1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Govnt. civics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ADP101, Jan 24, 2008.

?

Favorite Governmantal civic

1. Hereditary Rule

11.4%
  2. Representation

60.0%
  3. Police State

4.3%
  4. Democracy

24.3%
  1. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

So what is your guyses favorite governmental civic? i always have a hard time choosing cuz they all dont seem that great to me.

Monarch: for earlier cuz cities are always unhappy

Representation: For an SE economy?

Police State: For warlike civs

Democracy: 1+ hammer per town and can spend gold to finish city

2. hossam

hossam Deity

ill usually stick with heredity rule till mid-late game, where ill switch to something else based on my situation. but civics change arent a problem for me since i am always playing a spiritual civ.

3. TheFreshMaker

TheFreshMaker Chieftain

Herd. rule for around mid game when happiness can be a problem. If I can get the pyramids, Representation all the way! Police State is good if I am stuck in a war and I am desperate.

4. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

I love representation. Free happiness where I need it (as opposed to Hereditary Rule; it's a waste to have troops beyond the riot control in my cities... when not conquering someone, I prefer to have them live off someone elses land).

Police State only when it's necessary, and probably not at all in the late game - I love my corporations. Democracy occasionally has its uses.

5. Wacky

Wacky Warlord

The all got there uses

6. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Hereditary rule early game, Universal Suffrage late game. I love the hammer boost.

7. say1988

say1988 Deity

Hereditary Rule- I use it almost every single game, unless I build the pyramids.

The other three have their place (some more so than others), but they are less versatile.
    If running CE, Universal Suffrage is great (more cottages, more hammers, and more potential gold to buy with, if desperate).
    If running SE, Representation is great (lots of scientists=lots of beakers, and happiness where needed)
    For Hybrid, I generally go for Representation as its benefits are more don't require as much specialization.

Police State is a one trick pony. I hate to use it, but in a long drawn out war (which generally means it was initiated by the enemy) I may need to switch, primarily due to WW. If I am fighting on my terms I would prefer the bonus hammers and ability to buy units to the +25% production, as cities normally either have enough production already, or little enough that +25% is pretty much pointless (compared to what a cottaged city gets +25% from forge in US).

As already stated though, Spiritual civs (or the Christo Redentor) is great, constantly changing civics can work out quite well.

8. rcoutme

rcoutme Emperor

I will usually take Representation (if I get the Pyramids) first. Monarchy is great if you lack :) producing resources--especially before calendar. Eventually I find that I have the cash to be able to use Universal Suffrage and can greatly expand my empire at the end of games (Yeah! Sid's Sushi and Mining Inc. Rock! :smoke: )

The poll does not ask which timeframe, so I listed Representation. That is usually the first one I will take if possible.

9. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

Yeah, I think that's they key - the timeframe. Early game, hereditary rule is great for happiness, as I generlly am hitting the happy cap. Mid game, representation is good, but later-mid game (if that makes sense!) after the cottage economy is up, I'll go Democracy for the boost.

10. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

I spend the majority of my game in Universal Sufferage. Occasionaly a long war will force me into Police State. If I get the pyramids I will always run Representation until there are enough towns to justify Universal Sufferage. If not, I usually run Heriditary Rule and then transition directly to Universal Sufferage.

But certainly, Universal Sufferage is best for a peaceful CE, although not quite as useful now that the Kremlin has been nerfed and the Mining Corporation makes it less necessary to buy all of the improvements in developing towns.

11. kokomo

kokomo Warlord

My reminiscence of older Civ games force me most of the times to be at Democracy.

Why? I like spending money for hurrying up things

12. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

but...where's despotism? :D

Seriously, Representation for me. Police state in rare occasions.

13. Draknith

Draknith King

When I have control of the Pyramids I will go representation as soon as I can. I use it pretty much the whole game, changing the other civics to bonus my gameplay. After Rep. has afforded me an excellent point in the mid-late game, I run Universal Suffrage.

14. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

Rep overall, because it works very well with a SE, and gives you early happiness bonus with pyramids, so it's very viable late and early game. Also has wonderful synergy with all of those wonders/other civics which give you free great people, military instructors, landed great people, etc.

I often take US over it for late game though, when I'm running a super heavy CE.

15. Ball Lightning

Ball Lightning www.sporedum.net

16. IAM

IAM Emperor

I think rep. is a better civ but so many games I'm desperate for early:) that her. rule has a much bigger impact. So I voted for Her. rule.

17. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

The nice thing about Representation's happiness bonus is that it A) focuses on what tend to be your biggest problem cities, B) just happens, without any strings attached, whereas with hereditary rule you need to add in units. For widespread happiness problems though, HR is without a doubt the way to go.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I normally get Hereditary Rule as soon as possible and switch to Representation when I can and stay there. I don't build the Pyramids any longer because I think it's way too powerful in the game.

19. ADP101

ADP101 Warlord

i always thought rep wasent the most pop 1 lol

20. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Representation and SE.