Help with Pitboss under Steam .. pitboss on second machine?

skeezix

Chieftain
hey guys,

I've just set things up in a slightly unusual way; I've got a server in the basement that I set up Civ IV Complete on via Steam, and can run Pitboss there.

I've got another purchase of Civ IV series I can run locally on my main PC, and thus can connect to pitboss just fine (as can friends.)

Problem: I'd like to use Steam on my main desktop, but of course.. it seems Pitboss under Steam needs steam running, and steam is single-login. So to keep my Pitboss server up, I have to leave Steam on the headless server in the basement, and lose all my other games (like Skyrim!)

- I didn't check running Steam 'offline' if it would let me run Pitboss in offline mode (?), which would make it okay; just thought of that now.
- any other ideas?

tl;dr -- the reason its complicated, is I'm running it udner Wine on Linux.. no Windows installed; installing Civ IV Windows edition into Wine is hard, since Securom or whatever DRM is on the media makes it unountable except to Windows or Mac :/ So I had to install the Steam version into Wine.

Anyone tried to use Steam Pitboss on another machine and still kept Steam on their preferred machine?

jeff

If I can sort this out, I'll leave pitboss up for awhile and can host some other peoples games if they need.

For what its worth, that does seem to work; rather than delete the post, I'll leave it up in case its useful to someone else someday.

- kill pitboss
- Steam -> file -> Go Offline
(this option refuses until steam apps exit, hence the first step)
- Restart steam (check that File now has 'Go Online' so you know you're now offline)
- Start up Pitboss

Steam is now available on your other machine.

I didn't try Steam to Stream connection, that just seems tempting fate :)

jeff

Top Bottom