already see a nice cottage city for the fish so there's no need to be greedy, and there may be horses/metal 1S.

Come on then, FlyinJohnnyL!

We're dying to see the surrounding area! :D

Alternatively, post the starting save. Please?

Come on then, FlyinJohnnyL!

We're dying to see the surrounding area! :D

Alternatively, post the starting save. Please?

I'll post the save tonight when I get home from work.

Ah, the thumbnail had the screeny. Holy crap, 1S, 1S, and 1S seem to be the obvious choices. 1H traded off for an extra fish, let me ponder that for a microsecond.

Sid's Sushi, here we come!

The point is that you'll have way more food than you can use for a good part of the game in that city and you're going to reduce the possibility of getting another good city down south. If there are some fishing resources to the West than yeah, you might sneak in another city, but I wouldn't take the risk, nor do I think waiting to see is a valid decision.

The location down south would be a last resort expansion spot for me, as it's setup for Moai, not a serious land economy. If that's all the land you've got and you're on a tiny island, you'll need to be whipping galleys anyway.

There are already 4 food specials in the capital's BFC. Leave the fish so that there is a pre-calendar food special for the city to the south. It will not be the best city, but it becomes better with the fish that the capital won't be able to put to use in the BC era anyway.

Top Bottom