1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a bug

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ADP101, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

2. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

I think that is actually the actual city name :p

Surprising, but the zulu don't actually have an alphabet, so the names are phonetic spellings of small tribes/cities.

If you don't like the city name, for any reason (I hate them because you can't pronounce them without coughing, and choaking to death), go into the advanced city view screen (double click on the city), and click on the city name.

The city name textbox when you found a city also allows you to write a new city name, so change uMungagundovlu, or w/ever to Munga (or something, whatever you want)

3. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

I am 100% sure its not the actual name lol cuz
    1. CIV IV uses the english version of the name.
    2. The first letter is not capitalized
    3. ive played other games with some AI being zulu and they never had a name like that

4. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

It is one of their names... Deal with it!

5. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

6. say1988

say1988 Deity

1. Anglicized words from foreign languages (and alphabets, or lack thereof) can look odd, especially proper nouns and sounds that aren't used in English.
    2. Like the previous point, anglicized words can be exceptions to the normal rules of English. And a number of place names in Southern Africa, I have seen with the second (or even later) letter capitalized. Though most names seem to be commonly written both ways (probably out of ignorance of the fact that the first letter is lowercase).
    3. How do you know they aren't wrong and Civ IV has it right.

If you don't like it rename the city, though if you rename it at settling your next city will default to the same name (or at least it does for me when I accidentally hold b down too long, had Nijmegenb, Nijmegenbbb, and Nijmegen in one game) I don't know what happens if you change it afterwards.
    You could also delete that city from the list in the XML.

7. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

8. spacely

spacely Chieftain

I honestly can't believe the OP has posted this. Many Zulu city names begin with a lower case u. Its entirely common within the culture.

9. Howard!

Howard! Remembering

But when you are from the USA, you never feel the need to check such things. Obviously they would know everything!

10. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

:confused:

11. Willem

Willem Deity

Right, and everyone from your part of the world is a walking encylopedia I suppose! :rolleyes:

12. Willem

Willem Deity

And how many people actually know this? I certainly didn't. It's not exactly common knowledege for most of the world.

13. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

ok sorry everyone i just didnt know. Thanks for clearing it up tho :)

14. say1988

say1988 Deity

The big problem was when you stated, flat out, that the person who said it is the correct name was wrong. You didn't say you thought he was wrong, you said you were certain he was.

That being said, how Howard! went about it was wrong and just plain offensive.