Help With CIV 3 Editor

thorhammer

Chieftain
Quick question,
Where can i find the links for the Civ 3 Editor? I found one but it no longer worked (couldn't download anything)
Do I also need to get a patch for the game for the editor to work? If so where can I find this?

I am probably jsut overlooking something small, but haven't been able to figure this out :(

Thanks! :D

The editor used to be available at macgamesfiles, but seems to have gone missing. Since it was distributed by MacSoft, and they no longer have the Civ franchise, I suspect they've pulled all their Civ-related products. Email me at alanh <at> civfanatics.net.

You need to use version 1.21g to run the editor. There's a later patch - version 1.29b2 (see my sig for a link) and that will run maps created with the editor, but you can't create a new map using that version's civ3mod.bic file.

I found the editor online and the patch, but there is a catch. When I download it is is a .sit file. So i use Stuffit-expander to unstuffit (I did this with the editor to and that worked) But what do i do with it than, once it is unstuffed? I will double-click the thing i unstuffed and it opens up Civ3. But it is still the old verson:mad: !

Please help!

The 1.21g patch should open as an installer when you double click it. It will look for your copy of Civ3 and do its thing to update it. It shouldn't open Civ3 itself. When you open Civ3 after the patch has finished it should show version 1.21g in the bottom left corner of the main menu screen.

The editor application has to go in the same folder as the Civ3 v1.21g application. There must be no folder between them. Note that it's a Mac OS X-only application - I notice we still have OS 8 and 9 users around here.

Hi folks. I recently up-grade my eMac to MAC OS 10.4.6, and after that, I open the editor and something is wrong, because of the colours and lines
that appeares in the map. Any help ?

That's a bug in the editor. It appeared when Tiger arrived, and I very much doubt if MacSoft have any interest in fixing it, as they no longer support the Civ franchise since Aspyr won it.

Why did they remove the add units aspect of Civ Edit? I used to have a PC and switched to Mac and I was very familiar with the old Civ edit for PCs. I can't seem to get any custom units to work (all I can do is change graphics of existing units)

I know I can't add units, but I was wondering if there is any way to successfully replace units in editor with custom ones? I'm missing the complete customizability of the PC the version that made this game so much fun. Does the PC version work with Virtual PC (XP)? I keep getting a crash when I try to use a new unit, but I think it might be something I missed in the editor. It's version 1.21

Moderator Action: Moved from separate thread. It's not a different enough topic to warrant a separate thread from the previous question. [

There's a mod for the editor to add Add buttons in some screens. You need to hunt this forum for posts by DiamondzAndGunz or senecasax, I think. It provides a .mib file that you put inside the Civ3Edit application package.

thorhammer said:
I found the editor online and the patch, but there is a catch. When I download it is is a .sit file. So i use Stuffit-expander to unstuffit (I did this with the editor to and that worked) But what do i do with it than, once it is unstuffed? I will double-click the thing i unstuffed and it opens up Civ3. But it is still the old verson:mad: !

Please help!

Where did you find a working link to the editor? (Or, alternately, if you see this post AlanH could you mail me a copy? jemango AT yahoo DOT commie.)

JoAT

efeterm said:
Hi folks. I recently up-grade my eMac to MAC OS 10.4.6, and after that, I open the editor and something is wrong, because of the colours and lines
that appeares in the map. Any help ?

I have the same problem running the Civ3 Editor on my Ibook under Tiger. I am getting used to in and it is not such a big problem anymore. I have discovered that turning on the map grid helps in locating where things are placed. If I need to get around the problem for some reason, I do the editing on my Power Mac which is still running 10.3.9 or my Imac. If you do editing on a Windows box using the Play the World editor or the Conquests editor, the files will transfer okay to your Mac. We have been doing that as well, starting just recently. This is the first time I have really found a use for a Windows box, along with Age of Empires III, which is not out for the Mac as yet.

Hi Guys

Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

Is the basic poop that to open map files created with

Civ 3 Edit v 1.32.1

you need

Civ 3 v 1.21?

I have Civ 3 v 1.16 and when I try to open my custom map it says:
"Unable to open. Version 3.08 no longer supported."

Thanks for any clarification.

hexagram

Hello welcome :wavey:

I believe Civ3 v 1.16 is ancient, though I'm not sure where it came from. I had 1.14 on my Civ3 CD in 2002 AD.

So it won't read maps created with the only Civ3Edit that exists for Mac OS, which require version 1.21g or later.

Alan, I have the Civ3 editor from Macsoft, and I am going to see how far I can stretch it to at least approximate the Play the World editor for the PC. Do you have any idea what the copyright status of the editor is presently? I would be interested in working up some sort of license arrangement with whoever the holder is, and making at least a basic editor available to the Mac community. It looks like I should at least be able to add the new resources in as a minimum, and likely the new terrain, plus add some additional resources from some of the mods, if I can get permission from the mod makers. I have a small publishing company, and would bundle the editor with a mod making guide.

You would have to contact MacSoft. No one else can tell you what access you might be able to have to the editor source code. Note that the editor must also include some Firaxis code. It generates random maps using the same random seed as the game, and it presumably handles the .bic file structure in the same way as the PC version. So even if MacSoft were interested in letting you have the code, their past arrangement with Firaxis may make it impossible to do so.

timerover51: You also need to consider that many of the mods include other copyrighted material, which seems to be fine for "my own mod", and even for posting places like this for free download. But when you start "publishing" them on a CD, and charging for them, you can run into all kinds of legal headaches. When Firaxis bundled a bunch of fan-made mods on the PTW disk, the had to virtually gut many of them, in order to get past copyright issues.

Actually, it looks like the Civ3 edtior for the Mac was done by or for Infogrames, who apparently has the copyright. That outfit is owned by Hasbro, and I have had some previous contact with those people, none very productive. I may just see about posting the editor to the forum for a free download. Anything it generates runs fine in Civ3Complete. It is just the flakiest bit of software that I have ever seen for the Mac, exceeding even AOL and that is saying an awful lot.

Hi, I'm a first-time poster with a quick related question.

I have Civ3Edit v1.32.1 and Civilization III v1.29g currently installed. The Civ3Edit crashes and I see here that I need my Civ to be v1.21g for the editor to work. So if I reinstall Civ III from my disc, and update it to v1.21g, then my Civ3Edit should work. (Am I correct?)

So do those of you who use the editor just play v1.21g then? Or do you have 2 versions of CivIII (1.21g & newer) on your computer? Or do you keep both updates handy and patch the game every time between using the editor and playing it? :confused:

Thank you for any advice.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

You have to use 1.21g when you create a new map or scenario using the editor. However, once you have saved it you can play it in 1.21g or in any later version. Of course, you will not have any of the new features of the later versions, and the rules will be based on those of 1.21g.

You can have multiple copies of the Civ3 application folder on your hard drive, with different patch levels or different mods installed, and launch the one you want.

Top Bottom