Help with modding: Reverting CBP changes

pineappledan

Deity
I am trying to re-add hakkapeliitta to Sweden and move the Carolean back to rifling, as they were in the base game. How do I overwrite CBP's changes to these units?

Would it simply be easier to delete these units from the table and create identical units from the ground up?

For the Carolean, you could just do

UPDATE Units SET PrereqTech = 'TECH_RIFLING', ObsoleteTech = 'TECH_COMBINED_ARMS' WHERE Type = 'UNIT_SWEDISH_CAROLEAN'

The Hakkapellitta already has an entry in the DB, so I don't see why you can't just make the required changes to it and add it back as the Swedish lancer replacement. Just match it to the lancer's DB entry, and make sure nothing's different that's not supposed to be. SQLite is super helpful for that.

Not really sure why you would need to move the Carolean as well, if the idea is that you don't want the civ to have too many unique units active at the same time the fusilier Carolean has the same problem as the Tercio one.

I believe the Carolean was moved forward because it gave Sweden its power spike when Gustavus Adolphus was leading Sweden. Caroleans are modelled after troops from the great northern war, however, and are anachronistic as tercio replacements. Gustavus was famous for his reforms of the pike-and-shot formations, NOT for replacing them outright. Re-adding hakkapeliitta as lancers gives Gustav his Renaissance power spike back without using a unit that hadn't been invented yet, so Caroleans can be safely returned to where they belong.

I believe the Carolean was moved forward because it gave Sweden its power spike when Gustavus Adolphus was leading Sweden. Caroleans are modelled after troops from the great northern war, however, and are anachronistic as tercio replacements. Gustavus was famous for his reforms of the pike-and-shot formations, NOT for replacing them outright. Re-adding hakkapeliitta as lancers gives Gustav his Renaissance power spike back without using a unit that hadn't been invented yet, so Caroleans can be safely returned to where they belong.
Actually, if I remember correctly they were mostly moved because the era didn't really make sense. Like they were using flint-lock muskets, not rifles, and the existed roughly around the same time as the minutemen, which at the time were gunpowder unlocks. Felt kinda unreasonable that the Caroleans would be that that far ahead technologically over similar era units, given that the Swedish empire was built mostly on training, guts and strategy rather than superior technology.

Also, sneaking the Swedes a unique lancer replacement at the end of the renaissance era does not really give them a renaissance power spike :D.
Yeah Caroleans unlocking before the Hakkapeliita makes absolutely no sense either but Gustavus Adolphus coming online around the time of the Field gun instead of the Cannon also makes very little sense.

And gameplaywise the gunpowder tech makes sense, it's the same tech a lot of other mid-game military powers comes online.
Also I still hear complaints about Sweden being boring because all their stuff unlocks so late, so moving it all later would probably not be a very popular move.

I’m planning to move Hakka to gunpowder, because Gustavo was famous for integrating the first combined arms, mixing cavalry, infantry and artillery.
There’s a bigger difference between musketmen and tercios then there is between musketmen and fusiliers, and moving Hakka splits things a full era apart. Also a fusilier is defined by their use of a flintlock musket, as opposed to matchlock. Caroleans used flintlock, so it is appropriate to consider them fusiliers. Caroleans are best known for their use under Charles XII. 90 years later, different king, different war
WRT their uniques coming late, Sweden is also getting a unique baths replacement in classical.

Last edited:
Caroleans are best known for their use under Charles IX. 90 years later, different king, different war
WRT their uniques coming late, Sweden is also getting a unique baths replacement in classical.
Charles IX was Gustavus Adolphus father, definitely not 90 years later :D

Sorry, Charles XII. 30 years war started in 1618. Great Northern War started in 1710

Top Bottom