1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Happiness

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Babybasher, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Babybasher

Babybasher Chieftain

I am using the mod pack: Mods_VP_2019-04-20_EUI

I just can't figure this out. Specifically the unhappiness from food/production distress. Firstly, which is it? Food or production!? Why are they clumped together?! I look at individual cities, check the figures for food and production, yet have no idea which one I need.

This game is a local MP game with me and my GF. I'm Carthage, she's the Inca. 3 other AI civs. I've been winning the whole game, by quite a large margin (however lately with my unhappiness I'm slipping).

These 2 screen shots show how bad it's got.

https://ibb.co/kqPfMn1
    https://ibb.co/5YYySCC

I changed my ideology as my people wanted autocracy instead of Order, just made them unhappier after doing so.

I've been building all buildings recommended by the advisors.

I have the highest population in the world. But the Inca have more cities, yet they're happy. I did expand quickly to claim land, but I havnt made any new cities for hundreds of years I think. They're all pretty developed.

Also, why like 95 unhappiness from poverty!? We're making money.

I automate all my workers and don't touch anything in cities except for deciding what to build.

Save file for anyone interested:

https://ufile.io/x8ddufy0

2. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Happiness is based on city yields efficiency per population, so the bigger your cities or your empire, the harder it is to be happy. Anyways, move to June's versions as happiness has been made local, therefore it is much easier to manage.

3. Babybasher

Babybasher Chieftain

Awesome!, however I'll have to wait until Moi Magnus updates his mod pack. I use his from this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vp-modpack-magnus-mutatio.639974/ The latest version he has is from May. I'll have to wait until he updates it. Will ask in that thread now. Thanks for the answer, glad it's been made easier :p

4. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

@MoiMagnus, any estimated delivery time?

5. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

It's local in his version (he's using May 20). I think Happiness thresholds are actually more strict in following versions, though the city modifier is lower, so he may have an easier time with expansion.

Anyway...
    You can increase either. That value is the average taken between :c5food: and :c5production: so increasing either yield will help with unhappiness, though :c5food: has the catch of growing your cities which can make Happiness harder while :c5production: helps build infrastructure to manage happiness.

The problem, I think, is that you simply grew too many cities too large. Unhappiness is capped by the population in a city and exponentially grows the more citizens in a city, so just halting Growth at 20-25ish citizens could have been a better move. This late in the game I think there just isn't much you can do, the damage has been done.

You could do damage control though, like make that 38% approval rating at least 40%+. First you could dig up any Landmarks you can as those give you +1 :c5happy: per non-puppet city (in this version at least), which is huge. You could also maybe resolve Religious Unrest (if you've founded a Religion or own a Holy City and haven't reformed, you should definitely do this) by buying Inquisitors for your majority Religion and ousting the non-believers, and/or building Temples. If you have cities with spare :c5production: but no good buildings you could try putting that :c5production: into diplo units to ally City-States, especially Mercantile ones. If you have a Corporation that could help too.

Infrastructure > Yields for Happiness this late. Build Hospitals, Banks, Custom Houses, Military Academies, maybe Coal Refineries as you have a lack of Coal and those provide valuable :c5production:.

Distress/Poverty are the most common sources of unhappiness so that's just something you get with population growth. If you hover over the happiness tooltip it'll tell you what the needs are and what the modifiers that got the needs so high are.

Either put resources into fighting :c5unhappy: or just leave it be...you might just be at a point where you say "Screw it!" and try to chug through your way to victory through the unhappiness.

6. Babybasher

Babybasher Chieftain

Oh great. I was running one of his version from April. Have upgraded to the May one and will start another game tonight. Yeah, I did build lots of cities quickly :/ You mention halting growth in cities. I never touch those options in cities, might try toying with it next time if i grow to fast again (I can't help myself claiming as much land as possible) :p

Thanks.

7. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

We don't recommend using the stop growth button, except for some specific cases. It is more efficient to switch your workers to work on fewer farms and more mines.

8. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

Monday evening. I'm out of town this week-end. (And was kind of busy this whole beginning of june)

tu_79 likes this.
  9. Babybasher

Babybasher Chieftain

How smart are the workers at managing this themselves? I automate them, so leave me to it as I thought they'd know best. Not the case?

Then again, the workers are flat out stupid with deciding where to go. I'll have 'trains' of workers (stacks of 5 or more) moving to exactly the same tile to improve. Sometimes I see them go from one end of my empire to the other, only for one to do work while the others all move as one to the next tile, and the cycle continues. I always wondered why workers didn't 'talk' to each other, to avoid this.

Oh, and thanks MoiMagnus. Looking forward to it. We exclusively play your modpack :p

10. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

They used to be pretty smart, except for some cases where they were sent on holidays to a far away island city. Ilteroi did something to solve that, but I haven't tested that yet, I'm micromanaging them in the early game, and I haven't been able to reach mid game in a while.

vyyt likes this.
  11. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

Done.
    (And by the way @Moi Magnus has a space in it)

tu_79 likes this.
  12. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

You are the most helpful guy I know, and you dare to use spaces in your nickname? :nono:

:lol:

13. Bhawb

Bhawb Chieftain

I usually auto my workers around Renaissance. By then they're either fixing up the ruined wreckage of whoever I just conquered or sitting around waiting for railroads.