1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with city razing

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Potatoe985, May 1, 2004.

1. Potatoe985

Potatoe985 Chieftain

i have ptw and whenever i take a city it automaticly razes the city. how did i turn this off?

2. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

The city is always automatically razed if it is size one and has no culture. Is that the reason?

3. Potatoe985

Potatoe985 Chieftain

yes that is probably the reason because the cities that were being destroyed were size one. thank you a lot.

4. JMK

JMK Chieftain

A city is automaticaly razed when:
    - The attacker has 0 culture in the city.
    - The defender has <10 culture in the city (no cultural expansion).
    - The city size is 1.
    - The city citizen is of the defender's nationality.

5. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Why does the game do that? I wouldn't mind taking those "useless" cities, so that I could build them up to useful cities... :confused:

6. Illusion13

Illusion13 Chieftain

Notice how you dont get to keep the full city when you attack one? Or when you bombard the deleted out of one? Its probably the same idea... And, even huge cities lose 1 or 2 pop when you take it over...

7. rcoutme

rcoutme Chieftain

BTW, the manual says that if there is an improvement in the city it is takeable. I have, in fact, done this. If the city has a harbor (or a barracks, although finding that out is difficult to say the least) then the city will still survive. It must have produced a civic improvement in order to survive. For the purposes of libraries, temples, etc. it may need to have >10 culture as well (since the buildings automatically do not survive). Marketplaces may also keep the city going.

8. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

Yet, we got rep hit :(

9. knacki

knacki Chieftain

Since it's not our initial decision to raze the city after having defeated the last defender, I hope it hasn't been implemented that way. I can understand the rep hit when the player decides to raze the city, but not if it wasn't his first goal !
    Or else that means that we shouldn't attack size 1 cities without having investigated it first :confused:

10. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

You get a rep hit if you attack a civ while inside their borders though...

11. knacki

knacki Chieftain

Well this can be avoided quite easily.
    But if we have to use a spy everytime we want to attack a size 1 city to be sure it won't be razed after having taken it... :wallbash:
    Well, make love, not war, then !

12. maharaja

maharaja Chieftain

Yesterday I took over 2 Korean city with size 1 but those 2 cities were not razed. When my army reached there (on their city tile), no body was there, I was expecting some defence but I got the pop-up to setup new governer. What could be the reason?

13. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Was it early in the game? Often in the ancient times (less often in the later game), AI will abandon weak cities to protect their larger ones. That could be a reason. Or else, the city was fairly new and hadn't built a defender yet (and couldn't rush).

14. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

the cities must have had culture already, but the defender probably been killed by barbs.

15. chunkymonkey

chunkymonkey Procrastinator

In a game a long time back I was playing as aztecs on a pangea map with seven other civs with the conquest condition. early in the game i pretty much wiped out all babylonian cities but i decided to leave a few so the bab's could be like my pet i guess. :D well, anyway, towards the end of the game i had conquered all the other civs so i decided to just to walk into the babylonian cities with my tanks whilst i knew they were still researching gunpowder. strangely, all their cities were empty. :confused: if i'd had cared to place a spy in their capital i'd have known this but couldn't be bothered, i think that game might have been too easy. but i just found it weird there was no resistance at all. There was just a couple of workers plodding around. crazy. :crazyeye:

16. binyo66

binyo66 Chieftain

U dont have to investigate. If it has cultur border expanded already, than it wont be razed. The problem is, the computer doesnt know if its intended or not (infact, nobody knows), then he just assumed intended :D

17. djpjnr

djpjnr Chieftain

ive found that in civ3 i cannot sell there buildings once ive taken them over from battle, but in civ2 i could sell the lot and then disband? or is it just plain razed civ3

18. rychan

rychan CS geek

I can sell buildings in captured cities like crazy in C3C, not sure why you can't djpjnr

19. JMK

JMK Chieftain

This is half right.
    There are not so many buildings that you can sell once you take a city.
    NOT SELLABLE IMPROVEMENT
    Aqueduct, Hospital and Great Wonder*.
    (* If you take control of the Pyramid or Sun Tzu, then you will be able to sell your Granary or Barracks - just make sure you really control the city before selling your own improvements).
    IMPROVEMENT AUTOMATICALLY RAZED when you attack a city
    All cultural improvement, Temple, Cathedral, Library, Uni, Colosseum and Research Lab, Small Wonders and palace will move to anoither ciy.
    All other Improvements can be sold, although some building could be destroyed during combat.

At the begining of the game, if you take a city, you will roughly be able to sell a market place, courthouse, a Barrack (if the civilization does not control Sun Tzu) and/or a Harbour (for coastal cities).

20. djpjnr

djpjnr Chieftain

its pretty simple when you stop and think.
    thanks you jmk