help with visibility issue

Walter R

Great Engineer
Something I can't explain has been happening in some of my recent games.

I have a triplane/fighter/jet in a location well within 6 tiles of a target city, but either:

the target goes dark after a turn or two, or
the target is never visible

In similar vein, sometimes some of the tiles well within the 6-tile radius are dark.

Am I being really dumb here or does this sound like a bug to you?

You have to have a unit that is close enough to your target to keep them in your view. If you don't have any units near the target, it will remain dark. So it may well be within your range of attack, but not within your range of sight. If that makes sense.

It makes no sense, but aircraft cannot 'see' by themselves. In an older Civ (can't remember) you had an option to do a sweep and lift the FoW for the remainder of that turn.

It makes no sense, but aircraft cannot 'see' by themselves. In an older Civ (can't remember) you had an option to do a sweep and lift the FoW for the remainder of that turn.

I'm pretty sure that a fighter-type aircraft is supposed to always see 6 hexes in all directions (providing it hasn't just moved to it's current location that turn) - I guess the Devs assume it is patrolling the skies or some such. I just wondered if there are any legit exceptions to this that I'm not aware of, otherwise it is definitely a bug. Interestingly it hasn't happened in current game, my sole triplane seems to have standard visibility.

I'm pretty sure that a fighter-type aircraft is supposed to always see 6 hexes in all directions (providing it hasn't just moved to it's current location that turn)

Yes, that is how it is suppose to work. Re-basing the fighter spoils the sight and I think carrier-based fighters lose sight when the carrier moves. If you attack with the fighter and it dies, the sight disappears, but otherwise I think visibility sticks.

Interestingly it hasn't happened in current game, my sole triplane seems to have standard visibility.

You can always try posting a save if you can reproduce the bug.

Top Bottom