1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping to fix trade: Global effects for special resources

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ikael, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Ikael

Ikael King

One of the many things that needs a bit of rework in this game is how little trading resource happens, which in turn makes diplomatic negotiations a much more drier, irrelevant affair.

That is the logical consequence of making every resource a strategic one: there's little incentive for trading resources rather than keep hoarding them, an effect encouraged as well by tie-ing different affinities to certain resources. As it is now, resource trading is a zero sum game. So how could we fix that?

I think that a very good way for resolving this situation would be to make strategic resources confer a set of general, empire-wide bonuses, giving them utility beyond allowing you to make more buildings or units. This way, trading resources would be a proposition that would make both trading partners richer, rather than merely "swap buildings / units".

These are the effects that I would suggest for having access to each different strategic resource:

- Firaxite: +15% science in all your connected cities
    - Floatstone: +25% to culture and growth in all your connected cities
    - Xenomass: +4 global health and +1 health in all your connected cities
    - Petrol: +4 energy in capital and +30% energy in all your connected cities
    - Alluminium: +2 production in all your connected cities
    - Geothermal: +20% to wonder production in all your connected cities

What do you think of this idea? Good? Bad? Perhaps it could improve with different resource effects?

2. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Interesting. In my opinion, the strategic resources are already valuable enough and don't really need feel like trading material, so I wouldn't add these effects to them.

However, I do feel that the loss of luxury resources made trading (and gameplay) less interesting and I like the direction you went.

If Civ:BE introduced a few new resources and added some similar effects to some of the current basic resources, it could be quite interesting. You could even mildly align them with an affinity, something like this:

Harmony Resources:
    Fungus: +2 food in capital, +1 food in connected bases
    Resilin: +4 global health

Supremacy Resources:
    Copper: +3 energy in capital, +1 energy in connected bases
    Silica: +1 orbital range

Purity Resources:
    Coral: +10% worker speed
    Gold: +2 culture in capital, +1 culture in connected bases

Then, if you have access both affinity-aligned resources for 30 turns without interruption, you gain a free affinity level in said affinity (only once per affinity).

That way, you can replicate the dynamic of luxury resources but get interesting different gameplay effects.

3. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I think the way resources are used right now is already good as it is, they're just not used for much and that's really the problem. Especially the Basic Resources don't really have buildings that are worth getting (Fruits etc. don't even have any at all).

Trading Strategic Resources for some serious bonuses is also really questionable if you ask me - the AI literally has no idea what to do with the resources and as a player you could probably get ahead quite a lot by abusing trade. And I honestly don't see why passive bonuses for just having a resource would be more interesting than trading resources to have enough of them to construct strong buildings.

I'd rather have them add more buildings that need local Basic Resources so city placement becomes more important.. and just increase the strength of stuff that uses strategic resources.

4. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I kind of like the idea of tradable resources that aren't just health focused.

If not that, generally making resources more powerful would be nice.

This is my rough concept for resource trading bonuses:

Silica +10% Science

Gold (Somewhat rare resource) +10% Culture and +5% Energy

Earth Crops - Produced by Terrascapes +5% Food and +5% Health

Earth Livestock - Produced by Domes +5% Food and +5% Culture

Implants - Produced by Optical Surgery +5% Science +5% Culture

Augments - Produced by Augmentery +5% Science +5% Production

Sentry Turrets - Produced by Defensive Perimeter +15% City Defense

Soma - Produced by Soma Distillery +5% Health +5% Culture

Designer Lifeforms - Produced by Gene Smelters when Designer Lifeforms is researched. +5% Food, +5% Science

5. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

It seems good. It would give a huge advantage to strategies that are wide and not tall. It could work with more tinkering.

6. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

The only way I can think of to help tall play would be bonuses that only work at positive health, so they don't fall so behind in the expansion period where wide colonies tend to go into low health.