1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Help With Noble Please

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Eggolas, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Eggolas

Eggolas Warlord

I've started playing Civ4 for the first time on Noble after reading the forums for awhile. I'm still pretty bad, making numerous mistakes (yes, that is a fishing boat on the clams where I can't use them). :)

I used the CS slingshot. The first GP I used to join London. The second was a GS and I built an academy. The third is a GP and I'm not sure what to do with him or why.

I've been building some swordsmen and catapults to launch a war against either the Chinese or the Americans, but I suspect I've waited too long. Shouild I try to expand further with settlers or try to attack the Americans?

I'm also not really sure what to do about research at this point. I knew where I was going initially, now I'm not too certain.

Finally, is this position sustainable on Noble or have I made too many mistakes? Thanks.

2. Tatran

Tatran Deity

A few comments.
    You should have saved the prophet for a shrine.
    Why archers?Axemen are much better.
    Instead of building an army,why don't you work on
    your relations.Convert Roosevelt and maybe Peter too.

3. Dusty Monkey

Dusty Monkey Warlord

You have 2 neighbors.. convert one and bribe him/her to declare war on the other. Join in when asked. Double your size. +3 Our mutual struggle...

Then you find you still have 2 neighbors.. one is now very friendly and can again be bribed to attack the other...

..you see where this is headed?

4. Willem

Willem Deity

That's a matter of debate. IMO Archers are much better for defense, and cheaper too. Axeman are primarily offensive.

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

@Willem
    It's all about strength.Most attackers are axe- and swordmen,so
    another 50% bonus for the defending axeman.With Combat I +
    Shock they are almost unbeatable.On the other hand if the city
    is build on a hill maybe the archer is a better defender.
    (Promotions conflict : Garrison I or Guerilla I ?)
    The archers have a lot useful promotions if you stick to one type,
    but their strength is too low

6. Willem

Willem Deity

Archers start with 50% city garrison, then can gain 3 ranks in Garrison promotions after that. Starting with a strength of 3, that puts them at a final strength of 6.75 on city defense. Axemen start at 5 and if then they can get 3 ranks of Combat, that puts their total defense strength at 6.5. Plus Archers get First Strike and cost 2/3 as much as an Axeman to build. And they don't need resources. As for an Axeman's melee bonus, that gets nullified if the attacker is another Axeman, as they get the bonus too. So the only real clear advantage for Axemen is against Swordsman. However the majority of barb attacks are by Archers, with some Axemen. I seldom get Swordsmen come knocking on my doors, though that might be because I play on Noble.

Over all, it's probably a fine line as to which is best as a defender. But since the Archer is cheaper to build, I'd say that fact tips the scales in it's favour. Of course it's no contest which is better on offense, the Axeman wins hands down there.

7. Dusty Monkey

Dusty Monkey Warlord

I believe you under-estimate the lowely archer as a defensive unit.

The axeman bonus doesnt help when defending against axemen, but the archers bonuses do.

While there are times when the archer will be outgunned while defending a city, its short because after 1 promotion the archer becomes a god that defensively trumps all rookie attackers 'cept Praetorians until Macemen arrive.

And then if you pay to upgrade your Godly Archer, he becomes a Godly Longbowmen (or better, a Godly Crossbowman since you are so concerned with attacking melee units)

Axemen just upgrade to macemen :( Thats fine if you are attacking, but they arent exactly the greatest defensive unit.

8. Drofd

Drofd Chieftain

By then if I'm not mistaken you should have macemen which makes the whole debate irrelevant.

9. Admiral Kutzov

Admiral Kutzov Idiot Emeritus

gotta get machinery for the maces to work

10. LordOfTheDrinks

LordOfTheDrinks Chieftain

Played a little, seems ok. Attached the saved game. It's AD 1000 now, two american cities in the south are now ...mmm ...let's say closer to Lizzie. Confucian missionaries all over Mao's lands... Defenses in place in all cities... Isabella declared war (eh, what to expect?) but, for a decent price (philosophy) it's Mao's job :D, that's why he exists... still :evil:

11. n0xie

n0xie OCC-addict

... and that's how the famous spearman vs tank saga comes to life :rolleyes:

Never underestimate promotions. Archers with City Garrison II are scary. Very very scary. Especially if the city is on a hill and they get 40% culture bonus. You're army of City Attack (II) Axemen will be torn to pieces if you try to capture that city. And by the time you upgrade them to macemen, those archers have become Longbowmen, and they're even more scary...