Help with figuring out my civ's issues?

Psyro

Chieftain
So for the past 2 weeks I've been trying to make a custom Culture based Civ of my own after getting tired of using the base civilizations. I've had multiple attempts. A few worked but had problems with the buildings, others where minor errors. But after fixing each error, i always ended up stuck in the end with something I couldn't fix.

T_T So I think it's time I ask for some help here. This is my latest attempt. I can get it to load, can't get my civ leader select screen to scroll, the settlers won't settle; hoping that when they finally do, I get my free custom building in every city i settle afterwards; and yea :/ Ill worry about the art & dialog after . If anyone's curious, I'm using the Spice & Wolf mod as my template: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283130827

1. It's better to just take the mod from the game's MODS folder, zip it, and attach the result directly to a post. It is far easier to look at your actual code and the actual structure of the mod as it is being seen by the game than any attempt to determine what you are doing wrong by analyzing descriptions of the problem, or out-of-context snippets of the code.
  2. Very often what a new modder thinks the problem is and what the problem actually is are two different things. Having the actual mod as you are currently trying to use it allows us to look for the actual problem, and if all else fails to simply drop the mis-behaving mod into our MODS folder and run the mod to see what the game tells us.
  3. Zip the version of the mod the game is actually trying to use, which will be found as a sub-folder in ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS. Zip the whole sub-folder for your mod.
  4. See: whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial Just bear in mind that the process for actually adding the zip to a forum post is now different since the CFC website software was updated a few months ago about a year ago. To attach the zip to a forum post, look for a button called Upload A File when composing your thread reply: this button opens a browse menu where you can select the zipped folder to attach directly to a forum post.
  5. If the zipped folder is too large for the forum to accept then upload the zipped mod to a file-sharing site such as dropbox and provide a link where the mod can be downloaded.
    • Mediafire is not really a very good choice any more because they have become rife with spam and malware, as well as attempts to get you to download unwanted and uneeded kludge by confusing the layout of the download pages. You'll note for example that Mediafire links are no longer allowed on Steam, whereas CFC (this site) and dropbox links are still allowed.

Also, whoward69's enable error logging tutorial. Inspection of the Database.log should give you some clues as to what is wrong with your mod.

One thing I noticed in your leader trait is that you have
Code:
<FreeBuilding>BUILDINGCLASS_OBSERVATORY</FreeBuilding>
This is incorrect usage for table Traits. You need to directly state the building-name:
Code:
<FreeBuilding>BUILDING_ASTRAL_STAR_GAZER</FreeBuilding>
The requirements for column <FreeBuilding> differ between table <Buildings> and table <Traits>, as does the implementation. FreeBuildings given by a trait conform to all the terrain and tech requirements, so once you fix the issue with incorrect usage you still would not necessarily see the free buildings appear in the city from the start of the game.

One final thing: you placed this thread in the forum for completed tutorials and references.

Ah, I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong place. But I very much appreciate the help! I'll see what I can do with this & give an update if it works out. Thank you thank you~

Attachments

• Astral Kingdom (v 1).zip
    13 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom