Help with the Myceneans

Breunor

Deity
I played a game with the Myceneans last night. Lot's of fun!

But I am having trouble. The Illyrians set-uo in the North with ther unique unit (Kambsors) and it is hard to get room to expand. I admit the starting city is awesome.

Anybody have experience with playing them? I did rush them and took territory once, but then getting others is hard. Once I took out the Illyrians but then get hit hard by the Dacians after winning and exhaustive war.

It looks like the Illyrians move to the territory in modern Yugoslavia but aren't moving into Italy. Therefore, one potential strategy is to make a naval empire, taking over islands and southern Italy as the Greeks did in real life .

Another is to try to get copper/miining/bronzworking, get strong units since you have copper, and conquer to the north to get some space.

Any one have thoughts or experience?

Best wishes,

Bruenor

I've never actually played them, but the AI often choose to invade Illyrians and Dacians. I think it'll be easier to invade on land, as developping across the seas will force you to research naval techs and to produce a sizeable navy, which will be detrimental early in the game (and having colonies on numerous island risks to overextend your military, and multiplies the border conflicts). Needless to say, I recommend an early aggression, as you'll need to already have an empire when western and eastern empires will expand your way (your position is central, you'll have bazillions of foes).

I haven't played recently (so can't remember resource allocation), but I bet you can choose yourself which of Dacians and Illyrians to invade, resource-wise.

So, go right north, and bring civilization to those naked barbarians !

I've never actually played them, but the AI often choose to invade Illyrians and Dacians. I think it'll be easier to invade on land, as developping across the seas will force you to research naval techs and to produce a sizeable navy, which will be detrimental early in the game (and having colonies on numerous island risks to overextend your military, and multiplies the border conflicts). Needless to say, I recommend an early aggression, as you'll need to already have an empire when western and eastern empires will expand your way (your position is central, you'll have bazillions of foes).

I haven't played recently (so can't remember resource allocation), but I bet you can choose yourself which of Dacians and Illyrians to invade, resource-wise.

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Breunor

15 Civ medium sized map.

I did win the last game, rather easily, its time for me to move up a level, although I think there are some serious problems with the mod.

I rushed the Illyrians, took two cities, got a few religions (really important in TAM). I had about 6 cities and then went after the Romans. We got into a tremendous naval war which I finally won (timber and Greek Biremes make me too good at it) and then landed. In three wars I conquered them. I think it is good to take down the Romans and Lydians along with the Illyrians to keep maintenance down.

I finally got open borders with Carthage and my merchant ships along with my conquest and shrines kept my economy alive.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Hey buddy, those are my ancestors you're talking about! :mad:

Well, nudists should feel offended by your reaction...

As for the 'barbarian' qualifier, I only gave the greek point de vue about your ancestors. Would I have known them personaly, I'm sure I would have been impressed by their rich personality.

Top Bottom