1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with a couple issues?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by MarcusAurelius1, Nov 21, 2015.

1. MarcusAurelius1

MarcusAurelius1 Chieftain

Hello guys!! I just got Civ II Multiplayer Gold Edition (Playing it for the first time), and after browsing the forums for a while, I found the 64 bit patch

After applying said patch i opened the game, and the intro video is now a black screen, so i have to click to skip it. After I get in the game, the diplmacy screen when meeting another civ is black as well, and so is the high council screen (big black boxes that overlap other info on the screen).

Another issue is the complete lack of in-game music. the music at the main menu plays and all the game sounds work perfectly fine, but there's no music :( I tried clicking on the pick music option but it says there's no CD, which is funny cause you need the CD to run the game and I have the CD put in the drive.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated

2. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

It's most likely because you don't have XP SP3 compatibility mode enabled for your civ2.exe. Pretty sure it works if you enable it.

Side note: You usually don't need SP3 mode to play the MGE game, EXCEPT if you're trying to win by spaceship. Sadly enough, the end video is unskippable, meaning the game will just freeze if you try to finish. Works fine if you enable SP3, and conquest always works as well.

3. MarcusAurelius1

MarcusAurelius1 Chieftain

Holy crap, that worked!!! thanks alot man!!

What about the No CD thing? I wanna be able to listen to the music while i play the game

4. Barking Dog

Barking Dog Chieftain

Thanks so much for posting this. I was having the same issue and this solved it wonderfully! Thanks again!

5. UrsaMauris

UrsaMauris Chieftain

What if I play on virtualbox XP SP3 and I still have the same music issue?

6. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

You can listen music of Civ 2 just using dvd from developer,authorized,in your optical drive.Not all patches are compatible with music.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  7. CaptainKoloth

CaptainKoloth Chieftain

There’s several approaches to fixing music issues with this, see the thread I posted called updated guide to running Civ II MGE in Windows 10.