Help with CiV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jbsoccer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jbsoccer

jbsoccer Chieftain

Hello. I'm new to CiV and to these forums. I currently play on Prince. I have been able to achieve Scientific, Diplomatic, and Cultural victories. I want to try a domination victory but the few times I have tried I have had lots of trouble. I own the spain/inca and Mongolia DLC. I have been watching the forums for a similar question and cannot find one so I decided to post. I would like recommendations on map type, Country to use and how I should go about achieving this victory. I either can't capture an enemy's city or I capture a few cities and I am really unhappy. Thanks

2. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

Welcome to CFC. Try to limit your cities' sizes and make sure you are building colosseums in all of them. Puppet or raze newly captured cities. When waging war I often let the AI attack me so I have the benefit of defense with a fair number of ranged units to destroy the invaders. Then you can enter their land pretty much unopposed. Good luck.

3. Babri

Babri Emperor

For pure warmongering, I would suggest you Pangea. Another good choice would be Terra. New World in terra will help civs like Spain & England.
    Some civs for warmongering :-
    • Mongols (excellent UUs, arguably one the best ones for offense + swift speed helps in retreating if the battle don't goes well.)
    • Songhai (extra gold for pillaging. Very helpful when u are on attack. Their UU is another great unit which can take down cities easily while having mobility.)
    • Romans (Iron heavy early UUs but if you get some, you can steamroll enemies. UA helps to rebuild quickly & develop newly conquered cities after you have finished a war)
    To capture cities you need to have the following things :-
    • Enough infantry to attack (atleast 3-4 to be on the safe side).
    • Few cavalry units. 1-2 will do. They aren't compulsory but they can really help in catching annoying archers & siege units.
    • And most importantly siege unit. You need about 3 of them or more if the city is very strong. Without them you'll take very heavy losses.
      Also you need to place your units well. Try to get your infantry in forests & hills. If the enemy deploys too many archers, then get cover promotions for your infantry & siege units.
    I assume that you mean that your empire becomes very unhappy. ;) Try to puppet cities when you capture. When they get out of resistance, annex them if they are worthy. Otherwise wait for some time & annex later on. When you annex them, build courthouse (or rushbuy) ASAP. This makes them even better than normal cities (from happiness perspective) due to a bug from. :D I hope it helps.

4. Brichals

Brichals King

There is a new Succession Game being opened over here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=408
    SG Egypt:powerslave

on King level. I would recommend any players wanting to break into that level or higher to check them out.

You can also lurk in one I'm doing and follow us, make comments etc. That's the von Munchausen one. I think we may be too far in to add a new member but people can always comment.

5. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

You might be trying to dominate too fast. Don't be afraid to slow down a little and regroup after taking a couple cities. Let some colosseums and circuses get built, adopt a new policy, and heal your units. If you are solidly winning your edge should only get bigger via :c5science: during that time.

If your goal is to just smash everyone as fast as possible then just raze cities. That will solve your :c5happy: issue there.

Also, consider going for social policies that pay off more in empires with lots of cities like the one that gives +1 :c5happy: for each city connected to capital under Liberty or the one that gives +1 :c5happy: and +2 :c5culture: for each city with a garrison under Honor.

As for the civs to use, I am partial to Japan for a domination victory because they can really hit hard even while beat up from a long conquest. Also consider Persia...in a golden age your troops will cover a lot of ground fast and the Satrap's Court building (replaces Bank) will give +2 :c5happy: in cities. Puppets like to build this one as well.

6. JWAT44

JWAT44 Prince

i would say always stay ahead in technology and keep a maximumly upgraded military when possible

7. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

A good one is with the Aztecs, use Monty, build nothing but Jaguars from the start and research to iron working. Take some honor SP's, get the free liberty worker, when you connect iron, take the nearest city and upgrade everyone to swordsmen. Dominate the world.