Help With an Assignment

Commodore

Deity
I am taking a Programming Essentials course and I need a little help with this week's assignment:

Design a grade average program that will produce the numerical grade average of test scores input by a user.

Your program design should contain the following:
•You must use an Array as your data structure to store the input grades
•You must use a Looping structure to initialize the elements of your array to clear out system garbage.
•The user may input up to 5 test scores. Hint: This does not mean each user will input 5 scores. 3 scores may be entered for calculation.
•You must use a Looping structure to traverse the elements of your array to produce your calculation

Now, I have the array data structure and loop just fine, but I am having problems with the rest of it. There are two things I can't seem to figure out:

1. How to get my program to accept anywhere between 1 and 5 test scores instead of requiring the user to input 5 test scores.

2. How to average the scores based on the number of scores input, instead of treating it like 5 scores were input every single time.

Our class uses RAPTOR flowcharts to program, by the way.

I would have posted this in the Computer forum, but hardly anyone posts there anymore and time is a factor so I need a quick response. I am also not asking you guys to do this for me, I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Either cap it at 5 and have user choose to exit at last test score entry or prompt for N <= 5 scores and exit UI at Nth input

Average for any N is simple once you have your data in an array

Either cap it at 5 and have user choose to exit at last test score entry or prompt for N <= 5 scores and exit UI at Nth input

Average for any N is simple once you have your data in an array

Okay I rolled back to the point where the program only asks for input for the array. Here is the C++ for what I have so far:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;
int main()
{
string raptor_prompt_variable_zzyz;
?? count;
??[] grades = new ??[??+1];

grades[5] = 0;
count =1;
while (!(count>5))
{
raptor_prompt_variable_zzyz ="Enter test grade: ";
cout << raptor_prompt_variable_zzyz << endl;
cin >> grades(count);
count =count+1;
}

return 0;
}

I already have it capped at 5. Should I add another loop that keeps asking the user if they want to input another test score before the loop that prompts them to enter another score executes?

After 10 seconds of thinking about it here's what I would do. Assuming all your test scores are already in an array A.

Initialize:
n:=0
sum:=0

for i while A>0 #put a zero at the end of your array if this gives problems.
sum:=sum+A
i++
n++
end loop.

return(sum/n).

explicitly I was thinking like

max_tests = foo
cout << "Number test scores: " << endl
cin << "%d"

if(%d > 5)
#throw statement or cout >> "error message: more than $foo tests entered" [foo = 5]
# initilize array size %d here

#do for or while loop here of cin statements as you have
#maybe cout << "Confirm test entries " << $array.start : array.end << endl at end to avoid ID10T errors on user's data entry

apologies for not knowing any syntax offhand, I actually just recently [as in <1 week] read up some on c++ for fun but never programmed it myself (e.g. I dunno how to explicitly require %d user entry) and am not a programmer in general

good c++ practice may be to used std::bar() rather than using namespace std when using bar() from std library though. I wouldn't know but that's what my intro guides tell me!

edit:

\n I think is more common than endl

oh, also remember 0-indexing in c/c++

grades(0) is the first grade, I believe so, not grades(count) when count is initialized to 1.

Thanks guys, this was just the nudge I needed. I have completed the program and it seems to be working as intended after a dozen or so test runs.

I don't know why this one was giving me so much trouble. I am completely new to programming, but all the other assignments up until this one were a breeze.

We need an official homework thread!

If you can use a dynamic array, you could just check the length while you calculate the average. If the length is 2, add up 2 values and divide by 2. If the length is 3, add up 3 values and divide by 3. But since they want you to clear out the array data of "garbage" using looping, I'm assuming you can't do this.

I would also write 2 functions, one to calculate the average, and one to ask for input. Just to make everything look cleaner. I think all your other questions have been answered. Take my post as a "would be nice to have" type post.

Bored at work. Bugger manual memory management and looping. C# and Linq:

Code:
using System;
using System.Linq;

public class Program
{
    private static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        if (args == null)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("No arguments specified.");
        }
        else if (args.Length < 3)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Too few arguments specified.");
        }
        else if (args.Length > 5)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Too many arguments specified.");
        }
        else
        {
            double average = Array.ConvertAll(args, double.Parse).Average();
            Console.WriteLine("Average score: " + average);
        }
    }
}

Hey, that's pretty slick. Now that I think about it functions would be overkill. I just always got bonus marks for adding functions, teachers seem to love them.

Adding functions makes the code significantly more readable and maintainable. Any added processing/memory load because of new methods is negligible at best, unless you have a knack for making methods that load up new variables, which is unfortunately my achilles heel when programming.

Top Bottom