Help with desert hill green fringe

rhodie

Bwana M'Kubwa
I am working on a new desert scenario and have modified the original Civ III green hills to brown desert hills. Although the surrounding map terrain is desert, the game always creates a green fringe around the desert hill. I have tried adding a desert base below each of the desert hill graphics, but the green fringe persists.
Does anyone know how to eliminate the fringe?

well if you changed grassland to desert your problem would be solved. But that would take alot of time and work.

Thanks Yoda
I have already tried modifing each individual image in both xdgp.pcx and xdgc.pcx image files to desert/plains terrain/coast, but these just compound the problem somehow, adding lakes and grassland where they shouldn't be. To stop that, I went back to the original pcx files. My new hills look good but the green fringe remains.
Rhodie

what about putting desert under the hills, in the hill.pcx(or whatever its called). Then the desert would overlap the grassland.

cool program there steph.. When is it finished?? Where is the thread for it??

Back on topic, hills are a form of overlay terrain. The base terrain for hills is always grassland. There is no real way to do this in Civ3 right now. The best you could do is draw the rest of the diamond to match with the desert. This would only work on hand made maps, it would look bad on random maps.

Thank you all.
I did place a plains image below each image in my hill.pcx as suggested, only to find that the surrounding terrain squares on the map were still green and were now highlighting the plain square below the hill.
Anyway, to get around the 'grassland' base and the surrounding squares, I am busy covering all the terrain pcx files that have any 'grassland', with plains and desert. Those that I have finished so far, seem to be working.
As these amended pcx files will effect all maps, they will best be used for specific desert scenarios and retained within the specific scenario 'Art\Terain' folder.
I am also creating a sand dune pcx.
I'll supply a copy of all for others to use once I know everything works.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Cheers.
Rhodie

I don't have Civ3 installed right now (formatted just recently), so I am taking this off memory.

If you rename XGGC to XDPC, and rename XDPC to XGGC, that should work.

I'm not sure which grassland tile the hills use exactly (tho I am sure it must be in the XGGC file). Hopefully when you rename the files, it will use one of the desert ones instead of one of the plains or plain-desert mixes. Give it a try!

Top Bottom