1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Greece tiny islands map

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by WhoGnu, Feb 15, 2014.

1. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

Can anyone offer a few tips or suggestions for playing Greece on a tiny islands map. Map is small on King difficulty.

I have already been beat twice my Darius of Persia and have started a few more games where he takes and early lead and I give up.

I have only been playing Civ V for a couple of months and have been playing Greece exclusively for about a month and have been fairly successful but this map has be baffled.

Perhaps some games just can't be won although I think on King it should be do-able. I do have starting bias turned on so I have a good location.

Any ideas?

2. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

tell me how to first get and then post a screenshot of my starting locale I would do it.

Thanks

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

If you hit PrintScreen, an image is saved in your C:\Users\Home\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots folder. Open the image in any photo-editing program (I use a freeware program -- Irfanview) and save as either png or jpg format.

Once you have your image, compose a new message (or edit your original post), click Go Advanced, click the paperclip icon and the rest is pretty clear.

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Easiest way to get one is to just use the built in camara in your phone as the default print screen is in a weird format while all phones use standard jpeg.

As to tiny islands & Greece. Best to use Privateers to take enemy cities (pre build Frigates as first ranged unit and upgrade; use those to bombard coastal cities)

I'd skip the Greek UUs entirely on such a map. The only land unit you'll want is Archers/Composites/Crossbows in your cities.

Build 2 or 3 of the first naval units to go make contact with city states and fulfill their city state requests. Consulates is probably the best filler policy after Tradition while waiting for Rationalism as Greece.

5. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

This is my start position.

Jon. You lost me on Consulates? Still a newbie sorry.

Attached Files:

6. geolawyerman

geolawyerman Chieftain

Consulates is a social policy in Patronage that increases your base influence with city-states to 20. And for that start position, I would move the warrior to the plains hill further north to see if there is a better position there.

7. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

Thanks for the info.

I have either settled on the initial spot or on the gems as shown in this pic in my games thus far. Do you think a better location is appropriate? I hate to spend more than one turn without settling.

Attached Files:

8. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

No, the Gems is definitely the best settling location. You get everything you want out of it. Unfortunately the rest of the island is total trash so you need to take your settler off coast to find a place for your next city. You should have gotten a Trireme out ASAP to start exploring.

...Actually looking at the map again you probably did??? Shrug.

9. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

settle the gems. Conquer the world with naval units.

10. joncnunn

By 20; it stacks with "pledge to protect" which also increase the base influence by 5. This isn't perma-friends but as Greece it greatly increases the number of turns you'll be friends following a quest if you already had 25 points of influence (instead of just 5) right before the quest.

11. joncnunn

On the start; this is a very typical Tiny Island start; with no good place for a second city on the starting landmass.
    Building two of the first naval units to explore is important to find good spots to settle, finding city states, and finding natural wonders.

12. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

I understand that patronage works well with Greece as I have used that to my advantage in my previous games with Greece.

I still have a lot to learn. Thus far I have left the CS alone and made friends of them as much as possible. I wonder sometimes if I should take over one or two?

In my latest attempt on this map I took over two CS nearby rather than expanding with settlers. I am doing well but still trail Darius I in points. My history with this map suggests that he will win with a cultural victory before I can either go diplomatic or science. But time will tell.

I am considering a dominance victory this time. I have already taken my nearest neighbors capital but I have not had much luck with Greece and DV's at this difficulty level. Better luck with science and diplomatic. I would like to punish Darius but I am fighting warmongering diplo penalties and unhappiness too.

I don't have any experience with the tiny islands map type so that is why I am asking questions. I thought it would improve my overall gameplay to learn the style since I have avoided them in the past. I am still learning the mechanics of naval warfare so I am disadvantaged in several ways.

Thanks again

13. joncnunn

Nope, there are extreme diplomatic penalties to conquering a City state. You are actually better off diplomatically taking the last city of a major AI than taking a city state.

14. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

but I have to say my game is going better than all the rest. I should win a domination victory this time. My first win on this map.

Am getting used to naval combat.

Thanks again

15. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

I think on a Small Tiny Islands map you're likely going to be playing for Domination as the easiest win with almost any civ. The goal here is Frigates, then getting them the +1 range promotion asap. After that, any civ can dominate, especially on King level.

Greece doesn't get any particular edge with this, but if I were thinking around that civ, I'd look to Pledge to Protect city states, adopt Patronage for the opener but otherwise go the normal full Tradition and Rationalism route, then boost influence by sending Cargo Ships when they ask for them, which should support economy and happiness at same time. That'd just be keeping things going till I get Frigates, of course.

The Greek UUs not so useful in this context, as ancient era land war is their forte.

You may want to think about trying other civs to see how the game works. England on a naval map is always a nice easy introduction to naval warfare.

16. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

Thanks for the help but WHY??? Why is the Domination victory the best for this map? That is what I don't understand.

I have won this game already with Domination and now am playing another Greek on islands game and am finding the same thing to be true. I am isolated in this one and no barbs on my island so it's tempting to build wonders and go for science or culture. But I am finding that I wind up sucking hind tit if I go those routes. Looks like another DV for this game.

I do intend to play other civs as I move forward. I have just been concentrating on the Greeks for a while for no particular reason.

Also, if I may, another question. How does one copy just part of the quote from the previous post on this forum? I can only seem to copy to whole post??

Thanks again

17. lankypeter

lankypeter Chieftain

For a small, island map domination can be the easier/faster route because frigates our very strong and it can be easy to sweep in, conquer a coastal capital and then move on to the next victim.

This doesn't mean you should always go domination; it just tends to be easier (or faster) than alternative options, in the general sense.

18. lankypeter

lankypeter Chieftain

If you want to quote just a piece of text, click the "Quote" button and then delete the text you don't want included in your reply while still maintaining the QUOTE tags in the response text.